Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1936 Chevy coupe questions

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Leroy 701, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Leroy 701

Leroy 701

Hi, I picked up a 36 chevy 5w business coupe last year and have just had it in my shop waiting till now.
    I am working on the drive train now, I would like to get it to the point where I can drive it while I work on it. I'm doing this car for my wife so it wont be a hot rod just a good running simple old car, its in good complete shape just needs to be gone through over the next couple years.

It had a 6 cyl with a manual trans, I have a good running 6cyl from a 60 chevy that I want to install.
    My questions are:
    I would like to use an automatic transmission if possible, I have a good turbo 350. Would I need to use an adapter plate to mate that to the 6 cyl? and if it would mate up what would be a good route to go for a tranny crossmember? I'm thinking I would have to make one but wasn't sure if something was offered.
    I am also thinking of using an s10 rear end.
    This is the first 30's car I have worked on and don't know much about them but am learning and enjoying it.
    If anyone has any good leads on catalogs for aftermaket supplies that would be great.
    also any good info that you wanted to pass along would be appreciated.
    Thank you
    Jon

2. Leroy 701

Leroy 701

Here are a couple of pics, I pulled the old motor and tranny today

Attached Files:

• 3.jpeg
      3.jpeg
      File size:
      136.1 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpeg
      4.jpeg
      File size:
      129.6 KB
      Views:
  3. F&J

F&J

The TH350 won't be a direct bolt to that pre-63 six cylinder block.

There must be an aftermarket adapter for that swap.

Your coupe is one of two styles in 36; Yours is a Standard model with a very odd 4.25" bolt circle on the 5 lug wheels. The other coupe was a Master with 6 lugs, and was a 3 window.

4. Leakie

Leakie

5. Leroy 701

Leroy 701

F&J, thanks for the info. I was assuming I probably needed an adapter to make that work. Anybody have any good leads on an adapter? I havent started searching for that yet but have seen them on the web for different applications, always like to hear of a good referral.
    My car actually has 6 lug wheels and the knee action front suspension.

Leakie, thanks for the links, I will check those out. Any and all other info is greatly appreciated.

6. 41hemi

41hemi

Your car appears to be a Master(side hood stainless). If you have 3 gauge pods, it's a Master. If you have 2 gauge pods, it's a Standard. Never seen a knee-action with six lugs;mine had the 5 on 4 1/2" pattern. Six lugs were found on the straight axle cars.

7. F&J

F&J

I think you are correct on it being a Master, but we are both wrong on small details;

The Master was 6 lug, and I now "think" I see 6 lugs on the car?

Also, the 36 Standard I have here has painted headlight buckets, but is missing the entire hood. The car here also does have the I beam with the 5 lug small pattern 4.25" bolt circle. Very odd pattern.

8. cooger

cooger

Correction. My 40 chevy with Knees had 6 lugs std. stock.
    FYI, not sure what years, but pickup 15" wheels are available with 6 lugs and work good if you want wider tires.

9. I have a set of absolutely mint hood sides for a '36 Chevy standard if anyone needs them.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

up to 62 even a v/8 automatic tranny wouldnt bolt to a six . u are going to have to do some research on this app.

11. kennyg1931

kennyg1931

to put a 350 trans behind a 235 try Bendtsen trans adt. in HanLake ,Mn. #763-767-4480. also use a 4 dr s 10 blazer rear end / they are 58 inchs wide drum to drum / will work well ! Good luck !!!

12. Leroy 701

Leroy 701

Excellent info, thannks guys.
    The car has 3 guage pods and 6 lug, knee action so I guess thats all as it should be.
    I was talking with a friend with a lot of 30's car experience and he thought I should use the powerglide that was with the 60 6cyl. It is a good working trannny so that would be an option and no adapter needed.

13. casper50

casper50
    from alaska

I put a 65 Elcamino 6 cyl with powerglide in my 39 chevy pickup. worked great.

14. indyjps

indyjps

If you've got a powerglide that works, use it. If you're going to the trouble/cost of an adapter consider moving to a 200r4 or 700r4, the lower first gear and OD would make a really nice driver.