Register now to get rid of these ads!

1936 Chevrolet 3 window coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by weldoriam1, Dec 26, 2010.

1. weldoriam1

weldoriam1

and to the Dude, I bought the car from a guy named Terry in Auburn, WA, last summer, don't know how long he had it, but I know that he DIDN'T build it.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  2. Weldoriam1
    You don't need to put your name at the end of every post.
    We know who you are ... lol

3. dbradley

dbradley

My first car, '36 3W. It was a former Bell Telephone car, I was 12.......... $10. Complete car and I got it running with tune up parts and a battery. Not bad for a $10 car. (Of course this was in 1957)

4. Painfulbanter

Painfulbanter

(I had to edit this now that im learning the site)

I have a 36 3 window for sale. I've dropped the starting price but I just gotta find the right buyer. Hell of a find. It's not what I'm looking for I have a 30 chevy frame so model a coupes considered. Pm me. I gotta get started on something else. I keep thinking of bringing it home from storage and working on it but it's the wrong car for me and I just don't see the point in building a car that's not my dream car. Any trade considered, maybe you have a car that I would have never considered of owning. Hit me up with any facts or anything I would love to talk to anyone who knows anything about it!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  5. 36 Rodder

36 Rodder

1937 was the first year of no wood in all Chevy's. Some late model year '36 sedans came though all steel (I believe only the 2-doors), but as far as I've determined (I've had my 5-window Coupe for 20 years) none of the '36 Coupes or Convertibles were all steel.

6. 36hplandspeedracer

36hplandspeedracer

The 36 three windows are very uncommon. Below are pics of the 36 Master Deluxe I bought in 1961 for $150.00. It served me well in my junior and senior year at Excelsior High in Norwalk, California.

[​IMG]

To me, this was the equivalent of a 1936 Corvette as it had the knee action front suspension, rumble seat(with dual inside rear view mirrors so the passenger could see into the rumble seat), a factory radio with a rubber coated multi band antenna mounted under one of the running boards, factory heater and continental kit. And chrome headlight buckets!

[​IMG]

Dad and I replaced the head gasket(and sealed it with gasket sealer-little did we know!) and it took me to many school activities and cruising through Harveys Broiler in Downey and on Bellflower Boulevard. It was on it's second paintjob, a color matched olive green with factory pin stripes.Great memories!

I have looked, but never seen another 36 Chevy three window coupe. I have found Buicks and Oldsmobiles with the same basic 3W coupe body, but no Chevy's. I sold the little coupe a year later for $135.00.

1936 Chevrolet Assembly Line-If you have not seen this before, enjoy!

A 1936 Chevrolet assembly factory. Note the automation that was already in place, the workers lack of any and all modern safety equipment, glasses and helmets, and they ALL know exactly what to do and its getting done. Note also that when the body comes together with the chassis that it is in FULL trim, Interior, windshield, all glass etc. is already in place as it is dropped onto the awaiting rolling chassis. Simplicity at its best. Note too when the metal finishers are checking the sheet metal for minute and tiny flaws and defects that they are wearing heavy leather work gloves. How would YOU like that repetitious job of placing 3 rivets in the 3 holes on the chassis.

http://www.dump.com/2011/07/15/fascinating-1936-footage-of-car-assembly-line

I hope it is still out their as a classic or rod just cruisin' along.

Burly

7. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

Very nice looking car. My friend used to cut these up all the time back in the 60's to make stock cars glad to see some made it through.

8. el 36

el 36
    from nevada

i got a 36 5 window coupe but my has a rumble seat

Attached Files:

9. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Looks like a very cool rare bird! I don't think I've seen more than a handful over the years...

10. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

During mid-late 36 GM production there were all steel cars built only in the Chevrolet Standard line which included only 3 body styles flatback 2 door and 4 door sedans and 5-window coupes.
    Steel-structured doors and little structural body wood.
    37 was the first year for GM producing what most call the all-steel bodies throughout their lines though there were wooden package trays and spare tire platforms in them.

11. 36hplandspeedracer

36hplandspeedracer

Yup, had one of them 37 five window's too, in fact it was my first car. The 36 3W seen earlier in the thread was my second:

[​IMG]

The wood platform in the trunk served me and my buds well when we would set three across the front bench seat and three facing backwards looking out the rear window, butts on the wood. A six passenger single seat coupe.

It also served me well carrying my lawn mower and edger(inside the car, trunk closed!)to my lawn mowing jobs.

I don't look sixteen anymore!

Great memories...............

Burly

12. Nice looking car. Good luck and welcome!

13. 36hplandspeedracer

36hplandspeedracer

14. 36coach

36coach

Late 1936 2 door cars with an x in the body I’d had all steel doors. Wood remained as the main framing mtl