Register now to get rid of these ads!

1935 vs. 1936 / coupe vs. sedan ford rear fenders?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Revhead, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

I have two '36 fords, a coupe and a 2dr sedan, both in pieces. I searched for info on this and I see that sedan and coupe rear fenders are different, but I haven't found what exactly is different.

I am trying to make sure I have a good set of '36 coupe rear fenders. The two that came with the car seem to line up with the body fairly well, but then compared to the one that came with my sedan, I don't see a difference at a glance.

My coupe is supposed to have all it's original parts.

I know my sedan was pieced together from years of swapmeets.

If any of you have pictures of the differences between the coupe and sedan fenders that would be great.

Also '35 vs. '36 I've tried to compare images on google, but i get mixed results and a lot of the cars are modified. It looks like the '35s have a swoopier, line to the top of the fender after the wheel arch as opposed to the '36, is that true?

2. booboo

booboo
    1. oHIo

36 rear fenders ahve a more pronouced peak at the rear of the fender and 35 are more contoured to the rear of the body pan

3. PDQ36

PDQ36

The Coupe & Roadster rear fenders are longer overall the extra length is behind the centerline. The flange differs a little as well.

35's have a concave profile behind the centerline on both the front and rear.

A pair of '36 Roadster fenders at a recent swap meet were going to cost me $1200 and they needed repair. I passed!

There waas a chap on here making some & they looked superb but I cannot find the thread.

4. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

Well I'm still confused as to what I have. I tried one of the fenders that came with the sedan on my coupe and only a few bolt holes lined up and the flange was a little thick at some plaves. Other than that it seemed to be the right length though. the tail pan and fender met up correctly and all.

I pulled another fender out of the stash and looks to be shorter if anything, but it has a narrower flange and a different bolt spacing.

Attached Files:

5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The '36 coupe rear fender is about 1-1/2"-2" (I didn't measure them) wider than the sedan fender. When I got my coupe, the driver's side rear fender was a sedan and the passenger's side was a coupe. The bolt holes from around the middle of the wheel opening to the front are the same, but the bolt holes from the middle to the rear are different between the coupe & sedan.

I have both sedan & coupe rear '36 fenders in my shop and, if you'd like, I can take a pic of them side-by-side tomorrow.
    -Bob

6. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

that would be a big help, Bob, thanks.

7. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Revhead,
    Here's a couple of pics of the two fenders. In the first pic (from the running board end, the sedan fender is on the right and the coupe on the left. Note how the five bolt holes from the running board to about mid fender are spaced the same.

The second pic, shows the fenders from the rear and the sedan is on the left and coupe on the right. Note how the (3) bolt holes from the rear - forward are not spaced the same.

Hope this helps,
    -Bob

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

Thanks everyone for the help. I was happy to find that I do in fact have a pair of actual coupe fenders for my coupe.

9. if your in the neighbor-hood....West Commerce....drop by and look at my 36...pics in my album

10. I have a battered pair of 36 coupe rear fenders, but the flange area is solid...I am going splice them together with sedan fenders and see what happens! I will post pictures soon.

11. I'm thinking back a few yrs but I believe the coupe fenders have 7 mounting holes while the sedans have 8. The swoop thing mentioned above is also true. Also the spacing 'teen the crest of the fender & the body mount is about 2" different...I have both so I'll do the drill tomorrow when its daylight & my old eyes can see them!

12. carbuilder

carbuilder

Is this the fender you were thinking of.
    S6302423.JPG

S6302421.JPG

S6302087.JPG
    All hand formed.

13. Rumor is $4000 for a pair. I am going to make a pair of sedan fenders into coupe fenders. I will post my build in a thread as soon as (camera) tech difficulties cease!

14. Above post is right for a quick glance 7 holes coupe,8 sedan. I have 1 of each.

15. I have the drivers side rear coupe fender with some work needed but not that much & photos available but i guess nobody is building as I've got NO response on Craigs list or here & at $500 not 1/2 of $4000 it's affordable. Also a sedan passenger side rear rough, $125. email [email protected]

16. Small world Jr!!! :D

17. Retrorod

Retrorod

My car is worth more in pieces than as a driver!!

mkal88 likes this.
  18. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

Bob Drake has recently started shipping his repro '36 coupe rear fenders and the reviews I read said they are spot on as far as fit and quality. They are not cheap, but another alternative for those that can't find any repairable cores.