Register now to get rid of these ads!

1935 Truck Tranny ID?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sunnyorm, Mar 17, 2009.

1. sunnyorm

sunnyorm

Can anyone help me ID this :

Tranny 1935 Truck?

Top of bell above inspection hole H II345

under case at back 48 7006 L

reinforced rib bottom of case (runs from front to back)

Thanks, sunny:confused:

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

the 48-7006 is number for bare 3-speed case casting, the design introduced in 1935 with room for 10 and 11" clutches. Same trans as passenger car...this is a commercial, not a truck, in Fordspeak.
    The other number...cast in or stamped in?? Not a Ford part number, likely a casting identifier of some sort if cast. If stamped, it is a puzzle.
    Your serial number should be stamped into flat surface immediately above inspection hole...it would be 18-#######. Brush it off and see what there is.

3. sunnyorm

sunnyorm

is commercial prized or junk or in between?
    HII345 i located,but lost again, a chart saying the H was sometimes used for Lincoln Zephyr tranny?
    when you brought the thread up, were their photos, mine doesn't have the photos i put in?:confused:

Thanks, sunny

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  4. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

The picts didn't make it through. The commercial is basically the designation for the 1/2 ton pickups, not quite a real work truck :) I suppose not designating as a truck might have allowed registration like a car instead of a truck.

I posted in your other thread about the H11345 being the SN/Engine Number. Are there stars on each end? You taught me something new, I did a little searching and did see that the "H" did designate Lincoln from about '36 (I didn't get any closer than that in my limited search) I didn't realize that Lincoln used the same boxes as Ford. Like everything that old though, you will not know for sure that it has desireable gears inside until you open it up, too much got swapped around over the years. Good luck.

5. Hoop-in-JAX

Hoop-in-JAX

The real value of your transmission depends on whether or not you own a 1936 Zephyr with the same ID number, H11345. The vehicle's ID number was stamped on the transmission rather than the engine.

Otherwise it is the same as any 1936 Ford passenger/PU unless:

The really popular gear ratios that Zephyrs are known for didn't show up until 1940 ... in side-loader column-shift transmissions (which will fit that case.) However, as Falcon says, who knows.

Remove the top, count the teeth on the forward most gear on top, the Main Drive Gear ... 15 or 16 teeth, Ford or early Zephyr (15 less likely) ... 18/19 teeth, later Zephyr.

A Zephyr set should have modern blocker synchros with a 3" ID big fork ... the same if gears were replaced with newer "1939+" gears. Check Mac Van Pelt's excellent site for gear identification:

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_transID_3speed-gears.htm

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_home.htm

6. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

Hoop-in-Jax, good info. I vote that it is just a replacement then and likely doesn't have the close ratio gear set since that Lincoln box didn't come with them. I have a fat fender 1/2 ton and I really don't think the close ratio gears would be an improvement anyway. Maybe for a light roadster.

7. manyolcars

manyolcars

For those who are confused, 'truck' means big truck,
    A pickup is on the (almost) same chassis as a car