Register now to get rid of these ads!

1935 ford wire wheels on later drums

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48bill, Mar 29, 2007.

1. 48bill

48bill

A while back (with my advanced age it seems like breakfast was a while back) Ron Ceridono published a tech article in “Shop Manual” section of Street Rodder Magazine on installing 35 Ford wire wheels on 1940 to 48 drums.

I thought I had saved it at the time but apparently I have lost it or lent it to someone who lost it and/or can’t recall borrowing it. (that’s another dilemma of aging, your old friends forget too).

Can someone help me with the month and year that it was in the magazine?

Thanks.

2. Andy

Andy

You need some support rings in the wheels to make the mounting surface flat. The wire wheels(Ford and others) have a step to match the step in the drums. I sell a set of rings and others do also. Mine are $44 shipped. Speedway sells for $80 plus shipping.

Attached Files:

3. the-rodster

the-rodster

Andy, is the preferred method to tack weld the rings to to the wheel?

Rich

4. 392_hemi

392_hemi

MT car products sells rings. I don't think they need to be taked in place. Just slip them on the drum and then put the wheel on.

5. Roza

Roza

Do you still need the rings with the later drums that have the hub mounted on the outside?

Roza

6. Andy

Andy

The rings I sell nest down in the recess in the wheel. They can't move around. They need a little glue or a spot weld to hold them while installing the wheel.
    The rings are needed on any drums other than the 28-35 Ford drums.
    I have thought of making the reverse of these rings so you can run steelies on the early drums. That would be a bigger ring to support the outside of the steel wheels.

7. Retrorod

Retrorod

We put the rings on the front of our roadster with the '40 brakes and also on the rear over the stock 8" Ford rears, at 10,000 miles we are still good.

8. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

AHHHH, just in time!!! Thanks for the info. Andy... you'll be hearin from me pretty soon.
    Dave

9. 48bill

48bill

BTT
    If anyone knows I would also appreciate the info to find the article in Street Rodde.

Thanks again,

10. Paul2748

Paul2748

Street Rodder, April 2002. I got the mag. If you want a copy of thearticle let me know and I need your address to mail it to you.

11. 48bill

48bill

Thanks for all the help. This forum is excellent for getting the info that helps.

12. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

How did you put early Ford wire wheels on a Ford 8-inch, there’s about an inch of bolt-pattern mismatch, isn’t there? (5 on 4.5" vs 5 on 5.5")

-Dave

13. Andy

Andy

Wheel adapters. The wires won't fit over the larger 9" rear drums. They do on the 8". The 9" rears require a real thick adapter. The 8" just a normal 1" will work.