Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods >>1935 Ford Coupe: An Idiots Guide To Buiding A Hot Rod PART THREE!!!<<<

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffreyJames, May 30, 2011.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know! And who ever would have thunk I'm blind as well? :eek:

2. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

JJ, that coupe is badass, totally inspirational.

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

This coming from the guy that has the Pierson '36!!!! Let me know if you want to trade hahahahaha!!! Thanks Bubba!

4. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

looking great...like the hidden patch where the 39 tailights were.
    mine had been changed from the 36 to 39 in about 1960, then Dad changed the 39's to a single 36, then we added dual 36's, then I decided that I wanted 39's again.
    My fenders are saying WTF!!
    keep it up, i can't believe how nice your floors are from underneath, you should see mine.

5. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Sweet! I've been waiting for you to post some updates on your ride. I love the early Chevy and '39 3-speed set up.. Been thinking about doing that in my ride as well. So your threads are resourceful to me as well. Your 4x2 set-up "Idiot's Guide" is awesome too.

Keep up the good work!

Subscribing.

iPhone - TJJ App

6. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Oh. And what iPhone app are you using to edit those pictures? I love the border and vintage effects. I have Instagram but that doesn't have borders available like yours..

iPhone - TJJ App

7. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

DAMN,,,,looks so bad ass and CORRECT!
    i love it and i love 35's...

if i didnt know these were recent pics i would thought they were takin in the 50's

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

The floors took quite a bit of scrubbing to get that way but yeah for a PA car I can't believe there's no rust on the car!! I thought about switching over to '39's as well but I like the factory fuel filler in it's place.

What no harassing comment about how I don't know what I am doing? :D:D Thanks man, I know you have a lot of passion for this shit so when you say you like it, it must mean I'm on the right track. Oh and those magic pics are all iPhone.....yeah the easy way out!

9. whoa, nice progress man!

10. Shawn M

Shawn M

The car is turning out awesome! I can't wait to see you hang your plaque on that one.

You, my man, have incredible style

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Whoa thanks Shawn and Comet!!!

Shawn, that means a lot man. I can't wait to drive it, it's tearing me up! This is my first car I built so it's adding to the excitement. Every other Hot Rod or what not that I have had has been built by someone else with me tweaking them a bit but they all really had one major flaw that I would have don't different which is why this one is so important. This one is exactly how I want it and I'm just so damn pumped to get it and go.

I am hoping to bring some questions and ideas to Vic this weekend at Breakfast and see if he can't help me square away what I need to wire this car. I'm going to bring a wiring diagram and have him count out how man cloth wires, terminals etc I'll need so when I start the process I can finish it in a weekend. Now if I could just get that dash finished and the gauges in I could start on that.

12. Bodger45

Bodger45

13. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

You're so awesome! Can I ride with you to Heavy Rebel if my engine is out? I think I'm in love. I'll let you decide whether its you or The Wizard...

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Del an I just talked and we decided that you can't bring your truck in the shop until July 3rd. :D:D:D Thanks Boo, I am sure it's the Wizard!

15. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Some great progress! Looking really bitchin.

Are you going to run a hood? If so, you may regret painting the sides of the cowl black.

That first year is tough with a healthy kid, so good for you for finding some time for yourself to keep your sanity! ;) My boy is 2 1/5 now. Last week we had a ten minute conversation in the garage on why my coupe only has 1 foglight. Hahaha! :D

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yeah I am planning on running the hood for sure. And now that you said that I definitely might have an issue but the car's paint isn't perfect so there is going to be issues everywhere. But yeah the last time the hood was onw the fitment sucked so I could have some issues. I just could not fin the perfect shade of rat rod red anywhere:D.

I owe a lot to my mother in law who comes over every Saturday morning to watch Memphis so I can go out and tinker in the garage. She's awesome. I'm looking forward to having a 10 minute conversation about a single fog lights because I often find myself having similar conversations with my friends and wife and it'll be nice to talk to someone that knows as little about cars as I do haha!!!

17. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

Great car, man.

So you named your son Memphis James? You better get him a guitar cause with that name he'll have to sing some blues!

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Oh I did! The day after he was born I went out and got him a Fender Tele (Mexican) which you can see in the back of this photo.....
    [​IMG]

And then in these so I'm all over it!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BettyBlue likes this.
  19. Drums are awesome......Side note.....drummers also make great tig welders.

20. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Really? Because I'm not even a good Mig welder so I'd be surprised if Tig welding came naturally.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  21. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

it's all in the wrist?

22. It's the hand to foot coordination where it pays off. I actually have a really hard time with a mig myself as I prefer analog inputs (human) vs. digital (machine). I have a really hard time with just setting the voltage and speed then pulling the trigger. I find that using gas or a tig you get to control the speed and the heat/voltage yourself which seems to make prettier and stronger welds.....for me at least. Drumming taught me to be able to control my foot separately from my hands. Which really helped with using a tig.

This is all just my experience and opinion so take it with a grain of salt, as it is pretty obvious by my coupe build I don't know what in the hell I'm doing.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  23. Lookin' great there Jeffrey!! Man, hittin' it when ya can adds up, don't it. You'll be ridin' 'fore ya know it and your face is gonna be hurtin' from the mile wide grin! You're keepin' the focus man, it's all balancin' out. The longer a project goes, harder it is to stay on the straight and narrow! Stay on it man, can't wait to see it in person!

Oh yeah....you might as well let me take those Firestone letters off your hands and let ya recoup your money on those babies! Pisser to be stuck with those atrocities hangin' 'round a shop, clutterin' things up:D:D:D.

24. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I had planned on giving my boy my gold metalflake Epiphone, but last year after seeing my band play, he is ALL about the drums. And the Stray Cats. He can name all 3 guys. It's pretty funny. I was showing him pics on our band webpage, and when he saw the pic of us when we opened up for Lee Rocker, he stood up and yelled "Lee Rocker! Daddy why are you with Lee Rocker?" Hahaha! :D

25. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That's awesome!!! All the better if he plays drums so now you have someone to jam with....until you become uncool and wants nothing to do with your guitar playing. :D My son is mesmerized when I start beating the table and tapping my feet to a beat. He stops what he's doing immediately and starts looking at the different elements that I am doing. It's pretty cute. We also have a 100 year Lest baby grand in the living room that he like beating on more then anything....so yeah like you music is a pretty big part of out lives!

I'm hoping to paint my '32 5w that same color as his guitar eventually and give that to him when he's older....and more responsible. Maybe when he's 25 or when he gets married.

26. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

JJ I had no idea you played. My first guitar was a mexican strat and I still have it. I am sure he will appreciate having a guitar from his birth year, I plan on doing the same thing whenever I get around to having kids. We will have to talk guitars/drums next time.

27. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

For Sure Flatfoot!!! You know who also plays and can play circles around me in just about any instrument? Jeremy!!! That dude gets on my piano and tears it up!!!

28. I also hear your master of the skin flute

29. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

30. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Acutally I'm classically trained on the Skin Tuba but have been know to fiddle around with Skin Flute. You're fucked up.