Register now to get rid of these ads!

1935 Ford 5W coupe tack strip for roof insert? Where?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xadamx, Jun 22, 2010.

1. xadamx

xadamx

OK, so I have everything I need to do the roof insert in my '35 Ford...wood, padding, cobra-grain top material. But there is no tack strip present around the perimeter of the opening. Is there some place that sells a stock-style tack strip, or something comparable that is manageable enough to go around the fairly tight corners of the opening? Any suggestions would be appreciated...thanks.

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I for one, ordered the kit from Sactown Vintage Ford and when it came I put it right back in the box because it scared me. I was not expecting all those pieces and I'm not exactly sure what all was there but it was way over my head!

3. rdstr31

rdstr31
    from Ney, OH

There shoud be wood around the perimeter of the opening, on the interior side the roof. You should see the wood through the series of slots in the metal channel around the roof opening. Tack or staple the material to the wood. I think a t-shaped rubber gasket snaps down into the channel to finish it off and weatherproof the roof.

4. Tack it in to the top wood. Then you have a rubber seal to install. The 36 I did. it took two weeks to get the seal in place. I was able to do only a few inches a day. The hands were giving me fits.

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used the Hagan kit. I think it used an aluminum track that pop riveted to the sheetmetal. Pulling it tight as you go. Then there's a finish piece that attaches to the track. No idea how the stock one worked, as mine was already gutted when I got it.

6. xadamx

xadamx

There's nothing around the roof opening. No wood at all, no tack strip...nothing. Just body sheet metal. The wood kit I got has the 3 cross bows and the little rectangular piece that joins the middle and back pieces.

7. xadamx

xadamx

I looked in to the Juliano's kit, but I'll try to find info on the Hagan one...can't seem to find anything on them anywhere. Thanks...

8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You know what? My mistake!! I think it is a Juliano's kit! Sorry about that!!! :eek:

It's not bad. Best to install it with a helper and on a warm day in the sun. My only complaint is that the trim piece that covers the aluminum channel kind of sucks. It's a plastic material and if you don't get it just right, you'll have a gap after awile. Might be an installation error on my part though. I'm sure there's a solution.

I think there's a video or instruction page on their website on how to install it.

9. I think ya may have some wood missing. Some old articles in R&C also street rodder. I don't remember the dates ..............

10. 4ever18

4ever18

Here's 4 photos of one of these sections which was cut from a car when the opening was being filled. I'm probably going to sell this piece because it's not quite right for my non-'35/6 Ford coupe. Perhaps these photos will help answer the questions regarding how the pieces look when assembled.

Attached Files:

reagen likes this.
  11. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

There is no tack strip similar to 32's or 33/4's. The top material is held in place by a thick rubber strip that pinches the top material into the groove and traps the material. If you have the material necessary to do the job follow the instructions from a Juliano top kit and the installation procedure is similar with the exception you do not have to drill any rivets. The roof seal kits are sold in two lengths one for coupe and one for sedans.

12. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

if there is no tack strip then what is the tacs in the Pic?

13. doctor chip

doctor chip
    from Delevan NY

FINALLY!!!! An informed answer!!! I wish I'd found this thread before I drilled all the holes. Apparently Julianos is unaware of this little detail. Thank you!

14. We are aware of it but it has a problem that you will discover when it rains.. You will find that the design of that rubber gasket does not keep the water out and will be a problem. We have been doing this for 40 years and still have the best HOTROD soft top kit.

15. Weasel

Weasel

^^^^^ it never rains in Southern California....;)

16. doctor chip

doctor chip
    from Delevan NY

I got the rubber roof strip and used it to hold the canvas down.Worked good and I didnt want to fart around cutting wood strips to put in the groove. The metal track has been drilled beyond that groove so it shouldnt leak

17. doctor chip

doctor chip
    from Delevan NY

First time out to a show today and guess what - it rains! And guess what - my roof leaks!

18. choptvan

choptvan

Do you have any pix of your installation?? How it turned out? anything?? Trying to do one now and in the same problem as you!

19. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

I welded a top in mine am still going to cover it with harts cloth and seal to look like a soft top

20. choptvan

choptvan

body and paint are done so that isn't an option for this one

21. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

It sure is where you will be welding will be covered not even close to paint on the top.just have to watch spltter :)

22. choptvan

choptvan

nah. Want it to be like he way henry had it done.

23. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

I am Like you I like the soft top too,only most of em bulge up when going down the road and look like crap friend blew his top out of his 32 at the dragstrip guess henry didnt expect the 32 doing 115 mph in the 1/4 Good luck Early ford sells a kit also

24. 32Gnu

32Gnu

25. Uptown83

Uptown83

I just started building my 35 and i was confused on the top when i saw it. So a big piece of rubber smashes down in the groove and holds the top canvas down? I guess the little tack strip to the inside holds the cloth?

Now my great uncle added his own top to the car is why you see the screws/holes around it. That is not original.

Attached Files:

26. What I did on my 36 sedan,is I got a roof section from a 70's VW van and welded it right inside the opening in the roof. I kept the wooden bows inside to hang the headliner off of. Then I glued thin vinyl top foam ( the dense blue colored kind ) to the welded panel, feathering the edges all the way around for a smooth contour, and then glued the factory style vinyl material to the foam. Once it had dried, I trimed the vinyl and pushed it into the channel and installed the rubber molding. This can be done on an already painted car because you are welding to the inner part of thr roof channel. The car has been on the road for about 10 years now and the only issue is that I have a leak somewhere up there but the insert is hanging tough. I really didnt want an open hole in the roof for the kids to fly out of and I didnt want to fill the roof cause I like the soft top look. Good luck , Mitch

27. choptvan

choptvan

Thanks fellas. That ought to help me out a bit. Pictures are a thousand words.

28. davano

davano
    from Oregon

I see you posted this several years ago, but I was wondering if you still have this roof channel section?
    Thank you,
    David