Register now to get rid of these ads!

1935 flathead v8 ignition

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Michael_e, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Michael_e

Michael_e

Got a 35 flathead v8 and am tearing it down to see it's condition. Looks like at least one cyl will need a sleeve. Was wondering if it was worthwhile to rebuild the stock distributor/ignition? Or, are there other/better systems that will bolt in where the stock one was. I'm just building a slightly warmed up flatty, no real street racer. I just really like the sound of a nice flathead going thru the gears.

2. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

That would be a V8 60..
    Duane..

3. Get a hold of GMC Bubba on here for the best igntion service for that flatty

4. Michael_e

Michael_e

Woops, my bad there, it's not the V8-60, It came out of a 1 & 1/2 ton farm truck. It's the 221ci with iron heads, 21 stud heads. I also sent GMC Bubba a message. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010

5. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I'd probably consider updating it to a later crab type,they are easier to work on, and not bad distributers

6. Michael_e

Michael_e

Thanks Shaggy. What year flatheads had these "crab" type of distributors? Anyone happen to have a pic of one or know of a good web site that shows one?

Mike

7. I second that Motion...He built one for my Flatty, Best it ever ran...:)

8. FatFndr

FatFndr

If you decide to use it you could also send it to Skip Haney in Punta Gorda FLA. He will set up your distributor/coil and guarantee it for about 12 years. http://www.fordcollector.com/ Good work, reliable, reasonable prices.

9. 36tbird

36tbird

You gotta a lot more to worry about than the ignition at this stage. If it needs a rebuild and it is a '35, then it is a babbit engine and you may have a hard time finding someone to do that kinda work. Nothing wrong with it, just getting the mains bearings done might be expensive.

10. Price a set of rod brgs also......In case you dont what 36tbird is sayiny.that engine has poured main brgs...
    Not a good choice for a starter engine..too many later years available

11. Michael_e

Michael_e

Yea, i'm starting to see some issues with the block already. For sure it's gonna need at least 2 of the cylinders sleeved. And it doesn't appear to have any filtration system of sorts. I found a ton of sludge, like warm cake frosting in the oil pan. Was so thick, had to scoop it out, would hardly flow on it's own. Only good part was i got it for almost nothing. Are the rod bearings the full floating bearings?

Mike

12. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I would agree that I wouldn't put much money in that style of flathead. Hopefully you paid scrap price so you wouldn't be out much. I can't think of any parts that have much value other than the carburator.

Neal

13. If it needs 2 sleeves.I would consider it scrap iron...
    2 bad cyl + poured mains,21 studs= junk

14. Michael_e

Michael_e

Yea, this is not looking too promissing. Hopefully, i can get all the rod/pistons out and save the rods and the crankshaft. Maybe some restorer could use them, or would make one hell-of a boat anchor. Is the oil pan usable on some of the other flathead engines? And, when did Ford quit putting the 21 stud motor in it's cars and trucks? One more question, did the 21 stud motor ever have insert main bearings?

Mike

15. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Ford in 1938 mid-year went to the 24 stud. My understanding is that they used up all the blocks from 1937 that were cast before changing to the 24 stud engine.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010