Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1935-42 Front Spring Spreader Needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VCS, Jul 14, 2016.

1. VCS

VCS

Looking to buy, borrow or rent a front spring spreader that fits a 35 to 42 ford front spring.

I am located in the San Fernando Valley, Socal area.

Please PM or email [email protected]

Thanks

2. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Years ago when I was driving those years of cars I made a spring spreader. I used a piece of black pipe, a piece of redi rod. I angled the pipe and welded on flat plate and did the same on the redi rod. I then welded a nut to the other end of the pipe to thread the redi rod into, and had a cheap spring spreader.

3. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

I "made" my own using some beefy angle iron and a collection of C-Clamps...
    [​IMG]

Pictured is a rear spring, but it works the same either way. The commercially available spreaders won't work with reversed eyes anyway, that's how I came about this method, explained to my by an old timer.

4. If your doing it in the Car, use the weight of the car and a block of wood. If it's on the floor in the Shop take the spring apart, mount the main leaf then use all thread in the center bolt hole to pull it all back together. Then clamp the spring and re install the center bolt. Either way you'll be done before you can go get the spreader bar someone might loan you.
    The Wizzard

clem likes this.

5. Andy

Andy

Yep twice.
    I jack up the car, put it on stands and use two jacks to load the spring enough to get the last shackle in. You can start with one shackle in place.
    Works on both front and rear.

6. You all aint nuthin but a bunch of backyard mechanics. :D :D

I think we all do it the same way.;) easy squeezy

7. VCS

VCS

Thank you all for the ideas, I like the angle iron and c clamp idea. Lil worried about the horror stories I have heard about folks and springs getting loose

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Will one from the front or rear spring on a Model A work? What is the length between the eyes on your spring?

Charlie Stephens