Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1935-1940 Ford frame predicament

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by mikec4193, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Hi Everyone

I am in the process of trying to acquire a 1940 Ford Coupe, it is an old stock car from the late 1950's to early 1960's. Body is really rough but save-able. The frame rails under the doors is virtually gone....cross members look ok from what I can tell. I would like to keep the stock style frame but in upstate NY this stuff if available is pretty rough to begin with.

Does anybody sell the mid section of the outside frame rails??? I see that Speedway sells the outside rails for around $1650.00 but then there is shipping costs on top of that price...

I would not be against if anybody in upstate NY area has a workable frame they might want to sell me I would be open to that too...

Any insight would be a wonderful thing.

MikeC

2. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Isn't speedway free ship over $100 ? ... still Too much $ for me...
    maybe use some poster board and plot the profile shape of your damaged frame rail... hight and length...
    try your template on '41 or '42 to '48 car frame rails as they could be patches for your frame...
    I am going to splice a '30 tonner frame section in front of '41 side rails to slide under a '30 coupester, memory says the '41's side rails are similar to the '35 to '40s... they both curl up toward the front a bit...
    the out rigger body bolt mounts will be different...
    hope it helps...
    . DSCN0784.JPG
    DSCN0786.JPG

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  3. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

20160822_184129.jpg
    I just made a template off the better rail and used a plasma to cut it out and put it on the passenger side.

LOU WELLS, mikec4193 and olscrounger like this.
  4. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. It looks like 1/8" flat stock you used to do those repairs....how wide did you end up using?

Pewsplace likes this.
  6. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Not sure how bad it is but I have saved several by having my local sheet metal shop make me some u-channels to replace the rusted areas. Normally run about $50 for both sides under the doors. We can buy good frames in LA for $500-600 bucks if you shop around. Here are some photos of my 40 sedan delivery frame repair.
    IMG_3574.jpg

IMG_3995.jpg IMG_3613.jpg

LOU WELLS likes this.
  7. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Keep posting pictures of your progress. Can't get enough of 40's being built !

8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  9. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just about any chassis can be repaired / patched up. Sometimes a replacement is the way to go, depending on tools, money, time. I'm pretty frugal, (I sometimes can squeeze a nickel 'till the Indian rides the buffalo). Just thinking, it's easy to get carried away with a repair when trying to save a buck. There's a point when being penny wise, and dollar foolish comes into play. Save the area as large as possible where the vin number is, as that could be a "good save".