Register now to get rid of these ads!

1935-1936 Ford pickup tech for the masses

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jan 18, 2008.

1. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

really good info, will be really useful when ever i find one,
    Thanks guys

2. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Fun and informative thread! I like stuff like this!

3. manyolcars

manyolcars

Root, you knew you would hear from me....I have been out of town for a week...

The 1937 tailgate mounts Very different from the 35 and 36.
    The 37 uses tailgate hinges that continued in use til 1973.

early 35 removeable door window garnish are kinda rare. I have many ol 35/36/37 trucks and have only seen a couple of early 35 doors with removeable garnish.

NONE of my 36s have the notch for the bumper brackets....are you sure about that info?
    I do realize that its been 70 years and things could have been changed, but still....

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

While the 35 to 40 car and 41 pickup frames are interchangeable, they are NOT the same.
    There are small differences.
    A big difference is the thickness of the metal.
    Passenger cars used 11 gauge and trucks had the thicker 10 gauge frames.

Again, you CAN use a passenger car frame for a pickup, just remove the car body mounts.

5. Thanks for sharing this info with a Limey Rodder, its been interesting reading. The 35 Ford Pk Up has alway`s been my favourate 1/2 ton truck. This sure is a great site....Cheer`s Bri....:rolleyes:

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

Manyolcars. Thanks for the info on the tailgates. I am positive about the front fenders. I also confirmed it with Lawson Cox. He said it was changed on truck# 1, 1936.

7. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

Wow, great post. Very informative!

8. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

thanks for starting this thread roothawg! i recently purchased a '35 and i've learned a bunch of stuff i didn't know. i also subscribed to this thread to stay updated on any new info.

9. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

Very good thread, thanks all. I have a very original unrestored early '36 if there's something you would like me to look at or post a photo of.

[​IMG]

Gruntis likes this.
  10. Burny

Burny

Anyone have any pointers on cutting the V windshield on a '37 to match up with a 3.5" chop? I've got it cut down and leaned back, but because the A pillars were pie cut and leaned it has gaps at the outside corners...i'll post some picts later, but figured maybe someone would have a few tips.

11. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Outside upper or lower corners?

Mine's chopped about the same and the A pillars were leaned back too. I didn't do the work though. Mine still needs finish work but the WS frame fits nice in the opening (pretty darn even all around). Especially after a new seal. I might be in for a surprise but I reckon I'll find out when that time comes, for now, the chassis......

I can see where it was welded, maybe that'll answer some questions.

12. me too!!!

13. Roothawg

Roothawg

wow, that is cool.

Just for you new guys. Pimpin the social group again.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=26

14. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

You're absolutely right - that said, someone has mounted a '37 tailgate on my '35/36 bed. They pushed in the rear crossmember where the hinge mounts were, trimmed a couple of them (why they didn't just take 'em off is beyond me) and bolted the hinges to the rear stake pockets with about a 3/16" spacer (two thick washers).

The '37 tailgate is in reasonably good shape and I like the V8 on it, so after I replace the rear crossmember and at least one (maybe both) rear stake pockets, I'll see how it all lines up w/o the pushed in crossmember and butchered orginal hinge plates...

15. Dirk35

Dirk35

I know we have talked about this before, and I wish I could really help better. The Deluxe Model was available at the end of 35 and on a 35 Truck. My Truck is titled as a 35, it came with the front bumer with the dip in it, and the swan neck shifter too. I can guarantee my grandpa didnt change the parts out either as he used the truck to haul pigs to the market and run his egg route in western Oklahoma.

Wish I had better info on it to document it than just my grandpas and uncles word of mouth.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  16. 2 of a kind

Attached Files:

17. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

i was just wondering if these are the correct headlight buckets for a '35 ford. because i have seen a few different types on some original '35s
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and i was thinking of trying to use the sealed beam units that came with it but one has a few tabs busted off the back.
    [​IMG]
    Could this be easily fixed with soldering on new tabs?

and heres a pic of where she sits till i bring her in to start working on her in a few months
    [​IMG]

18. mow too much

mow too much

Thirdgen, the 35-37 headlight is'nt domed that deep they have a flater dish. what I plan on running on mihe are 34 pickup headlights there larger diameter than the 35-37.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  19. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I'd like to run '36 passenger car lites on mine - love that bug-eyed look of the '36 lights!

20. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

HEY!! I'M DOING that! ahhahahahaa
    I like that look too.

21. mow too much

mow too much

The 35-36 inner fenders are the same, but the 37s are different where they bolt to the grille, I haven't tried to bolt the 37s to a 35-36 grille, they may work? maybe some can comment on this.

22. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Do a search on this.....Bill Drake (RIP)* answered my questions brilliantly, he covered most, if not all possible variants and interchangeability of the front tin.

*wish he was still with us!!

23. 35 Dodge Hot Rod

35 Dodge Hot Rod
    from Mecca

This book has everything you'll ever need to know about 1935-1937 Ford pickups.

The information is accurate, and there are hundreds of pictures. All the way from 1905 - 1978.

[​IMG]

Ford Trucks Since 1905
    James K. Wagner

Gruntis and snowroutes like this.
  24. rustymetal

rustymetal

hi 35 dodge wondering where is the best place to buy that book?

25. manyolcars

manyolcars

The 36 passenger headlites are the same as 38 and 39 pickups.

26. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Great thread, lots of inspiration to get going on my 36 project. Any opinions on where to get the better rear fenders? Fiberglass is ok as steel seems to be non-existant.
    Has anyone done the Ford Ranger chassis swap with a steel body,and if so, any problems or suggestions? I want to keep my Ford all Ford.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  27. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Yeah, but the lenses and bezels are unique to the passenger car...

28. Roothawg

Roothawg

We have that book. It's pretty good. They average about 100 bux though....

29. 35 Dodge Hot Rod

35 Dodge Hot Rod
    from Mecca

I bought that book almost 10 years ago when it was still in print.

Your best bet now would be to check out the local used bookstores, and as a last resort Amazon.

30. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

could anyone tell me what they think the headlights pictured come off of? i'm looking to try and locate headlight rings for these but dont know the year make model. thanks