Register now to get rid of these ads!

1935-1936 Ford pickup tech for the masses

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

Let me see if I can scrounge one up. Remind me if I don't do it. My brain only holds so much junk and then it gets pushed out.

2. Ngnear

Ngnear

Can you describe how the door dovetail (female) attaches to the jamb? My passenger side has a bracket with the two springs and moveable metal pieces but my driver side is missing the bracket, springs, and metal pieces but there is an opening in the jamb. I can’t see any screw holes on either side. Any help on this would be appreciated.

3. What dimensions do you want? My pickup is a 1936. All my original wood is still in place and visible from the bottom. Basically, it's 3/4" planks of various widths bolted to the steel cross-members that connect to the frame. The original wood looks like strong packing crate wood and there are gaps between the planks, probably for frame flex. Over that is the metal bed box riveted together as a single bed unit. It's pretty simple and rudimentary.

In 1967 I fitted a piece of 1/2 or 5/8" exterior plywood over the floor of the bed, from the top down, to even out the dents and distortion of my original bed assembly. That made things flat and smooth, then I covered that with more decorative wood for appearance. All the original bed assembly is still under the original bed box. My current plan is to remove the 1967 plywood and replace with some beautiful old T&G solid mahogany flooring material I found in the garage rafters of an estate sale.

If you want to narrow down your question a little, I'll go under my truck and take some photos, measurements, etc. for you. I do not plan to remove the bed to the frame. No need to go that far for me. I did that in the 60's and it's still in good shape.

What is at the bottom of the sides of your bed now? Is the original structure still in place on the frame?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  4. Roothawg

Roothawg

There's also the 2 blocks in the rear.

5. IdahoSpud

IdahoSpud

I believe the 2 rear blocks are what I am looking for. Is there any other bed-to-frame or cab-to-frame wood? I will attach a picture of the pieces I am looking for measurements on.

Attached Files:

6. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

7. Ngnear

Ngnear

A = 6 1/4
    B= 2 3/8
    C= 1 1/2
    D= 1/8
    E= 4
    F= 5 7/8
    G= 1 3/8
    H= 2 3/16
    I= at least 1/2 based on my biggest drill bit, maybe 5/16, thru hole diameter.
    J= 3/4? It is difficult to measure but appears to be centered on H and on C.
    Most measurements using a metal ruler.
    Hope this is useful.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Roothawg likes this.
  8. redzula

redzula

So finally got my truck back from the family farm a couple weeks ago.
    IMG_20200524_165025.jpeg

Looking it over there is this hole in the cowl.
    IMG_20200611_131608.jpeg
    And after looking at other people trucks I've see a very similar hole in a handful of truck as well.
    Anyone know what it would have been for? It looks like someone drilled a series of pilot holes close together and then knocked out the center.

Sent from my rotary phone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Gruntis and nunattax like this.
  9. nunattax

nunattax

anything to do with fitting a heater?

10. Roothawg

Roothawg

Looks pretty good!

11. finn

finn

Aftermarket heater.

nunattax likes this.
  12. redzula

redzula

That's kind of what I was thinking. But when I saw the similar holes in other people's trucks I wasn't sure

Sent from my rotary phone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Boryca

Boryca
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

Heater for sure. Good looking truck!

nunattax likes this.