Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1934 Tudor found on NH craigslist

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 37 Millrat, Jan 27, 2014.

1. My search for 34 parts has gone slightly off course.
    I was able to locate and buy a frame. I was able to locate and buy 2 nearly rust free rear inner fenders and back panel.

I also found this 32 chassis with a rebuilt 53 flatty, reworked trans, rebuilt rear. The rails have been patched up and it has mechanical brakes. It cost me a really cool motorcyle but I am more of a 4 wheel guy anyway. I will build it into a hotrod but I like 34's better.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff and volvobrynk like this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah, it appears that you are now a member of the "more than one project at one time" Hamb club.

From looking at the photos of the 34 body it looks like you got more for your money than I got when I bought my Model A Victoria body. Keep us posted on the progress.

3. Parts came in on Greyhound from the Northwest (thanks Dave). They look good as described. 1 step closer.

Attached Files:

4. I think you need to go back to this location! The axles on the top of the pile with the wishbones standing straight up in the air, those ain't no model A axles. Those wishbones are much too long for model A. Some better pictures and dimensions are in order, they look like 32-34 front axle assemblies.

5. olskool34

olskool34

I agree, after looking at the pics again, there appears to be some non-A wishbones (longer) in that pile still attached to axles. I would be back there asap to really look and see what is there. 32-34 front ends, spindles, wishbones, spring perches, etc. are worth some cash.

6. I will hit it again after the snow melts a bit, keep you updated. Good eye!!!

7. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

Good luck on your project, remember all good things take time.

8. More pictures on the parts hunt. Yes that is a 34 fordor back in the wood.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

any pics of the 34 in the woods???

10. No, I wish I snapped a few while I was standing next to it. I will be going back when the snow melts. It was typically crusty New England stuff. I was pumped up and forgot to snap a picture until I walked away, the guy had stuff everywhere and I was kinda "junk drunk". It was not for sale, but cool to see. He had drug it out of somebody elses woods and put it in his for use on one of his many 34's and certainly not going to waste.

11. Went back and looked at the axles all Model A as I had first stated. No 32,33 or 34 guy had a bent 32 beam in his shop for 350.00 no 1937 plus axles either.

12. olskool34

olskool34

Shoot, oh well. Guess my eyes are not as good as they used to be.

13. sadsack

sadsack

you always have to keep your eyes open.

sadsack

14. slammed

slammed

sadsack, what part of Iowa are you from? Do an introduction as a customary thing for the HAMB.

15. This week the car adventure took us just West of Concord New Hampshire. We went to look a a couple Model A's for use on the 32 chassis I got. I know this thread is about my 34. I am still hunting parts for that. I attached some pictures of the really cool 32 tudor this guy had for sale. I looked at the Model A's and am still considering the 31 deluxe roadster.
    The deal on the 32 is 50,000 mile car all original he wants 32K for it. Too rich for my blood but an awesome car. Check out the 1952 inspection sticker car runs and drives.Really nice guy with a bunch of great cars.

16. picts wont post I will try again later

17. picts

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Find any more parts for that beaut? It's been over a year. I need inspiration darn it.

19. Sorry for the BIG delay in responding!!! I have not posted to this in a while. I have been steadily collecting parts and hope to have this thing rolling by the end of summer. My latest find was an original henry grille and hood, the coolest part of a 34. Since I last posted I have been able to collect what I consider to be goodies.
    Running 1950 flathead
    rebuilt 46 3 speed with 10" clutch and stamped tin bell
    Model A rear cross member and spring
    garnish moulding
    rear spreader bar
    set of 46 16 inch wheels and hub caps
    and a bunch of misc. stuff to tie the body to the frame.
    The stuff is out there, just can't be in a rush to get it.
    Here is the grille I got, bad chrome but its straight and solid. Not so good for a street rod but this hot rod won't see shiney paint while I own it. A question for those who have done it; Will a 4 bar setup work on the front of a 34 frame. I see hairpins used on a lot of 34's, is that just a looks cool thing?
    Thx
    unnamed.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  20. gordspeed

gordspeed
    from Oregon

Glad to see your still at it! :)

21. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Get yourself a set of split bones. That's what I did and it worked out great.
    [​IMG]

patmanta likes this.
  23. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Just a vega box with cross steer.

24. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

I like the pics in the Woods & the 32 thats all me -- good luck with the car :p :cool::cool:

25. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Welcome back!

I'd favor split bones or hairpins over 4 bar on this car. I think 4 bar looks a little wonky on an open wheel car in general, but that's just my opinion.

28-31 Model A bones will be closer to the length of your 4-bar setup.

What steering setup are you planning on? The 38 cross-steer box you've got would be a good one.

I found an article that has all the bone lengths conveniently listed on Hot Rod:
    http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/additional-how-to/0810rc-old-ford-wishbones/

"...The Model A 'bones are short at 39 inches from the center of the ball to the center of the perch hole; '32 'bones are 47 1/21/2 inches; the '33-34 is 45 1/21/2 inches; the '37-41 is 44 1/2 inches; and the '42-48 measures 50 1/2 inches. Bear in mind that those '35-and-later have the spring in front of the axle, the extension for which will need removing if you intend to mount the spring above the axle in your application, and the '42-48 'bones have a step in them just behind the spring perch. Ideally, the pitman arm for the steering should be mounted directly above the rear mount of the split wishbone if you're contemplating a drag link style to eliminate bumpsteer as much as possible, which is why choosing a wishbone as close to the required length as possible is advisable. However, with the limited suspension travel on most hot rods, this isn't as major a concern as might be imagined. Heck, even stock Model As had a drag link roughly half the length of the wishbone..."​

26. Looks like you are still at it...and that is a very good sign that you will complete this build. Very nice grill you scored on. Very hard to find a good original for fair $$$.
    Keep it going.

27. Thanks for the post, I tend to agree the bone look the best. I am pretty sure in the 70's four bars or hair pins were looked the best. I like the clean look of bone versus the four bar. I did not know that about the radius joint and the pitman arm. I was planning on cross steer. I have a panard bar for the front. not sure on the box yet. maybe that 38 I have??

28. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I'm pretty sure you don't need the panhard bar on a 34 front end or any early Ford front end setup with tension preloaded into it. But if you've got it, I don't think it will necessarily hurt anything.

I believe that cross steering eliminates most chance for bump-steer, and you've got it, so I'd say go ahead and use it! I'm going through some decision-making on steering myself right now and I'm leaning towards using a cross-steer box I have.

29. Why?