Register now to get rid of these ads!

1934 pickup project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34ratpickup, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Just curious how small do you what to go on your radiator? I have the 4" chopped one in mine and it seems pretty small. I wouldn't want to lose 4 more inches. I'm guessing thats what you're running right now.

Here's a shot of dreddybears coupe. I'm not sure how he ran the hoses. I looked through the build thread but its 50 some pages long. I'd shoot him a PM if you have questions.

[​IMG]

2. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Thanks
    I pm'd dreddybears. Its a champion lowboy radiator. The overall height I believe is 22-23". Seems like the mustang radiator may be a little bit smaller. I will measure it all out and see. I dont really want to go lower if I dont have too but it just doesnt look right. Have to try something else.

3. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

If the radiator is in front of the crossmember the lower hose sometimes runs between the axle and the spring.

4. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Tman
    PM has been sent. I sent you a link that has all the dimensions. Looks like im gonna go with a radiator out of a 66 mustang.

5. fleetside66

fleetside66

You might be interested in these pics, where I used a "new" 64/65 Mustang radiator & a commercial grill shell for my truck. I got the radiator online for about $125 & it cools my 283 real well. One thing, though, I couldn't completely cover the radiator with the grill shell, because it would have brought the grill shell up higher then the cowl line (which I definitely did not want). However, I'm completely happy with it...the radiator (in my eyes, anyway) disappears & I'm able to open the radiator cap in it's stock position.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. dawford

dawford

What are the demensions of an early Mustang radiator?

I need something for my Model A roadster pickup thats shorter than stock and the Model A radiators are ridiculously expensive anyway.

The engine is going to be way back which will allow me to mount the radiator behind the front cross member.

I also need some suggestions on how to blackout the empty space inside the Model A radiator shell. What ever I use it has to allow sufficient air to pass to cool the radiator that will sit about 6" behind.

Sorry to jump in here but I have been following this thread to get ideas for my similar project.

Thanks,

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  7. fleetside66

fleetside66

The radiator measures approx. 20" high X 18" wide. It supposedly has additional cooling capacity over & above the units that were put into the stock 65/66 Mustangs. I got it from a company whose Ebay name was Radiator Doctor & the E-mail I have in my records is "[email protected]." Oddly enough, They had a distribution center very near my house & their invoice indicate a company called "1-800-Radiator." The radiator itself cost $124.00 & the shipping was $15. A guy drove up to my house in a small car the day after I bought the thing on Ebay & handed it to me.

8. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Awsome. I havent picked up a radiator yet but I know a guy that works at car quest that will be getting me a good deal on a new radiator. I dont care if the shell doesnt cover the radiator all the way. I just dont want the shell sticking up higher than the cowl.
    By the way nice truck! I like it.

9. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Well after thinking long and hard about what to do I made the current radiator work. I cut out a cardboard template of a 66 mustang radiator and it was only about an inch lower. Instead of going through all the trouble I just made the current one work. Made some brackets to hang it in front of the crossmember. Much better looking. Still need to figure out how to extend the support rods but that should be a piece of cake.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Now you are on it....looks really good.

11. Yup, looks good. Would have been to short for me anyway!

12. big bad john

big bad john

Cool truck.....Keep up the good work:cool:

13. fleetside66

fleetside66

Great problem solving on that radiator. I'm assuming that you're not going to go with an electric fan? If not, now would be the time to think about a proper fan shroud. Good luck & keep up the good work. It's gonna look dynamite!

14. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Yeah I have an electric fan for it. Now that the radiator is lower I think it will be the easier route to go.

15. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Looks much better now. The lower hose fits between the spring and axle, is that right?

16. Cool truck, nice fab work on the subfloor too! I love trucks...seeing all the hotrod pickup builds on the HAMB lately is giving me more inspiration for mine, and keeping the fire in my belly lit!
    Keep it up!
    -Steve

17. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Yeah the hose will go between the spring and the axle. Should be fine. I pulled out another spring and lowered the car some more.

18. Looking really good - I think we're all feeling the radiator look now! Keep up the good work!

19. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Tank is pretty much ready to go. Mounted the sending unit and machined up and welded a bung on the bottom for a pickup. Just waiting on the laser cutter to get me back my frame brackets.
    [​IMG]

20. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Got some more work done on the project. I got the parts back from the laser cutter and mounted up the shifter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Well its been a while since I have posted some progress on the project. I finished up the subfloor. Last night I pulled the cab off the frame and welded up the subfloor. I am starting to dismantle the whole chassis to do all the finish welding and plumb for brake, fuel and trans cooler lines. I am then going to haul it over to a buddys house to have him help me build the floor in it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Voh

Voh

Chase down some of the bands they use on those barrels to hold the lid on. It will have the same "V" shape as the bead lines @ 1/3 & 2/3.

[​IMG]

kind of like this one. modify it to hold it down.

23. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

I like that idea. I actually used strapping material to strap it down. Seems to work. Ill post some pics of it strapped in. But for some reason if it doesnt work I could go with your idea. I actually wrapped them on the outside of the bead lines. I then put some foam between the contact points so it isnt a metal to metal contact. I have been bad with taking pics lately.

24. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Here's my 34 with a Mopar 383 and 727. Chopped 4" and channeled 3 and I'm 6 ft 200 lbs and fit fine

Attached Files:

• 34-1.jpg
      34-1.jpg
      File size:
      533.1 KB
      Views:
  25. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

This is great watching my old cab come to life.

26. hasty

hasty

Looking good. Please keep the updates coming

27. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Yeah im not too worried about it. Its not a daily driver. If I chopped or channeled it anymore I think I would have an issue. But its just a cruiser not a daily driver so itll be fine.

28. dutched32

dutched32

good looking truck

29. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

The Lake headers showed up the other day. Matt at lakeheaders.com did an awsome job on them. Cant wait to assemble the truck so I can install these bad boys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California