Register now to get rid of these ads!

1934 pickup project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34ratpickup, Aug 3, 2010.

1. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Well I have been piecing together parts for the past few months. Picked up a frame from Deek at Boling Brothers.
    Mad props to Derek at Boling Brothers for the frame.

Here are some progress pics so far.

Front end all bolted up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I modeled up a leafspring pad and gussets and had them laser cut out.
    Looking to get the 4 link arms done and tacked in place tonight. [​IMG]

2. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Forgot to add this. Got anxious the other night and wanted to see what the cab looked like on the frame. Not really positioned in the correct spot. Cab needs to move back but the 4 link mounts werent modified yet.

[​IMG]

3. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

lookin good ...keep us posted.

4. Nice truck! What motor are you gonna run in it?

5. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

I got a 383 bb mopar auto trans and an 8.75 rearend with a posi for it. It was given to me for free so I cant really complain.

6. CH3NO2JAY

CH3NO2JAY
    from Chicago

GL with the project, I love the old trucks...

7. solid

solid

8. HotRod33

HotRod33

it's looking good............... how much is the chop and channel.....? Put a seat in it and make sure that you have enough room in it.... I had to unchannel my 33 as I could not get in it... I am 6'3" and I still don't fit real well..........

9. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Nice. That's my next project (see avatar.....a '33). But not in the 'rat' style, it'll be a traditional build. Zman will be proud. :D

10. Keep the pic's to coming!

11. Love it....My next project as well!

12. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

I bought the cab already chopped from Royalshifters. It is either a 5 or 6" chop. I have it somewhat mocked up with a 4" channel have put a seat in it and it is the perfect fit. These cabs arent really made for super tall people. I hear you on that one.

13. ScoundrelZ

ScoundrelZ

very nicely done, please keep us updated!

14. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Instead of running a keg or spun alum tank like most people run I opted to make my own fuel tank. I welded up a filler neck the other night. I also ordered up a universal sending unit. Need to decide how to strap it. Need to hit up the local army surplus store to see what they have.
    [​IMG]

15. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

Looks like a cool project. I look forward to seeing what you do with it. I have one just like.

16. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Well I have been making some good progress. Got the rear suspension all set in place. Had to chuck up the arms in the lathe and turn them down. Need all the room I can get and I dont want the suspension going through the cab.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have started stabbing the motor into this baby. Now I know why alot of guys just go with a smallblock. But thats too easy.
    [​IMG]

After a couple times of trying and trimming the firewall out I got it to fit with plenty of clearance around the bellhousing.
    [​IMG]

Last night I mocked up the upper motor mounts. Sent the drawings over to the laser cutter so I should have something back in the next few days.

[​IMG]

17. bigken

bigken

:DKeep up the good work. Trucks rule..........

18. farmer12

farmer12

Nice progress, looking good!

19. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Looking good keep up the good work. You can fit in these trucks chopped and channelled. Just take extra time when figuring out steering and pedal placement. I'm 6' and mines chopped 6" and channeled 4" plus a full roll cage and I fit fine. Don't get me wrong there is no extra space but I fit.

The bb mopar is cool and can be period correct too. You don't see a ton of them either.

20. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Yeah im 6' tall and im sure it will be a tight squeeze but ill make it work.

21. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Been making some progress. Waiting for the laser cutter to finish up the trans and motor mounts. So I started working on the subfloor. Took out the stock subfloor and am fabricating a new one. I drilled and tapped the frame, I cut some rubber to eliminate a metal to metal contact.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

23. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Well I havent posted anything in a while but im still working on the project. Motor and trans mounts are all done. Built a K member and I got the steering box and column all mounted up. It was kind of a pain to get the clearances around the starter and motor mount but I got it to work. Im bad with taking pics so ill try and get some more up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then started mounting up the radiator and found out it wasnt the look I wanted. Looks like I need to ditch this radiator and get something a little lower. Grill shell has been chopped 2" but looks like I may go more once I find the right radiator. Not feeling the look at all.
    [​IMG]

24. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

The steering looks good. I had to do the same thing with mine with the extra u-joint. I think most guys with the swept front rails have to drop the grille shell in front of the crossmember to line up with the cowl. Look at evel and dreddybears coupes.

25. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

I bought a champion "lowboy" radiator. Its supposed to be lower than all the others. I modified the end tank to drop down into the crossmember more but that still wastn enough. I chopped the grillshell and could maybe go a little more but I dont think it will be enough. I think I need the grillshell to drop about 4" from where its at.

26. Have you thought about mounting the radiator in front of the cross member?
    This way you wouldn't have to chop anything and would get a lower look at the same time.
    Just an idea...

Your truck is looking great so far!

27. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

I have thought about making a bracket and mounting the radiator in front. The only problem is that the hose cant be attached to the outlet of the radiator.

28. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Mat,
    I have maybe an inch between the radiator and grill shell. Im thinking this just isnt the right sized radiator. Looks like a higboy from the front.

29. What are the measurments of that radiator? I may be able to take it off your hands.

30. quandel_garage

quandel_garage

sweet, looks good i am jealous mines not this far along yet