Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ´34 Ford HotRod, pg. 9 the mouse motor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Baumi, May 6, 2015.

1. djfordmanjack

djfordmanjack
    from Austria

Can't believe it. These guys are hanging out here on the HAMB, instead of going out to their respective garages and actually doing some work on their cars....maaaan....:rolleyes:

Good work Baumi, need to get this Gold Nugget done before May, so we can finally (re) unite those old sedans!
    Jay, I've heard that there are neat old cars all over Mass, if it wasn't for the hoodlums hanging out around them....:D
    boys n toys s.jpg

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and Baumi like this.
  2. 34fordjay

34fordjay
    from Mass USA

All three of them look like hoodlums to me.
    Baumi
    I'm not sure of your sedan color. Did you paint it metallic Gold? Computers play tricks on us, but that's what it looks like to me.

loudbang and Baumi like this.
  3. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man, these guys look like they are up to no good! Jay you better lock that beautiful 40 Coupe away. Too many hoodlums hanging around your place, hahaha
    Jay, the color is actually called "pearl yellow metallic", it is just a normal metallic yellow or gold until the sun hits it, then it looks kind of frozen. The metallic pigments are quite fine and small, not coarse like in metalflake paints...

As for our visit to Carver next July, Jay,I´ll try to talk Günter into joining us,...We could just tell him there is a stash of rustfree 57 DelRios for sale cheap somewhere in Mass, he´ll come over with us in a heartbeat, hahahah
    I bet he wouldn´t even need a plane ticket cause he would be swimming before we can finish telling him our story:)

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. 34fordjay

34fordjay
    from Mass USA

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. 34fordjay

34fordjay
    from Mass USA

Baumi
    It sure would be nice to have Guenter come along too in July. It would also be nice to take 3 separate cars to car cruises like we did 2 years ago. Those were memorable nights. I still say that's the best way for me to get 3 cars to one cruise at the same time. As you know, my cars are always turnkey and ready
    to go.

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Baumi like this.
  6. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know Jay! It was an honor and an unforgetable event for me cruising your 40 Coupe through that mild late September night, along with you and Günter in the 34s. I even have that on video...

loudbang likes this.
  7. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found it, hope the link works. You driving Chitty and showing us around, me in your 40 and Günter behind me in the 34 Sedan. Wasn´t that the day you got Chitty out of storage and gave her the Marvel Mystery Oil treatment? hahahaha
    Sorry for the quality, I was busy driving:)

8. 34fordjay

34fordjay
    from Mass USA

That Plymouth looks like it can really get up and go . Is that the one which was your car at one time?

Yes I did take the 34 convertible out of storage that day. Do you still have the one where Guenter and I did the rolling start in the 57 and you did the filming at the end of the private road? .

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Baumi and loudbang like this.
  9. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes Jay, that was my ex-34 Plymouth...In fact, the rear gears were "autobahn"-friendly, 3.36 with L78-15s .And the engine liked to rev, so it wasn´t that aggressive off the line, but 50-130mph acceleration was pretty good.
    You are speaking of this video where you got rid of the stale gas in your float bowls?

loudbang likes this.
  10. 34fordjay

34fordjay
    from Mass USA

loudbang likes this.
  11. 34fordjay

34fordjay
    from Mass USA

That's the one that I was thinking about. Believe me, I have blown my share of transmissions and rear ends over the past 50 years, so that's my reason for just doing a rolling start. That little chirp at the end was when I downshifted. You were pretty brave to be standing there to do the video.
    Is there another way to get rid of the stale gas in the float bowls? You are going to have a lot of fun driving your 34 with the Y block. They are a fun engine
    I noticed Dani's carryall in some of your pictures. Just in case she mentions it to me this summer, I will need an answer. What is the progress report?

Runnin shine and loudbang like this.
  12. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Ok, I mounted the fuel tank on Monday and finished everything so far that I could start the engine. I primed the oilpump until there was oil up to the rockers, filled the float bowl of the Center carb with fuel and fired her up! She started right up and idled well until she ran out of gas. Oil pressure was very good for the few seconds the engine ran. Looks like the fuel pump didn't like sitting in storage for two years... I ordered a carter fuel pump for FEs from summit at $100 plus shipping plus some more things I might need or not, hahahaaaa
    I still have enough other tidbits to do, wiring the dash, installing the windshield, interior and a lot more to keep me busy until the fuel pump shows up in 2 weeks or so...
    Here are some pics to make me look like I was acutally doing something hahahah

brEad, Johnboy34, Chucky and 4 others like this.
  13. loudbang

loudbang

Your Y Block is not an FE. Hope this is just a word usage problem.

Baumi likes this.
  14. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know, but I read that an FE Pump will bolt to and work on the y block, and there were more options availible than for an y -Block pump. My old pump has a bulky fuel filter canister on the bottom I wouldn't mind to get rid of. And this carter pump doesn't have the filter extension...this is what i ordered

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  15. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So I got the new fuel pump and the 312 started right up! What a great relief after all that work ! That really got my juices flowing! The front and rear carb began to flood after a few seconds, so a backed down the fuel pressure to slightly under 3 psi, which helped a lot! But now the center carb is lean and running erratic at idle. I think I have a problem with the front and rear carb, the venturis were badly rusted inside and I doubt the butterflys really seal all that well when closed. Also the airhorns are warped to the point where you can push the gasket back and forth with the air horn top bolted down... Hmmm, I may have to adress that, hahahahaha
    I´m still having more fun with this car than law permits.... The y is running smoothly and has 65-70 psi oil pressure when it´s cold, and about 55-60 when it´s warmed up. I think the NOS replacement bearings were a good investment.Oil flow to the top is great too.
    Brakes are bled, tires mounted, throw out bearing´s bled too and seats mounted.... I think we are good for a test drive around the block soon!

brEad, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  16. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    A neighbor powercoated ths wheels for me, the turned out so nice that I may run them without hubcaps for a while!

brEad, exterminator, texkbc and 6 others like this.
  17. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

Drive it! That is a great car right there, just needs a tiny bit of the shine worn off it.

Baumi likes this.
  18. triumph 1

triumph 1

Your car came out great! Congrats! Now it’s time to start enjoying it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I wonder if you could "work" those carb tops flat again?
    Screw them down to a plate with a large washer bolted through the opening.
    Put them in the oven and get them hot.
    Tighten washer down until the base s flat again.
    Heat soak them for an hour or so then let them cool.

We used to do this sort of thing with magnesium helicopter parts. Works great. And only requires about 200 degrees. A kitchen oven would work.

20. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for this great tip! I will give it a try!

loudbang likes this.
  21. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Be gentle. Last thing you want to do is crack them. But as they don't work now it is likely worth a try.

It is pretty amazing how much a hot casting will move.

22. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

dumprat, I'm eavesdropping about the warped carb lid repair trick, and seeing that you are in B.C., are you talking 200*C or F?

loudbang likes this.
  23. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I always use the F scale for industrial stuff. Most of the texts here are in imperial measures so that is what I know.

Funny side note. I was in ohio for training. They kept adding Celsius and meteoric measurements to the class for me. I told them not to bother.

loudbang likes this.
  24. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

25. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The First time to move under itˋs own power in almost 3 years! What a blast! The y has plenty of torque and easily leaves black marks, even with only one carb funtional . I‘m more than happy with the way this 34 is turning out.

brEad, kidcampbell71, RMR&C and 3 others like this.
  26. texkbc

texkbc

Great Job!

27. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Getting the glass to fit the windshield frame was wone thing, getting the frame to fit the body was another. But mission accomplished, we have a windshield. And the car runs alot better with only one carb. I will need 3 new 94 carb bases. The old ones don´t seal well anymore and leak air at the butterflys . It has to be real rich to stay running at idle... next step will be to connect all the wire ends to each other and fab up a roof insert and last thing , the interior...

It is so much fun to tinker around with this car, although nothing seems to be easy or straight forward. It takes way more time to make things fit than I had expected.

28. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We had a long weekend from Thursday to Sunday a week ago, and that was perfect for some friends to come over and have a little party for a few days. Some came all the way from Switzerland and Austria or northern Germany. We had fun and it was a good opportunity to take the 34 out into the sun and make a few test runs around the block . Silly stuff like putting bicycle tubes or whistles on tailpipes happened too, maybe it was cause beer was involved, who knows... 34d.jpg
    Kelly is boss, no doubt about that
    34f.jpg 34h.jpg
    One happy camper,showing off, hahaa
    34j.jpg
    a cool pic from Günter @djfordmanjack
    BBBQ 01s.jpg BBBQ 06s.jpg
    bench racing happened too
    bbq12.jpg
    Edwin Wöltinger checking out Chris´ bike , I think it was the wrong mak for him. @Lowtech Marc, maybe you should get him a Harley, he´s looking a bit skeptical
    bbq13.jpg
    @Lowtech Marc being photographed while photographing, haha
    34a.jpg
    some stupid punks put a whistle on my tailpipe
    34b.jpg 34c.jpg

So after 4 days of fun the last folks left on Sunday and we started missing these folks a few minutes after... My girlfriend Dani asked " Would be nice to have them back tonight!" Great girl.

brEad, Lowtech, RMR&C and 5 others like this.
  29. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Finally: We got lights! I´m done with wiring, everything works AND, the most important thing: noody died in the process and nothing burnt to the ground. I am a hair stylist by trade, so all of that would have been likely. Turn signals, hazard flashers, dash lights, all instruments but the horn work. I used all cloth covered wiring because I thought it just looks so good on 30s and 40s cars. I had an old BOSCH horn , that doesn´t work yet, so I put on a late model one for safety inspection now, but later on I´ll try and fix the BOSCH horn. I ´m glad I used the old 356 Porsche Pedal assy, it is so much easier to push the pedal forward than stepping down on them while sitting almost on the floorAnd is was free. Overall I am more than glad how far I got . Now I´ll have to make up my mind about the interior ( and save some money for our summer vacation). We will be visting my uncle in Kingston, Ontario in July, do a little roadtripping from Toronto to Niagara Falls, to Venus, PA and visit with the AoK Racing -Asche family, after that we are going to head east to see my friend Jay in Carver,Mass and stay there for a while, and at the end of our trip we will sneak up back north again to my uncle´s in Kingston...
    @Stogy , maybe we get a chance to meet, that would be great!

MPBF5400.jpg EEKT5931.jpg EGZS1627.jpg

30. Eisenmann

Eisenmann

Sehr geiler Autowagen . Great job man.