Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1934 Ford Sedan Gender Reassignment Surgery

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by flatnasty, Jan 14, 2014.

1. st.rod

st.rod

Way more talent than I will ever have. Amazing!

Larry

2. texkbc

texkbc

great tip...thanks

3. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

great work!....I love this kind of build thread...awesome

4. Hey the car is coming along awesome! I had the chance to see it in person and it looks killer !...... you just had to chop it a bit more than mine didn't you.....lol

5. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

image.jpg pics 019.jpg pics 024.jpg pics 028.jpg pics 027.jpg pics 026.jpg Thanks everyone! Everyone has been great support and I have had some good tips and tricks from lots of you.

Went to town on car stuff this weekend. I spent all day Friday in the shop. Now that the roof is pretty well back together I got my attention pointed towards the doors. I started by crossing my fingers and cutting the doors open. Everything still lined up nice. Before I got too carried away with the door tops I decided to finish the inner A pillars and get the above the door tins and wood mocked back up and working. By the time I wrapped that up Friday was shot. Saturday I went to a swap meet. Scored a Brake drum 33 front axle and some 32 king pins and a model A headlight bar that was cut up. Sunday Back to the shop and tackled a door top. It was fairly simple all things considered. A million slices and a bunch fitting welding and grinding and It was good to go pics 026.jpg pics 026.jpg pics 027.jpg pics 028.jpg pics 024.jpg image.jpg pics 019.jpg pics 024.jpg pics 028.jpg pics 027.jpg pics 026.jpg image.jpg pics 019.jpg pics 024.jpg pics 028.jpg pics 027.jpg pics 026.jpg .

Attached Files:

ls1yj, Pufff and mauler rich like this.
  6. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

what a cool car well done

7. Keep going. And thank you for the updates.

8. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

Well fellas just thought Id say thanks for all the encouragement and let you know that I haven't been slacking off on this thing. I was able to get the other door top on over the weekend. It was a shit ton faster on the second side, since their was like half the head scratching this time. Turns out I was slacking by the looks of it. Slacking on the pictures! Fak sorry. Ill get some coming. Next up will be fire wall and a bunch of fiddly shit i Have been avoiding on the chop.

Brad

9. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

You're doin a great job man, looks killer!

10. That Is a hell of a chop man. Diggit

11. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

Besides the great job on the conversion to coupe! what an incredible wedge chop,i love the way the front of the door flows radius to radius with no flat/straight section,its no easy feet to get that.form ,function,flow on a wedge chop like that,this is gonna be interesting when painted,man stance ,chassis setup and wheel tyre combo are gonna make/break this! can't wait to see which avenue you take.great free thinking .johnny

12. Roger53

Roger53

This is one of them changes alot of them poor old mixed up four door cars dream of getting some day. Keep the pic's coming it's great of you to take the time to do it. Roger

13. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

During the week this week I worked on my door latches. They were all completely seized, and all the strikers were totally shot. When I bought the car The only unbolt-able part that came with the car was the cowl vent assembly and the rear door latches. So I drilled out the strikers on the rear latches and put them into my completely fucked front latches. Then I got everything all unseized on the passenger side and it working real nice. The driver side however was missing all of the mechanism that engages the latch. So between the welder, the grinder and a few old latches I had around, I was able to get the driver side up and running. That was an all day cluster fuck, but it turned out nice.The rest of the weekend I want to get the last of the welding on the inside of the door tops finished up.It's always nice when you get the doors swingin!

Brad

Pufff likes this.
  14. pumpman

pumpman

Impressive as hell man, I just burned an hour reading the thread and it was well worth it! Your work and eye for detail is just spot on. I have a dumb question because of my curious mind, how much sheet metal is left from the 4 door back half?

15. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

This weekend was a busy one over at my house but I was able to get an afternoon in of the old hot rod. I Patched up the firewall. Over the years someone figured it would be a good idea to drill, punch and butcher holes into the firewall. So I had to patch them up. There was 2 big holes for heater hoses that were put write through the reveals in the firewall. I was able to find the matching reveals to patch them in the inner rear door skin that was left from when I cut up the rear doors to make the quarters. Then I fixed some rust in the below the decklid panel. pics 123.jpg pics 127.jpg pics 129.jpg pics 143.jpg pics 141.jpg

Pufff likes this.
  16. agshelby

agshelby
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very impressive work. The sloping roof angle and front of the door window openings looks great -

17. Super inspiring!!!

18. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

Switching gears on the car this weekend. I'm finally at a point where I can get onto something aside from body work. I shuffled the car over to the other side of the shop this weekend and lifted the body off the frame with my hoist. Then I got to work on getting the motor and tranny set in the rails. I picked this motor up off a fella in Portland a while back. He told me it came out of his restored 39 ford he bought off a older fella. The story goes, the motor was a nos crate motor before it went in the 39. It was suppose to be for a 46 ford crate motor. However when I got there It was no 59ab out of a 46. It turns out it's a 99 motor. I lucked out there! Anyway it came complete with all the front suspension the tranny, diff and all the mint orig wiring. He pulled it out for all his street rod stuff. lol Gotta love those street rodders! Any way I plan on using the motor,tranny,diff and wiring in the car. The front end I sold off a little while ago to recoup cost on the rest of it as it is no use to me.
    My engine crane packed it in a while ago so I had to lift the frame over the engine. Kind of a pain in the ass but it worked.
    047.jpg 049.jpg 051.jpg 053.jpg I was pretty happy to seem my fan that I had was going to fit perfectly. 055.jpg I borrowed my friends 34 torque tube for mock up. I'll have to shorten the 39 when I get to that. 057.jpg

Brad

kiwijeff and Pufff like this.
  19. alchemy

alchemy

You would think it's gonna be a good combo, but even with the chop your body seems to sit a bit high. ;)

Outback likes this.
  20. Fogger

Fogger

Great project, what Hot Rodders don't want the Street Rodders can use and visa versa. Looking forward to your completion.

21. Squablow

Squablow

Great progress, looks good. What is a "99 motor" when referring to a flathead? I've never heard that term.

22. kidzintha34fodor

kidzintha34fodor

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. kidzintha34fodor

kidzintha34fodor

99A is 39-41 merc if I remeber and 99T is a truck block . Thicker bores than the standard Ford

24. Looking great Brad! I want to go for a ride when its done!

25. kidzintha34fodor

kidzintha34fodor

Man! looking good! You should see if you can talk Dave out of the floor! I see why he wants it, but it makes a lot of work for you!

26. JasonCarGuy

JasonCarGuy

Why wouldn't you just buy him a new 34 floor? Have you tried that, then you don't have to cut that one all out and he gets a new floor, win win...

27. hotrod_tommy

hotrod_tommy

I've been soaking up this and other "coupe-izations" and am now underway on my '34 Stude. 5-w coupe is the end-run, dream ride for me. No idea yet how I'll finish the top of the rear qtrs., but hoping to get access and time to learn on an English wheel at area shop. The Stude doesn't have a beltline rib, but a crease (sort of like '37 Ford?) so I can't just stick on Ford quarters, even if I could afford 'em.
    Had been on hold while title bonding process dragged on, but now have title in hand, so I have to sell off some of the fleet to pay for this, but let's boogie! ALL excited like a teenager again. I need that at this age. hahaha.