Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1934 Ford Sedan Gender Reassignment Surgery

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by flatnasty, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Looks great!

2. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

Schoum

That 3w project your working makes this thing look like chopped meat man! That car is looking sick. Thanks for the support

Brad

3. olskool34

olskool34

That is turning out really nice. So nice to see this progressing.

4. malibulvr

malibulvr

Great looking project, you have some mad skills there. Are you going to chop this or leave as is?

5. Yes we were lame and did not step up. We will just have keep hunting to find our projects.

Again kick ass workmenship and keep the updates coming.

6. kidzintha34fodor

kidzintha34fodor

looking good! Man! now I wish I would have never gotten rid of it!!! LOL

7. loudbang

loudbang

Man I just wish the title of this build would be changed. I get the creeps every time I read it. :rolleyes:

8. kidzintha34fodor

kidzintha34fodor

I think the title of the tread is pretty clever!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

DallasVW171 likes this.
  9. I agree the thread is perfect do not change a thing just keep adding updates.

10. Brad: The top looks a ton better. The whole thing is looking good..Tim

11. uncle buck

uncle buck

yuk, the proportions just look wrong.:eek:

12. raymay

raymay

Brad,
    been watching your build and I like what you are doing. Was never really a big fan of 4 doors. Currently doing another of my one of a kind designs on a 66 Malibu Wagon converting it into a 2 door Nomad.
    As you obviously know these conversions are not always an easy undertaking but they sure is fun, right?
    Keep up the great work.

Attached Files:

13. uncle buck

uncle buck

This looks to be a big undertaking that is happening really quick. I think what makes the sport coupe pic earlier post bad is the fact that it is too tall at the B piller. Chopping it will be the right fix for that here. The way you are going it should look good in the end. Nice job ! Cowtowns photoshop chop looks like a great inspiration too.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  14. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

I was able to put anouther day in on the car this weekend. I got to work on the rear wheel wells. They had to be narrowed and rust repaired. I spliced them in the middle of the belt line to avoid distortion when I welded them to the car. For the patch on the bottom I imbossed the circular impression with my press and a large socket and a piece of gas pipe. Then i tacked it in. The door skin I used to complete the quarter was caked full of bondo so I sarted grinding that out. YUCK. I got half way through and got sick of the mess, I'll finish that this week. I'll fix up the dents where the bondo was when it's all welded up and has some strength. Next I have a chunk of wheel well reveal to put in then the lower quarter pach and a bunch of welding, hammering and grinding.

Brad

Attached Files:

ls1yj and Pufff like this.
  15. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

it sure is amazing how this car transformed. I see alot of guys cutting down a 4 door sedan to make a 5 window. it looks like a lot of work. but i really think it is worth all the time and effort... it seems these things are so hard to come by, especially a coupe. you do nice work.! keep the pictures coming.
    A detailed build of cutting down a 4 door sedan would be a great tech week article!

16. olskool34

olskool34

Yeah I agree it looks like a ton of work but man you get to have a 5 window coupe when you're done! Great work as always.

17. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

Thanks everyone for all the support. So far this has been the my favorite build I have ever done. I look forward to working on it every chance I get.

Got a bit more work done last night ground the rest of the bondo out of that quarter. YUCK.

Brad

18. alchemy

alchemy

Have you ever tried heating the Bondo off a panel? Heat the Bondo up with a propane torch and it will curl like old paint on a house. Then scrape off. It's stinky, but lots less dust.

19. Eric H

Eric H

Amazing work, I can't wait to see more.

20. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

Alchemy

Fack thats Brilliant man! I don't know why i didn't think of that because I do that with old crusty undercoat all the time. Stinky is way better than stinky and dusty.lol

Good tip thanks

Brad

21. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Brad,
    You nailed the roof, I am starting to think you done this before.....LOL....I am still hoping someone is going to contact me with a rear section like you got, Really I would be happy with the lower rear roof section from a coupe, But If not My back up plan is to use a 35-36 humpback sedan lower roof panel and reshape it a bit, It is Not perfect but pretty damn close. Have you decided how much you are gong to chop it yet? I would just leave everything tacked until you chop it, As when you start bringing the top down it will start getting bulky again, This happens even on a stock coupe roof. You may decide to lean it in some more (just depends on how much you cut it and what looks good to you) Anyhow Great job! I can't wait to see it all come together for you.

22. desotot

desotot

Wow! great save. What do you have for fenders, or will it be fenderless?

23. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

Thanks Cowtownspeedshop

My plan is to leave everything to do with the roof just tacked for now that way if I need to shuffel anything around come chop time it's just cutting tacks rather than cutting up hours of metal finishing. I want to get the quarters totaly finished first so the car has some solid structure before I start cutting the roof off.

As far as the chop goes I plan on cutting off the roof and widdling away until I get somthing that I like. So I guess we'll see. I don't want anything super radical but I don't want anything super homo either It's kind of a fine line.

Desotot

Fenderless all the way man. Is their any other way? :)

Brad

24. manyolcars

manyolcars

For best results, heat the backside of the metal. The bondo comes right off

25. Squablow

Squablow

Your cut lines for panel alignment on those rear quarter openings are really clean, do you have a process you use for that? Are you overlapping the panels, then cutting through both at the same time, or making templates, or?

26. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

Thanks squablow

This is what I do to get my pannels to but up nice. I take my time and cut out the patch pannel to the size it needs to be making sure all my lines are nice and strait. then I cut the part of the car out that is being reaired but I leaving about an inch of overlap. Then I set my patch over top and clamp it in place. I use a nice sharp scribe and scribe the edge. Cut as close and carfully as possible to the scribe line. Then dress and final fit with a hand file.

I think thats a pretty standard way of going about it. No secret tricks there. Just takes time. Sometimes if possible I'll overlap and cut through both pieces but it doesn't seem to happen too often.

Thanks Brad

27. cptn60

cptn60
    from Joke City

Sir I owe you a beer. Hell I owe you a CASE.

28. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

I got anouther solid day in on the hot rod on Saturday. The girlfriend having to go to school on saturday is speeding this build up big time. lol:)

I got to work on picing the rest of the quarter together. Everything went according to plan I would say, alot of time hammering and dollying. Alot of welding and grinding. This is what I came up with. I still have a few things to handle on this side that I will tackle this week. After that it's on to the other side.

Brad

Attached Files:

kiwijeff, Nailhead A-V8 and Pufff like this.
  29. alchemy

alchemy

How about you leave the second door handle boss on that quarter, and install a golfbag door there? Would be a very rare high-zoot, high-hat coupe.

Outback likes this.