Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1934 Ford Hood Fittment/ Inner Fender Issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by goleafsgo_12, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Hey guys, need some help diagnosing the body fitment issue. The inner fenders and hood are short about 1.5" from meeting up. The hood fits to the body nicely, and fits to the rad shell nicely, but the inner fender seems to be low for the bottom of the hood hood to mate up. I've tried 2 sets of inners now, and if I raise the inner up to match the hood, the portion of the inner that would have sat on the frame horn is 2" above it and looks odd (as seen in one of the photos). Do I have some wrong parts? Thoughts?

I'm also about 1.25" short between the front fender rear mounting flange and rear fender front mounting flange, to fit the running board (aka it's to tight). Not sure if this has anything to do with my fit up re: hood/ inners.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Binkman

Binkman

Is that an aftermarket frame ?
    I would bolt the fenders, inner fenders, and front fender brace together loosely and try and see where you are off. It looks to me like the front fender brace might be mounted too low on the frame. That dictates where everything else sits. The gap at the bottom of the hood sides on my cars is between 1/4 and 1/2 inch.
    The radiator might also be too high as well.
    Aftermarket frames sometimes are off.

3. Thanks for the reply. Yes it's an aftermarket frame, the mount holes for fender brackets were pre-set and threaded. I tried bolting everything loose and pre-fitting, and the inner fenders would come in line with the hood, but in order for the inner to get to the correct spot, it ended up leaving my grill opening to small (between the fender extensions under the grill and the hood). When the inners go up, the fenders basically go with it, and that pushes my grill shell out of whack..

4. I would try bolting the inner fenders on to the frame, then the grill and hood. If that much works, go on to the fenders. I've had a few 33-34's and been through similar issues. do agree with binkman that it makes sense that the radiator is too high. Post a pic of how/where the radiator is sitting/mounted to the crossmember, we'll go from there. Tim

5. BJR

BJR

Are there blocks under the cowl? Seems like the body is too high in relation to the frame.

6. Idaho/Dave

Idaho/Dave
    from Idaho

you've got your work cut out for you, repop frame, fender braces, fiberglass fenders and inner fenders. Since your putting together a roadster you will have to shim the body for door fit, once your door gaps are set, I would fit the hood to the cowl, then the radiator and grill to the hood, compare the inner fenders to originals, they don't look right to me. Try and borrow some original fenders and inner fenders to compare. I'm sure your front fender braces will have to be cut and altered before your done. Good look

X38 likes this.
  7. Binkman

Binkman

On one of the first '34 roadsters I did I tried repo front braces and inner fenders. It was a total disaster but not as bad as what you are experiencing.
    Dave has it right.
    You have a lot to deal with with the frame, fenders, inner fenders, etc. all not original.
    It can be done but it will be a load of work.

8. Got it sorted out. Yes, lots of variables, but the constants were the original grill and original hood. I worked backwards from there. The few things that were hanging me up, there was a half inch of clearance on the rad that was binding under the hood side, the welting on the rad shell + a slight kink in the hood was opening up the passenger side fender-hood gap as well. The inners must have an issue because I had to boost them way up to get proper hood alignment, but I'd rather fix/ manipulate an inner fender then re build the rest of the front end. Thanks for your help all. The hood to inner fender gap sits around 3/8" driver side and 5/8" passenger side, with body lines along the hood in alignment.

Attached Files: