Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1934 Ford 5 Window 35 year garage find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod3w, Apr 17, 2012.

1. 3day

3day
    from UK

way cool just the way it is

2. J & D

J & D

Car Is not drivable the way it is. The frame has one crossmember in it, the rear one, and it is cut up. The rest are 1 1/2 angle and he had the transmission hanging off one of those.

3. 3day

3day
    from UK

i meant in terms of the bodywork. If you left it exactly like it is you're gonna have some trouble with front brakes too! Nice find.

4. Cool!! Congrats! Cool to see all those cars keep popping up!

Lars

5. J&D,

The chassis is not what makes this car special, it's the bobbed fenders, the channel and no chop. Please do not change those things.

Go ahead and build a new chassis. Just don't do anything stupid like a IFS or a 4-bar front end. A set of hairpins, or better yet, split bones and you are golden. Oh ya, no disc brakes either.

To say it again, this car is special and that needs to be preserved.

Back into my hole now. LOL

6. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Wow awesome find.I found one too but it,s a real mess but getting better all the time.

7. david363

david363
    from Texas

I like your plans.It's your car do as you please.You won't please everone but who cares it's your hard work and money.By the way better order your Donnie Smart floor now,iv'e been waiting a year and should be getting mine next month.Good luck with your build.

8. M.Edell

M.Edell

9. 1arock

1arock

X2 I agree100%

10. Vroom

Vroom

I don't think anyone has to worry about this car ending up with any of that stuff on it. This is his current car!

Attached Files:

11. Jason455

Jason455

WOW that thing looks CLEAN!

12. Damn that's sweet. I love the rear fenders

13. Richard (EV8G)

Richard (EV8G)

John: There is much correct in the advice to leave it like it is... Even though I am more of a purist (but NOT a purist) I would even go so far as to use a 348 in it if that is what
    was in it. As far as the cross-members, they can be found if the rails are ok - even the
    "X" can be. IF the rails still have the VIN on them, even more reason to use them (I know, numbers can be stamped but ORIGINAL numbers are nice...) What did it have for a transmission when it had the 348??? When I was in HS in the 60's, a guy I knew said that "348's are pigs" - he had a SBC in his 55, but then he ended up buying a 60 Biscayne with... a 348 3x2 and 4spd. They (348/409) look awesome and nothing else looks like them... but I guess maybe they ARE pigs??? (My 34 rdstr came from a Hog shed in Utah so WTF...)

The good news is, you found a bitchin' old race car. The bad news is, you should not
    do anything to destroy what you found. I have the same "problem" with my POS 34
    roadster...

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  14. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I totally agree with Daddy o's diner on leaving it alone. I understand your dilema as I have been through it first hand with my '32 3W coupe survivor '50's hot rod.

My coupe has the same angled channel job, bobbed fenders, and a reserve chop all done in lead. I had to build a new chassis as the original had been hit too hard to repair and was super brittle.

If you change it too far from its original configuration and look ( modify the body)then it looses its soul as an old hot rod and becomes just another chopped and fenderless '34 like the rest. If could even be mistaken for a glass car!!

Please think this through before you start changing it as it only original once!

Tex

Attached Files:

15. afaulk

afaulk

Nice find! What did ya do with the mustang? I'm figuring that with the hubcaps and A/C units, there must have been a Mustang in there somewhere!

16. J & D

J & D

Pat has a lot of cars. that mustang is a 67 conv. He has about 30 finished cars that are nice they are all 50s and 60s models. Some of them are for sale.

17. Wow!!!! That is a very nice find.

18. If you decide to loose the fenders, sell them to me please!

19. Buckster

Buckster

This email was sent to me by a friend who lives in Jacksonville,FL. He forwarded my email requesting info to another individual who sent along this message:
    Thunderbolt never opened until 1960 as far as I can remember because I graduated in '60 and I was a senior. Brannon was running at that time but soon closed because it wasn't a true 1/4 mile and Thunderbolt had NHRA sanction. I made most of them until I took off in the army. The only '34-5 window I recall belonged to Perry Browning and it had a small block chevy. I never saw this car unless it's Perry's old ride with a 348 or 409. Don't know if you know Bob Price, he could probably give some insight, he and Perry were best friends. Perry passed away some years back. I never heard of this guy.......... George