Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1934 chevy standard, with stock wheels

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by allanjon, Nov 15, 2018.

1. allanjon

allanjon

Is there a way to put disk brakes on 34 chevy standard with stock wheels?

2. i think it can be done. can you post a photo of the back of the wheel? i have converted a couple early axles to disc, one on a 39 gmc using rotors from a 78 blazer. i knocked the drum off the hub, put longer studs in and slid the rotor over, then made a bracket to hold the caliper. on the 38 pickup i used 94 nissan rotors, mounted on the back side of the hub and bolted through the face, like the nissan 4x4 originally was.

Hnstray likes this.
  3. The bolt pattern is the same as the 6 lug 4x4, or some of the earlier 2wd trucks, used before they went metric. So as tb33 suggested, it is just figuring out what rotor can work, and fabricating some caliper brackets.

4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Allanjon wants to retain the 4 1/4'' lug pattern, I believe …
    What else has been done to the car ? If it still has dry brakes, you got some work ahead of you.

5. chev34ute

chev34ute

You need to find rotors and stub axles with the same stud pattern as the stock drum brakes, once you have found them you should find a machinist. Use the the later stub axles as a pattern to get the earlier stub axles machined to the same dimensions. Once the machining has been completed, the later rotors will slide onto the reconditioned stub axles and use the same bearings.

6. sololobo

sololobo

I drove my 33 Chevy in my profile pic for years with the cable brakes and felt uptown to finally get hydraulic brakes. Good luck with your project, love those kidney bean back windows!

7. mlagusis

mlagusis

I would suggest getting a 40's thru early 50's truck disc brake kit with a 6 lug pattern. I am not 100% sure if the stock wheels will work or not.

8. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

I believe the 6 lug Chevy pattern is 6x5-1/2”. It may be possible to find some disc brake hats only you can drill the 6x4-1/4” pattern into and fit over your stock hubs. Of course then you get into offsets etc.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Did a little research because of these two posts. It appears 4 1/4" pattern can be either 5 lug (standard) and 6 lug for others? Any confirmation on this?

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

There are 5 lug 4 1/4" inch BC on some vehicles....T-Bird/Cougar chassis from '89/'95 era is one of them....and are discs, of course. There are probably others.......