Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1933 roadster build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by DeadFast 33, Jul 7, 2021.

1. bandoola

bandoola

Here's a couple pictures of my 34. Not as much chop as yours. Whoever did it, took a couple inches out of the bottom of the single rod - just above where the 2 rods which attach to the body join. It doesn't appear to be lower, instead it brought the back forward a bit.
    IMG_2216.jpeg IMG_2260.jpeg

2. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

Don’t laugh!!——I’m not much of a sheet metal guy: Got in a couple more hrs in on the floor today. Pretty stoked on how it’s looking and glad I buckled down and did it. I’ve got the rear crossmember cover and the trans tunnel to make next……fingers crossed

I also got the seat made and I still should fit with padding and upholstery.

FLiP

Attached Files:

3. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Nothing wrong with that.

Stogy, DeadFast 33 and loudbang like this.
  4. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

Spent a little more time tonight and wrapped up the rear floor/crossmember cover. Next is the front floor which is far beyond my skill level, we’ll see what happens!?!?!?………. I think I’ll focus on mounting the gas tank for now

FLiP

Attached Files:

5. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

The radiator shop finished chopping and recoring my radiator and this is the first time I’ve seen the car with the hood and good sides on it!!! To say my pants are tight is an understatement

When I planned all of the cutting pinching stretching craziness I only had a idea in my head and a bunch of measurement and I sent the radiator out for work and I didn’t know if it was going to work until the radiator was done. My FAD(FLiP aided design) worked perfectly!! After dropping the hood on I started making templates for the hood filler that I’m going to make out of aluminum and have louvers cut in them. And yes I still need to bend the spindles to put the tie rod under the wishbones.

I couldn’t be any more pleased with how this car is turning out!!!

FLiP

Attached Files:

6. Love this build, love the stance, the roof, the proportions, the tail lights. Keep up the good work!

7. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

Thank you!! Being as cartoony ‘artsy’ without over doing it…..I have a problem of over doing things.

FLiP

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  8. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

Looks really good!

Stogy, loudbang and DeadFast 33 like this.
  9. Neat and trim on both ends, headlights look good. I like that it doesn’t have hairpins on the front. Keeps all the best of the 33 style with a wicked chopped top. Hope it drives as well as it looks. I am staying tuned.

10. Great build - the car looks killer!

11. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

Cut up a old hwy sign that said ‘race track next exits’ I made the filler panels and put nutserts in the frame to attach them and I also made a behind the grill under the radiator filler panel. Now I need to louver them up!!!

FLiP

Attached Files:

12. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

It’s no secret that I draw my biggest inspiration for car building from race cars both new and old. Today I made some salt inspired wheel disk covers. I also leaned on @cedricmeeks car quite a bit and of course @ken.schmidt_rollingbones various builds. I’m not sure if I’m going to DA them? Engine turn them or polish/paint em’……to hard to make up my mind at this point. After a few more pieces fall into place I’m sure they’ll tell me what they want……What do you think??? #parlayroadster #1933roadster #1933ford #1933fordroadster #flatheadford

Attached Files:

13. loudbang

loudbang

I vote for DA. :) It will match the style of your Hot Rod better.

brady1929 and DeadFast 33 like this.
  14. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

No opinions on the wheel covers………

FLiP

Stogy likes this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They're very plain...I'm thinking the true moon caps would be more fitting...

Yes I am very fond of the Bones movement but also appreciate the other vintage offerings...

I suppose knowing how your finishing aka shiny or satin or otherwise might assist in the Appreciation of what you have created...perhaps a bullet right dead center or a pinstripe or two might add something...

I have to remember in land speed to factor aka purpose built also influencing decision...here's another dynamic...does a domed cap positively effect handling and speed...4 stabilizers

I don't like to criticize and actually I'm not but you are a fantastic builder with a very diverse vision so I sincerely believe you'll make me eat crow with what you do with them...;)

Caps are huge in the Look so it's really an influential and huge decision...and what you're presenting is period correct and secured...aluminum is a beautiful metal you could polish them too...

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

244502955_371944941274747_2865889311013002463_n.jpg

I needed to see what you mentioned and yes this is a Hotrod I recently saw shared here...I like it All!!(Crow Time...:eek:), especially the Tinted glass and Plexi hood those's mid 50s to 60s Show N' Go type of features...did the SoCal Coupe run similar Caps...machine turned as you mentioned, maybe polished would offer a look and reflections and minimal drag did they make conical discs with varied pitches?...

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    63fdsnr, loudbang and brady1929 like this.
  17. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Flip the roadster is bitchen and love the stance. Well my vote is for engine turned discs but As a toolmaker it adds craftsmanship ,precision , you mean business with a bit of elegance.

DeadFast 33, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  18. @DeadFast 33 , your roadster's wheels/tires, stance & pinched nose are perfect.:cool:

Brushed or engine-turned wheel discs would be great. Maybe you could repeat the treatment in the interior (like the trans tunnel) or some engine compartment brackets???

The headlights are a bit high for my personal taste, but they're correct for a late '40's- early '50's build, when cops wrote tickets for too-low headlights.

Overall, I LOVE it. :)

DeadFast 33, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  19. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I'm not a fan of the bones cars for the same reason I don't think your caps fit your build.

On a competition style car they look right, with a full top and no roll bar yours kinda look out of place. Kinda like Cragar wheels and wide whites, it's just a bit off.

20. alchemy

alchemy

Try an engine turn on a spiral. Would that be cool?

21. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I gotta agree with @dumprat . The wheels/tires/rims "make" the look of a car, and those boring, flat caps do nothing but detract from that look (IMO). I'd vote for 18" Ford wires on the back, and maybe 16/17"s on the front.

22. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

That’s kind of what I was thinking…

loudbang likes this.
  23. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

Initially I was going to do with no top and a tonneau cover with a small roll bar, which I still might do…..I like not being in the sun.

early salt and drag cars are so cool but compromising for the street in modern times is a slippery slope!

This era is so cool!!!

FLiP

loudbang, Just Gary and Stogy like this.
  24. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

So cool…..

Attached Files:

25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1953_SoCal_AlexXydiasCoupe1.jpg

moon.jpg

Alexwrestoredtank.Alexs.jpg

:rolleyes:...All Race...a mix of flat and Dish and finishes...and running these looks on a Streetable Hotrod this is where the attitudes flare...but being screwed on they won't pop off eh!!...;)

Note the reflections of the polished discs on the lakebed in the last image...

Credit to Photographers, Owners

26. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

nice roller........................

Stogy and DeadFast 33 like this.
  27. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

Yes, yes and yes!!

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Iconic man and pic...
    I wonder if he drove this on the street?...this was probably staged but doesn't reflect that possibility even minus the lights...

loudbang and DeadFast 33 like this.
  29. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Love this build. Looking forward to seeing more!

loudbang and DeadFast 33 like this.
  30. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

Today a crucial piece of the puzzle showed up in the mail. My good friend Justin Brunmier made the roll pan for the back of the roadster….the rub is he’s in Colorado and I’m in Santa Cruz California We had a discussion over the phone and I sent a rudimentary tracing and he knocked it out of the park!!!!

Now that I have it rough fit I’ll get help from the local homies Claytons Hot Rods and Holm built to fine tune the fitment and then have Marc Nelson punch the roll pan along with the hood full of louvers.

needless to say I’m getting really excited how things are goin!!!

Now for the big motor compartment hurdle….I was going to run a 4-71 but if a pm7 barely fits under the hood(without air cleaners) then I don’t think a blower is gona get it.

Since a mechanical fan is also looking like a joke maybe I should put triple or maybe a quartet of 97’s on top of the 304?????
    It’s always something and it’s never over……

thanks for looking,
    FLiP

Attached Files: