Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1933 roadster build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by DeadFast 33, Jul 7, 2021.

1. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

I’ve always wanted a 33 roadster. I had a 3w that I loved but after I crashed it I lost the love and regrettably sold it. I built and sold a few cars and finally thought I had my ‘forever’ car in a 32 roadster. Mega happy with how the car turned out(build post on here somewhere) but as luck would have it our time together was short.

I work as a tattooer 5 days a week and for one or two days a week I work at Claytons hot rods. In December I come home from a day of work at Clays and we had just finished a 33 roadster for a customer. I was telling my wife about my day and was saying the only car I’d sell my newly finished 32 for in a heart beat would be a 33 roadster……as I’m drinking my after work Ice T saying this I turned on Instagram and holy shit what was the first post I saw

there it was,…..a 33 roadster for sale

After a lot of inner struggle I put the newly finish ‘forever’ roadster up for sale so I could buy the other forever roadster.

I succeeded in making a deal and I was able to get my ultimate car!!!! Now to build it to fit my crazy vision for how this car should look.

Some before pics and a drawing of my vision.

FLiP

Attached Files:

Spooky, Tim, dana barlow and 15 others like this.
  2. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

The only way to get where I want to go is too start cutting stuff up and moving it around. Since I’m running 18’s in the back(they are really tall) I had to do some work to get things down where I want to be.

I also don’t like the look of the 33/4 front frame horns so I decided I might as well pinch the frame and really clean things up.

FLiP

Attached Files:

Tim, Outback, pitman and 9 others like this.
  3. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

For the rear I also knew I wasn’t gona run the gas tank so I had a bunch of ‘extra’ frame to scoot the model A crossmember back once I got it kicked where I wanted.

lots of pie cuts but I got it where it needed to be….yes I will be plating and boxing the kick up.

I’m gona head to work but I’ll post more later. Those of you who might follow me on Instagram have already jumped ahead a few steps.

FLiP
    @eights_aces_flip

Attached Files:

Tim, So Cal Brian B, Outback and 12 others like this.
  4. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

After the rear was set I was waiting for a front spring from the soon to be closed magnum axle co. When it arrived I got to getting the front suspension under the car.

I used 46/8 front bones with weld on ends from Carrillo customs which totally saved the day!! It made the front end way less bulky and I didn’t have to harvest ends from another set of bones. I’m also using 33/4 spindles with the Dennis Lacy deluxe king pins which are going to give me the simple early look I’m after.

I still need to do some finer tuning on bending the steering arms.

FLiP

Attached Files:

missmuriel, Tim, Shadow Creek and 9 others like this.

5. Squablow

Squablow

Watching this thread as I'm sure there's a lot more updates coming, but looks good so far. I have all of the pieces to make a '34 roadster but man what I wouldn't give to start with a body that clean!

Outback, Nailhead A-V8, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  6. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Yep, I like me some Model 40 roadster. Looks good, keep it up.

7. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

Yeah I’m very fortunate!! I had to let go with some serious cash, but I feel work ahead starting with such a clean body.

FLiP

Outback, Stogy, kidcampbell71 and 2 others like this.
  8. brady1929

brady1929

Congratulations.

Stogy, loudbang and DeadFast 33 like this.
  9. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

Now that I’ve got a roller I’ve got to cut into my really nice body to accommodate the frame kick up so I can drop the body on and see where I really want the rear tire to sit in the wheel well.

FLiP

Attached Files:

10. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

After fitting the body I got my fore and aft figured out and also decided I needed to ditch my reverse eye spring and go with a standard eye model A rear spring. Body on, body off, body on, body off…….but I’ve got it where I want it!!! I also dropped a mock up motor in and figured out where it’s gona sit and tacked in some mounts.

this is as far as I’ve made it, more updates as soon as I make progress.

FLiP

Attached Files:

11. FlatJan

FlatJan

lookin good, nice stance

12. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

Got in a little time today. Got the rear of the frame and the rear suspension minus the wishbones pretty much done. The torque tube is shortened and I’m trying to figure out finishing the front suspension. Gota bend the steering arms and figure shock placement but getting close.

FLiP

Attached Files:

13. Elvis100

Elvis100

Nice, glad to see you are posting on here.

14. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

Yes, and this build will have some help from you as well!!!

Cyclone Kevin, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  15. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

I spent a couple days thinking over how I was going to make a brake master work with the stock pedals. I definitely heavily leaned on the Dennis Lacy design but had to deal with a closed drive 5spd and wanting to move the master up into the safety zone for a car that’s going to be really low!!
    I’ve got to do the final welding and I’m going to add some extra bracing. This is like Dennis's design and is bolt in and only had to drill one extra hole so far……

FLiP

Attached Files:

16. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sweet ride .Love them bones..

17. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

Did some cleaning up of the chassis, bolted some crap on the motor for a little more weight.

Now that I’ve got the car sitting where I want it I bolted down the body and started to figure out the amount of windshield chop. I took out 3.5” what do you fellas think? I’m over six foot and I will probably put a top in the car.

Next will be to get the rear floor handled.

thanks for looking,
    FliP

Attached Files:

18. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man, it's got the stance. Nice.

19. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Sweet! I like mail slots. Get the seat low and you should be ok.

Stogy and DeadFast 33 like this.
  20. Cool build.
    I really like the pinched front frame rails. That combined with the serious rake you're giving it will look really racy. :cool:

Stogy, DeadFast 33 and loudbang like this.
  21. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

Thanks everyone!! This is a car I’ve wanted to build for a long time and I’m very happy with the way it’s coming together.

Sometimes having an artistic brain can be a hindrance….I just can’t rush it

FLiP

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  22. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

This is what I’ve landed in 4.125” chop. Got the frame and stantions cut and waiting for the windshield studs to final things.

FLiP

Attached Files:

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

loudbang and DeadFast 33 like this.
  24. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Stance and chop proportions look very nice. You have a great eye. Nice work!

Stogy, DeadFast 33 and loudbang like this.
  25. Been watching the build on IG, great to see a build thread on the HAMB.

You have nailed the stance! I look forward to seeing the car with front sheetmetal and grille.

26. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

I can hardly wait for the front sheet metal as well!!! Waiting on the radiator to be cut down…the radiator shop is kina slow.

FLiP

27. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

I’m not a fan of chopping down top irons…..Here it goes

FLiP

Attached Files:

28. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

Did I get the wood bows in the right spot?? Check out my latest pictures.

thank you for the wood!!!

FLiP

kidcampbell71, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  29. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

I have no clue what I’m doing(never chopped irons before) but I’m happy with the look. Nice and swoops with a ton of forward movement!!! P.S. I never want to do this again thank you @beornwhetstone for the wood. #parlayroadster #1933roadster #1933ford #1933fordroadster #flatheadford #blownflathead #claytonshotrods #hopuplive #hopupmagazine #hamb #hotrod #trog #rpmnationals #model40

Attached Files:

30. Love it! When I look at mine, I want to move the front wheels forward about 2-3 inches. Yours looks perfect!

kidcampbell71, Stogy and DeadFast 33 like this.