Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1933 Plymouth- Sedan project updating as it goes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by abe lugo, Mar 22, 2016.

1. I'm looking to mock up the steering setup on this project.
    I want to run the wavy tube axle. Also running the original steering arms and spindles. Also still going to use the parallel springs setup all original style.
    I have the original setup all the way up to the steering. I know not all of it will or should work for this.
    The original steering box with the tube will create interference, so i have to run a vega box.

Here are some of my questions.

Has anyone ran a new draglink to a vega style pitman arm in this type of setup? Using original spindles.

I know a couple things will have to happen, I may have to ream out the draglink loop for a ford style tierod,then just measure and get the appropriate style draglink length and tierod end for the pitman arm.

Did I just answer my own question? Maybe.

Do you guys have experience with this exact setup Please chime in.
    Also looking for advice on how far forward or back you step the vega box.

I'll be running the original column shortened with some u-joints.

NO I am not going to run Ford spindles- thanks for the suggestions.

For people that need some substance, here are some photos.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

[​IMG]
    I personally prefer to have the drag link parallel to the tie rod and also parallel to the ground. Everything works better as a parallelogram and aesthetically, it looks tidier.

A Vega box is OK with a light weight vehicle but in a heavier one I'd suggest something a little more substantial or heavy duty for cross steer application. You'd be pushing the boundaries with a Vega IMHO as the leverage will push it's limits at 2500lbs.

I'd suggest a 525 box, looks similar but more robust and better suited to heavier vehicles over 2,500lbs
    http://classicperform.com/Dealer_Online/Html/CatalogPart3.pdf

abe lugo and Habitual like this.
  3. Thanks I'll look into it. I found a bunch of info on the 525 box, will go that route. And yes my car is right at 2500 lbs, I see the CPP says 2800 pounds for a vega box, so its right at the upper edge.

I found Borgeson also sells a 525 box, it has quicker steering ratio and a shorter shaft. Not sure which one to go with just yet. I like the fact the CPP is relatively close to me. It also seems they have lifetime warranty on the box? Thanks for the suggestions MGTSTUMPY.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  4. Mopar power in a Mopar,good on you.Nice to see a Plymouth.

mgtstumpy likes this.

5. Thanks. I really wanted to keep it most all Mopar. We will see...
    Also I went to the Mopar show last summer in Riverside,Ca not one poly engine. More Hemi's than what you would find at a dealer in the 60's or today at that.
    I may do the mild cam but need to read up more on Poly engine a bit.
    I'm finding I want to get the basic mockup and placements done. Then worry about anything over the top.

I slowly collected parts for a few years to complete the car now just need to get to work on it.
    And yeah it does need some body work. But that will all get worked out in the end.

6. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

We have a 30 Plymouth sedan and I happened to pick up a the steering from a 32 Dodge that a Hot Rodder had ripped out for modern stuff. It bolted in place of the stock and actually steers as smooth as glass. It takes no effort. Yea not the question you were asking for, but another option. Pics available upon request.

7. Typo41, I really was thinking about trying to keep the original steering, did you know that post those parts are about the same through '40?
    I'll give it another go this weekend with the original box and see if it can actually bolt in. It should be a good exercise just for future builder using these threads.

BTW I used the Butch's Cool Stuf mount kit. I had to make a new late for the trans mount, but I may make a nice version of a cross member back there. It just a .375 inch plate bent up and bolted in.
    In the front the plymouth chassis has some stamped holes on the inside frame rail. I will be making a patch for the right side for the motor mount gusset to sit correctly. This will be done when it all get welded in for good.

8. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

I kept all the original steering & springs on my '36 Dodge pickup. I had to move the steering box back 6" right up to the firewall. Shortened the original column with a u-joint. Extended the original drag link 6". It works fine.

abe lugo likes this.
  9. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

10. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

If all goes well, here are the shots of our Plymouth, and sorry about all the junk as it is not scheduled for work until the fall... and I was in my work clothes, and some of go to work in slacks and dress shirts.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]