Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1933 Ford Roadster @ Hotrod Garage, Martinez, Ca..updates..PICS....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Farmer, May 7, 2012.

1. ....alright, so here's the skinny on this '33...originally i'd stated it was a '34, but i was incorrect, it's a '33. She's quite a beauty too, as nice an example as I think a guy could find short of a restoration or preserved time capsule. I figured I should give a background story on this roadster, and what it all means, and where it's headed. The current owner, is my good friend, whom i've referred to previously in other posts as "Uncle Randy". Randy's got the uncle prefix, 'cause he's like family, and bein' from Kansas I ain't got none out here in California. I've been through alot of tough times out here on the West coast...divorces, child custody battles, alcoholism, financial pits, etc. Some of you all know what this is all about, so you can appreciate when you have a friend that stands along side you through it all, never casting judgement, and always there to tell you what you need to hear, not necessarily what you want to hear sometimes. That's Randy. It doesn't end there, however...Randy is not just a friend I consider kin, but the most skilled machinist, welder, fabricator, and dreamer of shop dreams i've ever seen. The dude's got skills, believe it. Randy's shop, "Hotrod Garage" is not just another mancave, shop, or hotrod sanctuary. It's a healing place. I venture to say that i've spilled as many tears sitting on an old Shell oil lube can, as I have spilled grease on that shop floor. It's where i've always gone to lick my wounds from life's cuts and jabs, we just also happen to build hotrods and rebuild lives there too. Hotrod Garage is a place of preservation. Preservation of the mind, heart, soul, and faith in all we believe in. It's hallowed ground as far as I'm concerned. It's a place of light, not darkness. It's bullshit proof. Even I couldn't come around there when i was trapped in my bottle of Rum...ashamed, because I knew Randy would see it. I had to get right again to walk down that driveway after hiding from the world for a long time, but that long walk was the day I began to heal again. It's an Alamo of sorts....the place where we'll make our last stand, fighting for the old American dream...not this current govt. spun web of bullshit and all that comes with it. We preserve our culture, which is hotrodding. It's as American as apple pie and baseball. It was born here, from the minds of men who dared to go faster, and men who took a Model T, A, B, or C Ford (and let's not forget Whippets), and used them to express themselves via pistons, manifolds, cut down windshields. These men had no model to copy...only the drawing in their minds. It's that culture that Randy and Hotrod Garage represent. With that said, it's makes me happy to see my friend succeed, to live his dream, and for old tin to find it's way down his driveway. This '33 is much more than just a roadster project, an old relic from Argentina, or a rare car. This is a chance for a man to express himself, and the timing is uncanny. I suppose when the good Lord has a plan, it just kinda happens that way.
    ...So, here's how that plan unfolded up until this point. My friend was out getting coffee at a neat burger joint that's been around the east bay for a long time, which we affectionately know as "the spot". This coffee run was nothing out of routine....just another day. While there, conversating with a fellow motorist, Randy was given a tip, that a '33 Ford Roadster had been living, tucked away in Martinez, Ca. for some time, and the location of the old gow job. Acting on that tip three weeks later, Randy decided to just see what was what and look into it. 5 had gone by, and the phone call came that the owner would sell. To no surprise, one look was all it took, the details were worked out, and the '33 came to live across town @ Hotrod Garage. Now, the timing here is key, and without the honesty and integrity of the individuals involved...this just wouldn't have happened. It's a reassuring thing to know that these values still live on in some people. All too often, money troubles the hearts of men, and transactions take on an unintended form, and poison friendships, and partnerships over a deal. This was not the case here, like I said, when the good Lord has a plan..... So, back to the roadster. This really is my friends open canvas....a chance to ask himself....not, "what would others do here?", but rather, "what can I do here?"....and the real question i would put to my friend is this: "what CAN'T you do here?" It will be alot of fun to watch this process, and Randy will stay true to the early days of hotrodding, the Golden era of the '40's-'50's, and like those men, express himself with metal, speed parts, and do things noone else has seen or done before. Navarro, Meyer, Tattersfield, Winfield, Iskenderian, Edelbrock....all these men know all about this expressing one's self...chucking up an idea into a lathe and coming out with a new way....their way. I hope this all sheds some light onto why "Uncle Randy", and Hotrod Garage are so special to me, and why when something like this comes my friend's way, I couldn't be more happy for him. The best part is I get to watch it happen, and when i'm not working my 12 hour shifts at Shell Oil Refinery, i'll lend a hand in the process. As time allows, I will do my best to keep you all posted with pics and details. I'm sure alot of you have your own version of a good friend in your life, and a sanctuary such as this. Treasure it, as I do. I say......stay tuned if this is a station you like....
    Farmer

Attached Files:

• 2A.jpg
      2A.jpg
      File size:
      176.8 KB
      Views:
    • 3A.jpg
      3A.jpg
      File size:
      418.7 KB
      Views:
    • 4A.jpg
      4A.jpg
      File size:
      396.2 KB
      Views:
    • 5A.jpg
      5A.jpg
      File size:
      431.4 KB
      Views:
    • 8A.jpg
      8A.jpg
      File size:
      176.8 KB
      Views:
    • 10A.jpg
      10A.jpg
      File size:
      190.9 KB
      Views:
    • 11A.jpg
      11A.jpg
      File size:
      212.8 KB
      Views:
    • 12A.jpg
      12A.jpg
      File size:
      186.6 KB
      Views:
    • 16A.jpg
      16A.jpg
      File size:
      439.7 KB
      Views:
    • 18A.jpg
      18A.jpg
      File size:
      128.9 KB
      Views:
    • 21A.jpg
      21A.jpg
      File size:
      153.6 KB
      Views:
    • 22A.jpg
      22A.jpg
      File size:
      230.1 KB
      Views:
    • 23A.jpg
      23A.jpg
      File size:
      524.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 13, 2012
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Very friggin cool, congrats on the find !

3. That is awesome and a solid looking roadster.

4. brady1929

brady1929

sweet hot rod

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I like the Jeep tires on the front...

6. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

awesome! what are the plans for it?

7. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

Holy SH$t!!!

BadAss Man, keep us posted PLEASE!!!

8. not my find, it's a friend's new project- i think you'll be glad with his plans so far....keep it on wires, black bias ply firestones, highboy, possible tonneau cover, el-mirage racer look...'40's era. it's a right hand drive Argentina Ford, so he's going to swap it over to USA specs, and so he's looking for some parts:
    1. left hand drive steering column/pitman arm
    2. roadster stantions (maybe)
    3. left hand pedal assembly
    4. throttle linkage (v8)
    5. reverse-eye front 'n rear springs (maybe)

-thanks for the positive feedback guys! i'll keep you posted....going to take some daytime pics this morning

9. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

10. Very cool! Mt favorite ol Ford!!! I have his pitman arm...

11. heres a few more from lastnight...i have some nice daytime pics coming soon-

Attached Files:

• 24.jpg
      24.jpg
      File size:
      235.7 KB
      Views:
    • 25.jpg
      25.jpg
      File size:
      243.9 KB
      Views:
  12. ...

Attached Files:

• 30.jpg
      30.jpg
      File size:
      198.7 KB
      Views:
    • 32.jpg
      32.jpg
      File size:
      148.4 KB
      Views:
    • 33.jpg
      33.jpg
      File size:
      170.8 KB
      Views:
    • 34.jpg
      34.jpg
      File size:
      181.2 KB
      Views:
    • 35.jpg
      35.jpg
      File size:
      174.7 KB
      Views:
  13. Caddilac dash?

14. ...it's a '33 Buick

15. ...last of the digital until the film comes.

Attached Files:

• 40.jpg
      40.jpg
      File size:
      151.1 KB
      Views:
    • 41.jpg
      41.jpg
      File size:
      148.3 KB
      Views:
    • 43.jpg
      43.jpg
      File size:
      223.5 KB
      Views:
    • 44.jpg
      44.jpg
      File size:
      192 KB
      Views:
  16. sorry, they're all artsy with not much detail, but i was a bit limited on what i could do at the time, but i'll have some nice well-lit full car pics soon

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred

Was getting it into the states a problem?

18. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Anyone who finds something that cool is a lucky dawg!!!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

A friend of mine just picked one up this past weekend for his Roadster Pickup. Great looking dash and the center piece is a work of art!!!

Awesome score!!!

20. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

that looks like randy's '32 roadster that him and kirol drug out of a ravine...

21. tfeverfred: it was already in Martinez, Ca. so i have no idea, but from the history i know, it's been in the USA and came from Argentina at least 60 years ago.

3wLarry: yup, good eye..it is Randy's '32, but Kirol didn't help him dig it out, he just did the body work years later. It was found @ 4 corners in a wash, upside down, by Randy's (late) best friend, Dwight Hunt during a surveying trip. He and a friend dug it up off the reservation land over the course of 4 days...at least i think that's how it went down. Randy inherited it after Dwight passed away years ago.

22. got the film developed....here's some more in the light so's you can see her better....feedback, and info is welcome. We know a thing or two, but we don't know it all. ;)

Attached Files:

23. thanks Chris! I see you have a '34...nice lookin' build man!

24. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

oh man... boneriffic! haha, love it!

25. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Farmer,
    This is unreal. I can't wait to see what happens here.

26. One Finger John

One Finger John

I might leave it right hand drive. Doesn't take too much adjusting to be comfortable on the "wrong" side and it's great for conversation. Besides, you could save money by not converting it.

Just a thought, John

27. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

Nice project.
    Like the dashboard

My 33 was a 33 right hand drive four cylinder car to.

More pics here.
    http://www.brandow.eu

[​IMG]

28. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

bought a 34 rdst., and a 34 cabriolet a few years back , they were from argentina also, were sitting in a barn for years. cabrio. is about ready for paint. roadster is being worked on as i write. will be a mild 40's-50's custom w/cad eng. converted cabr. to rh dr. bought petal assy. for the rdst,apl. 30 on ebay, still havent seen them yet USPS cant find them.

29. The USPS....no comment on that....they aint what they used to be, i feel your pain