Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***1933 ford drag car survivor****

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 31whitey, May 14, 2009.

1. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

man thats the coolest!!! I hate you a little more today. :D

2. RacerRick

RacerRick

That car makes my pants tight!

3. 31whitey

31whitey

Piero...wait till you see this man...

I just freed up the rear brakes good and will roll it outside...

Ill take some pics in the sun.

I got a cool idea...Ill pM ya.

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Very interesting car with all of the little details. You're right about it being "a cut above" for the time it was built. I would have a very difficult time deciding which direction to go with this one. Probably just sit and look at it for a few weeks and then proceed with caution. The problem would be not wanting to destroy the origional vibe but needing to to make it usable. I'm not one for putting these things in "museums" but in this case...........................I don't know.:confused:

Frank

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  5. 31whitey

31whitey

Ya Frank...you touched on a SERIOUS subject here.

This is so intact its going to be very challenging to get her running...while keeping EVERYTHING intact.

I am NOT taking this lightly...or 1 part for granted....

This car will be PRESERVED.

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Atta boy!!!

What I need to do is take of on a friday from work cruise over to your neck of the woods and lend any bit of help I can for a weekend. That would be worth the weight of gold just to me.

I think that this car is in the best hands possible. You have such a respect for these east coast style cars that we know it will stay exactly how it was when it was pulled into that garage 45 years ago. Any other guy would have definitely looked at that grille and hood and said "that has to come down a little". You love those quirky things that gave the east coast styled cars so much character. Good luck bro!

7. Duntov

Duntov

Sorry about high-jacking this tread but this '33 Ford reminds me of lost '34 Ford race car.

Anyone know what happened to Red Jasper's '34 Ford C/Gas coupe? The last time I saw it the car was sitting in a garage in Brownwood, Texas. Red Jasper was beaten by the '38 Chevy owned by Stone, Woods and Cook in the 1961 NHRA Nationals at Green Valley Raceway in Fort Worth Texas. Red was so disapointed about losing to Doug Cook that he took the Ford back to his home in Brownwood, Texas , retired from drag racing and never started the SB Chevy engine again. Red Jasper died about 1972 and his car sat undisturbed from 1961 until 1965 when the engine was removed. The car sat in the garage with no engine until 1969, and now the whereabouts of Red Jasper's metallic green '34 Ford Coupe is unknown.

A friend purchsed the 301 CI SB Chevy engine from Red Jasper's '34 Ford coupe in 1965 and put it in a 1961 Impala. The dividers between the intake ports were removed and each head had only two huge intake ports feeding four cylinders! The engine had VERY LITTLE torque l below 4000 RPM but it would make strong power from mid track to as high as 7500 RPM. .

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  8. 31whitey

31whitey

Jeffrey, you dont know how right you are man...

I actually sat back and looked at that a few minutes ago and just went ahhhhhhhh....

You need to come this way...bring a crew...or whomever.

Your roadster would be huge out at the beach...

Duntov...man that coupe sounds awesome...hope you get some leads...the last owner of this sedan went by RED....

9. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Congratulations!!:eek: very sweet car!!

10. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Now that is a true surviver. I am with HRP,Alot of very cool hotrods have seen the sun this week for the very first time in many years.

Now I need to keep hunting down an old survivor for myself.

11. James427

James427
    BANNED

Cool car with cool mods. I have to admit I'd one of the guys trying to "fix" that grille sticking up halfway into the windshield though.

12. 31whitey

31whitey

Thanks John...you got enough cool stuff....hahaha

James...I think the pics make it look alittle more pronunced...but its staying.

All of it...

13. racinman

racinman
    Member Emeritus

Whitey, Thanks for your business... Good to meet a true HotRodder... Good luck with your survivor... I was just happy to help get it out and haul it to you. This is what makes my long days on the road worth it. Like I told you, I would take care of it like it was mine, while I transported it. Great Find! Take care, If you need anything in the future, Please call. Rick the Racinman

14. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

31Whitey, That is one fuckin' GREAT lookin' Hot Rod, GLAD to hear you're gonna preserve a piece of history!

Nick.

15. mtlcutter

mtlcutter

that is too damn sweet.

16. froghawk

froghawk

What an amazing find! Congratulations, it sure sounds like you're the right guy to preserve this great looking car. Thanks for posting the photos; so many details, and so amazingly intact in every respect, I can't stopping looking at them. It would be so cool if you could just do enough to get it running and driving like it should while retaining the patina it's acquired over time.

Looking forward to seeing the next chapter in the story!

17. 31whitey

31whitey

I appreciate all the positive comments.

Hotrodsurfer....I get some pics of the car with some period boards, just for kicks.

60's hotrod...This one will remain completely together, thanks for the stoke man.

Froghawk...this presents a challenge, I feel up to it...

Just really want to say thanks for all the support and encouragement....This is a really special car...and deserves to be preserved and seen...I have some really cool ideas on how we are going to make this happen...so stay tuned....

18. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

It really is in great hands........ Whitey gets it.

So many survivors get uncovered and the new owner will update things..... "I just want to drive it" "I need to correct this" "I think this is unsafe" "I think it would be cool to change this becuse thats what would have been done" "Its my Car"

"I,I,I" "me me me" Its wrong...... Thes cars don't actually belong to anyone..... we are just the caretakers. To update them and change them is selfish. They really need to be preserved.

These cars need to remain pure.

Man I wish I could start a survivor museum. The good, the bad, the ugly, the AWESOME.
    These cars, and old magazines are all we have to see how things actually were. There are collections that represent the best of the day, but man these everyday Hot Rods are just as important to me.

There are still alot of hotrods to be found..... but are there really? There won't be in ten or twenty years....... we need to preserve this stuff NOW.

Most of the cars built today are so refined and the restorations are so over done, that something is lost. They aren't the same. They are almost fake.

Some of these recent finds should be cloned instead of restored..... like that Winfield truck..... It would be cool to build a new one exactly as it was built in the day and show it next to the unrestored origional...... Man, I would get a kick out of that wouldn't you?

Anyway, Thank you Whitey.

19. 31whitey

31whitey

Bob...Now thats what Im talking about...nicely put.

There are others that I SERIOUSLY worry about ...thats another story all together though...

I look at these cars as part of our AMERICAN HISTORY...

Same as a civil war buff would get pissed if you found, and fucked up a cart thats been sitting nicely, just to make a better cart out of it to use for your everyday chores...

These really do represent a part of AMERICA...to me its like a window that allows you to look back and see what young adults were doing to enjoy themselves, challenge themselves to go fast, or show off and score chicks ....and you get the parts that a cool ass dude picked out for HIS car to represent the time, an area, or his taste.

Someone said it above...they REALLY do have a VIBE.

Once there gone...there gone...there stories.

Bob...a survivor museum...Im down...

20. 31whitey

31whitey

Heres how the sedan sat for 40 plus years.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. 31whitey

31whitey

Alright...need a little parts id...

303 olds powered?
    toploader
    34 ford rear....cool bracing

Block...558709....looks to be a early 50,s 303?
    head pipes...GM555897?
    Stewart Warner speedo ,and red, yellow, green vaccum gague....but
    The others have no markings...early s.w.?
    Tac?
    steering column?
    gas pedal?

thanks for everyones advice and help so far!

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  22. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Dammm what a time capsule.....excuse me again I am going to pee on myself....aaahhhhhhoooooooooaaaahhhhhh!!!!! Thank you.

23. 31whitey

31whitey

hahaha...c'mon though....you know your onions royalshifter.

any clue as to the definite year of the block?

24. Big Tony

Big Tony

very kewl...congrats

25. 31modelo

31modelo

The more pics you post the more deeper in love I become. Great buy and glad to see that your no changing it in any way. Between the truck, this sedan, and that 32 project you can die a happy man. Good stuff

26. AHotRod

AHotRod

Holy-Cow !
    You have got to get it outside in the day light and snap some really good pictures for us. My head is spinning right now....I'm being jerked-back-in-time....I'm getting dizzy....how much will you charge me to take me for a ride in it?

27. Very cool car! I'm seeing lots of 33/34s with Olds power, that's so cool. I'm by no means an expert on early Olds engines, but I've not seen that casting you list (558709) for the 303s. I've seen 555... numbers for 303 and 568... for 324. I'm trying to educate myself here because I'm looking for a 324 for my '33 so anyone with insight to help clear this up would be appreciated (sounds like Whitey might have the same question based on his post no. 84)

28. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

thats just awesome!!!! i couldnt afford a yugo thats been stored since last tuesday, but im glad someone with taste like you had the coin to keep it going in the right direction!!!!!

29. newjersm3

newjersm3

Wow. This car is awsome glad to hear it is staying the way it was intended, Brian