Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1933 Continental Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by josh highley, Feb 24, 2013.

1. josh highley

josh highley

Finishing up the chop today. Pics coming soon.

2. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

3. barry2952

barry2952

Last post was over a month ago. Pictures?

4. josh highley

josh highley

I will have pics in the next day or two. I just started back on it today. I have been working on a couple non Hamb friendly cars.

5. Von MoPar

Von MoPar
    from Australia

Great Chop! looking forward to seeing more.

6. josh highley

josh highley

Chop is all finished up. I will be cleaning up the front of the frame next and then on to the channel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

damn fine job dude! its gonna make one badass unique hot rod

8. Man, that's a sweet looking body.
    Beautiful work on the chop!
    It just looks "right"

9. josh highley

josh highley

Well the channel is all finished and the car will be leaving my shop soon. Some cars you have you can't wait for them to leave and some you hate to see leave. I am really going to hate to see this one leave! Such a neat car. Another shop will be finishing the build as I was just contracted to do the metal work. The owner of the shop is a member here
    Tattoozzz . I will try to keep everyone updated on the car.

10. josh highley

josh highley

Well the channel is all finished and the car will be leaving my shop soon. Some cars you have you can't wait for them to leave and some you hate to see leave. I am really going to hate to see this one leave! Such a neat car. Another shop will be finishing the build as I was just contracted to do the metal work. The owner of the shop is a member here
    Tattoozzz . I will try to keep everyone updated on the car.

11. josh highley

josh highley

12. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Great thread

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. wldtrout

wldtrout
    from montana

I found this one here in Montana. I wasn't sure what it was. Is it something worth bringing home?

Attached Files:

14. barry2952

barry2952

If it were a coupe I would make it into a convertible. That's a 1933 Continental Beacon or Flyer. They both used the same body, just different length chassis for the 4 and 6-cylinder.

From my research they are extremely rare, but not terribly valuable. It was a $535 car.

A 4-door would look nice with a chopped top, too.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  15. Is the quarter window the same on both? If so why not cut the rear door section out and slide rear quarter window rear window and roof corners forward and make a coupe out of it. That is if you get it and chop it anyway.

<TABLE id=post8672214 class=tborder cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" width=175></TD><TD id=td_post_8672214 class=alt1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid"><!-- icon and title -->[​IMG] 1933 Continental Coupe
    <HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title -->
    <!-- message -->I got a really cool project in the shop and wanted to share it with everyone. The car is being built at another shop, but I was lucky enough to be contacted to do the metal work on it.

It is a 1933 Continental Coupe. (Not Lincoln) I do not know a lot about them, but I was told that is 1 of only 4 1933 Coupes in the world. Continental only built cars for two years(1933 & 34) Maybe someone on here will know a little more history on the car. Here are a couple shots of it the day it came into my place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

very cool. that dash is BEAUTIFUL!!!!

17. josh highley

josh highley

Thanks Shane! I wish I would have waited to submit the chop for the killer tech week going on right now!

18. HotRodHoon

HotRodHoon

The chop is perfect

19. I can't tell you much about the coupe in question but Continental at one time was its own company then became part of the Lincoln Division of the Ford Motor Company. Much like Imperial was once its own company then became attached to Chrysler.

They also manufactured the Continental motors that were used as Mules in many industrial applications.

Hmmmn, meant to say it is a pretty neat looking old coupe. I'll be it gets cunfused with Henry Steel a lot when it is finished and out and about.

20. The chop looks so much like the drawing on the sales catalog, it should have come that way from the factory and maybe there would be more left.

21. brady1929

brady1929

22. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Looking good, Josh!

23. SimonSez

SimonSez

Nah, there is no connection between Continental Motors company and Lincoln Continentals.

Continental Motors company still existed through to the mid sixties when it was bought out by Ryan Aeronautical.

As well as industrial motors, Continental also supplied the 6 cylinder motors for Checker cabs before they switched to Chevy's.

24. om: http://www.kitfoster.com/carport/200...n-continental/

February 16th, 2005
    Doin&#8217; the Continental

[​IMG]
    Wayne Graefen is a car journalist&#8217;s best friend. He travels widely, is always on the lookout for remarkable vehicles, and takes lots of pictures. This time he&#8217;s come up with the Continental drift.
    These days Continental is synonymous with Lincoln, but when this Continental was built no one at Ford Motor Company had contemplated such a model. This is a 1933 Continental Flyer, built by the Continental Automobile Company, a division of Continental Motors. Continental? Didn&#8217;t they build engines, not cars? Well, yes. Through the 1920s Continental was the chief supplier of engines to manufacturers of so-called &#8220;assembled cars,&#8221; those built from parts supplied by outside companies (&#8220;outsourcing&#8221; is nothing new).
    Continental&#8217;s Muskegon, Michigan, plant had been supplying engines for the DeVaux automobile, built in nearby Grand Rapids. But in 1932, when the DeVaux-Hall Motors Corporation failed, Continental took over its Michigan assets to settle unpaid bills for engines. Building the last few DeVauxs in the plant, Continental brought out their own car for 1933, in three models: an entry-level Beacon four-cylinder model, a Flyer (the type photographed by Wayne), and a top-of-the-line Ace. All cars, of course, used Continental&#8217;s famed Red Seal engines. 3,310 were built in 1933, and a further 953 Beacons were sold in 1934 before operations ceased. Continental Motors was acquired by Ryan Aeronautical Company (builder of Lindberg&#8217;s Spirit of St. Louis) in 1965, which in turn was purchased by Teledyne in 1969. Today Teledyne Continental Motors builds piston and turbine engines for light aircraft.
    Wayne snapped this Flyer coupe at a Veteran Motor Car Club of America meet at Fredericksburg, Texas, in July 2003. A bit down at the heels, it was solid and complete. It sold quickly.

[​IMG]

Check this HAMB thread out: Re: We ALL Love a DARE! PIX of TRULY Extinct Makes? Post #5745 on page 288

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  25. [​IMG]

Illustration of Continental Flyer coupe, left side

26. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Not only that but the info about Chrysler and Imperial is also incorrect. The Imperial name was used by Chrysler for their top-of-the-line model beginning in 1926. From 1955-1975 and then again from 1981-1983, Imperial was a seperate division within Chrysler Corp, much like the Continental Division for was a separate division within Ford Motor Co from 1956-1958.

Here's info on the Chrysler Corp Imperial name

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_(automobile)

There was an Imperial Automobile Co from 1908-1916, but they were never absorbed into Chrysler and were actually merged with Marion to form the Mutual Motors Co in 1915.

You can read about that Imperial here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Automobile_Company

27. josh highley

josh highley

Sorry the picture isn't better quality, but it's all I have for now. Zac sent me a picture of the initial mock-up. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

28. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

A comparison of before and after. It's a nicely done chop - not too much, and the proportions are very nice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. barry2952

barry2952

Josh, you are incredibly talented. I hope that someone that sees this thread will be able to locate a '33 Continental Business Coupe on either the Flyer or Beacon 101" or 107"wb for me to have you make it into a Roadster. While there are examples of the 2-door, 4-door and Business Coupes there aren't even any photographs of the Roadster, which likely was their most popular model at $355.00.

If I could find a Business Coupe I would surely hire you to do the metal work. To get the better half on board with this project I had a designer friend do a digital mock-up for me.

He started with a picture of my 4-door sedan Flyer and built me a new car.

[​IMG]

This was the finished product.

[​IMG]

30. ^^^ That needs to happen!