Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1933 chevy 5 window coupe.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by No car!!!!!!, Mar 11, 2010.

1. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

Thats what I was think about doing for a floor pan or I might just make my own it wont need much.

2. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

I have a chance to buy a lincolon Idealarc DC-250 Lincoln welder it does tig/mig/arc/ and stick for $600 should I jump on it or do like I was thinking and buy a deversion tig from miller for 1,284? can anyone give me some adivse or good welders to use?

3. SinisterSpeed

SinisterSpeed
    from Reno, NV

Even though this is a 3 window I think it will give you some ideas..asthetically 33-34 Chevy coupes look a little "squashed", especially when they are chopped. I grafted the lower 6" with 1936 coupe lower rockers and front and rear patch panels to give it a cool lower revel like how Ford did. I chopped this one 6" in the rear, 6 3/4 in the front and leaned the A pillars to meet the roof. I also welded in a Bobby Walden roof insert that I then louvered liberally. I love these cars, you just don't see any cool ones. Good luck man!
    [​IMG]

Window difference, notice the lean on the pillars..
    [​IMG]

1936 Ford rockers give it a better lower swoop..
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. heatnbeat

heatnbeat
    from Madera,Ca.

That chop looks great! I haven't been a fan of the lean back A pillar but I'm really starting to like it:) I chopped my 33-5 window 2-5/8" just enough to notice, not enough to make it uncomfortable.:cool: I didn't lean the A pillar back but it is only tacked together I just might take another look at it:rolleyes:

5. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

Just got a tig mig and stick welder so the top and floor should be done really soon and hopfully have the foor like bar brakets set right and welded in not to far away from rollin down the street.

6. Streetrodscoty

Streetrodscoty
    from Washington

Scott,

Very nice, I left my roof open, you know its a Hotrod who cares.
    Nice car, how is the wood in it?
    Here is my 34 5 Window Master.

7. Streetrodscoty

Streetrodscoty
    from Washington

Man, I can never figure this out!
    Frustrating, here are the pics

Attached Files:

8. Kreepea_1

Kreepea_1

Wow! The '36 panels makes that '34 cowl more proportionate to the body. I always thought the '34 cowl was too long and I've been planning to replace mine with cowl from my '33. After seeing what you've done i'm seriously considering a change in plans.

How did your rear window turnout with that amount chopped out of the top?

9. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

Wow thats a nice coupe looks good with the mustang 2 in the front. thumbs up.

My car has no wood left Im braceing it with square tubeing. Give it a little more weight my cars lite but once the bbc in it its gona be awsome. :D

10. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

Just priced a four link setup and will have it this weekend and once setup will be able to do our first testrun down the road.

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Perfect touches! Awesome!

[​IMG]

12. rokcrln

rokcrln

That sure does improve the over all look. Nice job!

Kevin
    LFD Inc.

13. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

Oka just got a good deal on a lincoln Ideal arc DC-250. It came with everything exept a bottle of mix argon so that I can run the mig and the tig. But I got the bottle now and time to go do some welding chop hear I come.

14. That looks perfect!

15. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

Got a 1955 chevy column that looks awsome and is the perfect length and look for my car awsome thing is it was free even got the original stearing wheel. Gona start mocking it up today so I can start building the floor.

16. Brahm

Brahm

Nice job man! I really dig how you treated the rear tires. I'm hoping to do something similar in my '29 buick sedan drag car! The "half" tub just looks great, and works well for those of us who can't run out bound tires (ie non-fords)

17. W:eek:W that is freakin awesome!!! love it...

18. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

Thanks not to bad for a 17 year old huh lol but ya its bad ass to me im working on makeing the roof a hardtop that can be removed if its nice to cruz without it.

19. 10secterror

10secterror

Well just starting my 33 five window. My plans are almost the same same as No6 has his car. But cut the roof of a 55 chev for the roof, see how that works to fill the roof.
    My main problem is to get the belt line on door to line up with the front and back of the car. Just keep adjusting the cowl up till it lines up, then put in the floor and brace and chop the top.
    URL=http://img823.imageshack.us/i/dscf1218g.jpg/][​IMG][/URL]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

20. ironhead68

ironhead68

Some of us THINK we're cool.

Attached Files:

21. krooser

krooser

If you guys find an extra 33/34 coupe body let me know... been trying to buy one but I'm always too late.

22. 10secterror

10secterror

What are 33/34 coupes going for now?

I have 2 door 33 Chev Sedan that sat in a barn for the last 40 years. Going to be my next project after this coupe.
    Almost hate to cut up the sedan its in mint shape, fenders are not even cracked. Do you know what they are going for now?

23. powdercoater46

powdercoater46

How do you convert these to one piece windows for the doors? It looks very complicated to me...

24. 8flat

8flat

I've contemplated that myself, it would be nice to see pics from someone that has done it. At least we have a decent channel around the upper part of the door, it should accept a window weatherstrip OK.

We would need to install a vertical channel (ie track) inside of the door itself to guide the front part of the window. I know that '73-87 chevy pickups used one that have a handy bracket built in, it should be able to be modified easily, although they are slightly curved to match the contour of those OEM windows...

The factory regulator, if you planned to use it, would probably have to be relocated forward to make it centered on the new window.

Any input from someone who has done this?

25. '33-'34 Chevrolets are beautiful cars- very graceful line! I'm looking for front and rear brakes for my speedster project if anyone isn't going to use theirs...

26. 8flat

8flat

I don't plan on using anything from my '33 5-window original front or rear suspension, what all do you need?

27. big bad john

big bad john

I would make my own.....Visit a juck yard and check out some hoods.......in the sixty cars....one hamber said use a 62 chevy hood....I think a lot of other models would work.......You will save a lot of money if you make it yourself. Good Luck:D

28. Backing plates and guts... rods/etc wouldn't hurt either. I'm planning on using them on my '28 spindles and rear axle- was told that it's pretty much a bolt on conversion and a great upgrade!

29. 8flat

8flat

I can do that.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  30. 8flat

8flat

Upgrade? You do realize these aren't juice brakes, right?

I don't think you'd want the tie rods, pretty tough shape. My great Uncle used to rod the hell out of this car in the early '40s, he said one time the tie rod end fell off and he ran right off the road, down a hill, and through a fence. My Grandma, his sister, hated the car, haha. She called it the shove it or leave it. I guess it used to break down, and sometimes leak exhaust into the cab. But my Great Uncle Jim loved it, and the family has a lot of cool stories about him raising hell in the car, so I'm pretty attached to it also.