Register now to get rid of these ads!

1933-35 chevy parallel leafs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LuckyBadAzzBoy, Aug 1, 2011.

1. I have a standard chevy, the previous owner cut off the original frame horns to install a ifs.
    i want to convert it back to parallel leafs

I was wondering if anyone can post up pictures of the front frame horns with the leaf mounts.
    I tried to look up photos online but its not ever a clear shot.

I dont know if the original leafs were mounted on the frame, or if the front had leaf spring brackets which was mounted to the frame
    and in some pictures the leaf mounts look like it was going past the front frame horns.

so any pictures to help get me a more vivid image of how it was originally set up i would appreciate
    thank you.

2. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Are you sure that was not a Knee Action front end.

3. Kreepea_1

Kreepea_1

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  4. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

knee action was only on the master...not standard, if i recall right.

5. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Here are a few pics, that were "borrowed" from here , and some other sites. Also a pic of a very cool looking 33 Chevy, that I plan to use as a pattern for my 34 Master.

Attached Files:

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Does this help?

Attached Files:

7. thanks for the help.
    i see how i can mount it on now.
    but for some reason, i still cant tell if that front spring hanger is a seperate mount from the frame or if its welded to the frame?
    any ideas?

and no, it wasnt an early chevy ifs....the previous owner welding a mustang II front suspension on.
    standard came with parallel leafs.

8. F&J

F&J

Don't recall the Chevy, but many car makes used a forged or cast steel mount at the front and was riveted.

It also was the bumper mount on most cars.

9. Kreepea_1

Kreepea_1

Check the frame section in this manual 1929-1941 Chevrolet Chassis & Body Parts . If it's seperate (welded and or riveted on) there should be a part number for it in this manual.

Part Number 7.103 "Hangar and Horn, Front Spring". Illustration on Page 170. Part Number and Year/Model applicability on Page 171.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  10. TomH

TomH

F&J is right. 33-35 Chevy had a cast mount that was riveted.

11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

These are rear springs hangers, front are similar and yes they all bolt (Rivet) to the frame. They are not interchangeable. I welded up shackle, usually has a protruding tapered end from memory. The circular part is parallel to ground and is what bumper irons bolt to.

Attached Files:

12. Here's a pic of the 34 front spring hangers (taken before I straightened the frame & after)

Attached Files: