Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1933 33 34 FORD, 392 HEMI - SOMEDAY CAR BUILD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 392HEMI4SPEED, Feb 8, 2009.

1. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

Enclosed is a photo of the "channel drop" panel that I discussed fabbing up. Thought I'd provide a photo of this before it was installed in the car. Because I still have this door tacked shut with tabs, I will insert it through the front window and then slide it down between the frame and rear quarter, then work it back (forward) into position, before welding it into place.

Don't mind the vintage aircraft seats I set in the car. They will be cut down significantly at some point.

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Like the way your doing the car,interestingly def being a Ply.
    Good work.

3. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

Man, life is flying by... At the point I'm so damn busy with life, wife, kids and business that I have not had a lot of time to work on my car. As much as I want to do it all myself, I think I'm at the point I'm going to have the guys at the shop where I work on my car, do some things for me so I can keep progressing with the build. It's my first rod build, so it's either they show me what to do or I just have them do some things for me. They are great guys, 20 years+ my age, so from a personal and memory of the transformation perspective, I'd love to have them help me work on the car.

OK, time for some questions before I request them to do some things for me.

Rear Axle

I will tell you what I know or what I was told. The axle in the car is a 1965 4.11 Posi with tapered tubes. The guy I bought the car from told me that it is not a true 9". He told me it is a 9.25" and came out of something HOT in the day. I could use this axle housing but I know I do not want to run 4.11 gears in it. My second option is a 1967 9" 3.25 Posi out of a 1967 Cougar 390 GT car that I parted out years ago. Somewhat rare axle from what I know (valuable to mustang/cougar/shelby guys). Heck, the 65' 4.11 is probably rare/valuable to to the right guy as well.

I have not looked at these axles in awile, but from what I recall, the 65' is all round with no hump, unlike the 67'. Anyways, from a rear end view of the car, I think I would rather see the 65 Axle under there more. Could change the gears in the 65. I'm thinking I'd like to run 3.25 to 3.5ish.

So, without photos, which axle would your run (regardless of gears)? All comments or ideas appreciated.

4. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Brian.Great build.Keep up the good work.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

5. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

Thanks Leo.

Well I talked about it before but today I decided for sure that I'm just going to hire the guys at the shop where I work on my car, to start completing the chassis work for me, instead of having them just walk by it everyday. So, I stopped in there today and we went over things. I have not worked on this car much over the last year. Time is the issue, I just don't seem to have any extra time lately between my business and family life. And to be realistic, it will go faster than having me ask them a 1000's ?'s about how to complete the work, since I have never done it myself. I also need to get this car done before the guys retire and close the shop. So, I'm surfing the HAMB now for look I'm after for certain things. I hope to get back into the shop sometime in December and then spend the winter on it again. Hopefully with their help, we can make a stronger push on completing the car.

I'd actually like to drive it SOMEDAY... :)

6. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Thank you for helping this car. The parts have great potential.

7. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

ford.jpg
    It's not running, lol, but almost rolling. Should be on four wheels by the end of next week. Thousands of things to do yet as we slowly mock things up and fabricate, but we are starting to make progress. Feels good to get back to work on her.

elgringo71 likes this.
  8. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

Decided to scrap the original aircraft seats for this project...I'm gonna run a bench seat....my visions have slowly changed as I have moved along with this project.

9. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

10. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

Gonna widen the rear a tad and narrow the front a tad...that's all I have for you at this point.

11. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

The car is looking good. For me projects start moving along faster after they are rolling, it looks more like your car and not just parts.

12. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Looks like a interesting build, Subscribed

13. Happy to see this one pop up. Five window, hemi, four speed. Always like how that rolls off the tongue. Great work.

elgringo71 likes this.
  14. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Awesome car and nice to see it coming together! Keep up the good work!

15. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

Very true...it was so nice to see it on wheels again after like 6 years...lol.

16. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

It has been another year so I thought I would provide an update.

My friend Bill, who owned the shop that my car has been in for years, died last Friday. He was a very skilled man and I'm so thankful to have met him and also thankful for everything that he taught me over the years. The 33' Ford Grille that I brought in for repair years ago, still is on the shelf not completed, but the car has come a long ways. I'm so glad he offered to have me bring the entire car in at that time.

At this point in time, I'm not sure if the guys around the shop, including myself, will be able to "keep the doors" open for a bit longer, if you will, or if the family will decide the clean it out and shut the doors for good. Time will tell.

Since it has been a year, I thought I would add a few photos of the progress. The build is still moving along slowly, but it is still moving thanks to the other guys in the shop, since my life still has left me little time to focus on it lately.

Most of the body work has been completed. Still have a few things here and there that will need attention, but the major work is done.

image7.JPG image4.JPG image11.jpg

The rear springs, shocks and axle are in place. Just have some misc. welding to be completed on the frame. A full custom stainless exhaust system, weaved through the frame, has also been completed. I will post photos of that at a later date.
    image12.jpg

My removable roll bar setup is almost complete as well. Just need to add hinges and a locking device to the side bars that will swing open like the doors.

image13.jpg image14.png

That's all for now.......

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

The shop has officially closed and yesterday I moved the last of my parts and supplies out of it. During the moving process, I determined that my crank was missing. Not sure where it went. All I can think of is my buddy Bill had his engine shop buddy check it out years ago and it never made it back to the shop. His buddy is also deceased now, so it is now impossible to determine what happened to it.

It's kind of ironic, but the first thing I ever brought to the shop was my 33' ford grille to have a bar repaired. Well, that never did get welded on over all those years. Unfortunately, I found it behind a rolling cart on the floor bent into a 90 degree angle when moving my stuff out. Ugh!!!!! Not sure how it ended up there, but that's what happens when your not always there. Should be able to fix it, thankfully.

Have also since determined that my block was not the best block to build a new motor with. So, I located a different block and crank locally and dropped the works off at my friends house to start building the motor. The car is in my garage now, but I don't have all the tools and equipment at home to finish it. So, I'm going to have Rob Paul near Green Bay wrap up the build. If all goes well, it will be done in the spring.

It has been a long, slow road (the build) but a very enjoyable learning and part hunting exprience. I met a lot of new, very nice people along the way because of it and have made many new friends. It has all been good.

I'll post some photos when complete.

Squablow and Max Gearhead like this.
  18. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

First coat of exterior primer, interior next. Now I just have to figure out what color to paint it. Leaning towards a light yellowish cream or darker aqua bluish green, something vintage. Others have suggested tan or even a battleship grey. If you have any colors that you think would look good, let me know. z3.JPG z2.JPG z1.JPG

kidcampbell71 and Blue One like this.
  19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Nice to see that you have stuck with it and it's turning out to be a quality build.
    Sorry to hear the passing of your friend and the loss of his friendship and support-shop for the build.
    I'm kind of partial to a dark blue, with Washington blue being a good choice for a car like yours.

20. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

I believe that may have been the original paint color since I found dark blue in some hard to reach areas of the car during disassembly.

21. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

IMG_0760.JPG Not much of an update but project still slowly moving along...

22. How's the engine coming along?

23. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

Good. It's just about ready for paint. My engine guy has been "polishing" the outside of the block and heads to give them a really nice smooth look after paint (left any important casting numbers, etc.)

Everyone involved is super busy this time of year, so progress will take off again in full swing this fall/winter.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

I decided that the car will be painted a dark green. For some reason it's the only color that I have found that I think I will still like for years to come.

25. Squablow

Squablow

Bodywork looks real nice. I like the dark green idea too, I'm not real fond of grey/tan, they sometimes end up looking like shiny primer. I don't know the paint code but the dark green on Sam Barris' 49 Mercury is really pretty and also period looking.

26. Squablow

Squablow

27. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

Squablow likes this.
  28. Squablow

Squablow

I like it, that's a pretty color.

29. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Great work. Like to see a channeled 33-34 Ford coupe.