Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1933-1936 Willys panel, delivery picks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by abone1930, Feb 6, 2013.

1. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We already know about the new project. Dave keeps me well informed on the progress on the delivery. We talk every couple of weeks. The truck went to a wonderful new home. They are very happy with it. At least now it will get some use. I think they will have it at Thompson in June.

2. I have a '36 panel stashed away, don't have any pics. Dave Hall in Wilmington has one also.

3. abone1930

abone1930

Is the Surf Cart yours? That car rocks :)
    Get a pick of the Willys and post it :)

4. ssaza25

ssaza25
    from arizona

Several different Willys panels from years pass. Will post a picture of a pile of 2-36 Willys panel found in the Arizona desert tomorrow.

Attached Files:

5. abone1930

abone1930

That's cool would luv to see a pile of panels:) did you drag them home and what was the story on them? What happen to the one on the trailer on the pick above?
    Keep the pictures coming :)

6. Weasel

Weasel

Story of my life - one of these days....:rolleyes: haven't seen or spoken with Peter in quite a while - not sure I have his number any more. That panel really needs to be revived.

Here are a few more photos of it from Hamber gassy - thanks jr - on another thread. Story goes that the Panel was bought new in 1936 by a guy in D.C. and he had a newspaper delivery business. It never traveled more than about three blocks from his home but racked up 10,000 miles between 1936 and 1942, when he joined and went off to WWII and never returned - MIA. His widow just kept the van in a garage until 1976 - still with a stack of undelivered 1942 newspapers in the back of it - when it was sold to the second owner who immediately pulled the body off the chassis intending to make a gasser out of it. The original chassis was sold and all that was left was the body which I bought from the second owner....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. ssaza25

ssaza25
    from arizona

This is what is left of 2 -36 Willys panels. One of them was cut off behind the front doors but the running boards and rear fenders were left intact, [note the roof line being different from the coupe or sedan]. The other one is in a lot of pieces found in northern Arizona. I have the cowl for this panel,not in the picture. Strange thing is that the panel is a 36 but in the pile of parts in the desert there was 2- 33 - 34 front fenders. Maybe wrecked and frame horns made to take the 33-34 fenders? The frame under this pile is front another model 77. Was not with the body parts.

Attached Files:

8. abone1930

abone1930

If started with worse :p You plan on putting something together out of it or you already sold it?

9. ssaza25

ssaza25
    from arizona

I already have another 36 panel project which is all there. Willys parts as you know are hard to come accross. When I do find them,I pick them up. I am not planning on putting this together as I am working to aquire a 39 Willys coupe.I still have the panels,Have not given it much thought about selling the panel parts.

Attached Files:

• same.jpg
      same.jpg
      File size:
      396.4 KB
      Views:
  10. Mine's not in a good spot for pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  11. Yes the panel was in Gasser Mag several years ago for sale and I did sell it. It went to Cal by way of Wa. for work.

12. abone1930

abone1930

Nice panel project.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

13. abone1930

abone1930

Keep the picks comming :)

The way I see it , looks like there isn't many panels left ?
    I am entertaining pulling the street rod frame out from under my panel building a new tube frame, or cut off all the old running gear and use the stock frame, what ya think?

14. Rustler

Rustler

Can't believe that no one has posted pics of Rick Lorenzen's '36 Pie Wagon from the GNRS. What a beauty.......

Attached Files:

15. 33HEMI

33HEMI

16. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

Jeff your panel would looking good with a new chasis made and slammed down like you have always done them.keep us posted on your progress man.

17. abone1930

abone1930

18. 33HEMI

33HEMI

No the car is not mine, about 6 years ago I was travelling from Philadelphia to kentucky, and spotted some old cars on the side of road
    in Zanesville Ohio. so we stopped to see what other cars he had, we met the owner and he was OK with showing us around as we were visiting from England, it turned out he had more than we could see in the fields and this is one of the cars he showed us, looking around it seemed to me that he was the kind of guy that didn't sell anything which was a same as he had some really cool stuff, always wanted to go back but never did will be in Ohio next year and my call in, but don't know if the car will still be there or if we will be welcome as the guy was Terry Thompson you my know the name from this
    http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...on+zanesville&SpellState=&fr2=sp-qrw-corr-top

19. abone1930

abone1930

Dude that's wild, so the guy Terry Thompson was showing you around ?
    Did you see all the animals too? He's the one with the Willys panel ?

20. 33HEMI

33HEMI

Yes he had lion's tiger's monkeys camels all very friendly, and boy did he have some toys. got the hole afternoon on video, he let one lion out and it was like a big soft dog with him.
    Paul.

21. abone1930

abone1930

Sad thing what happened there, I wonder where the Willys panel went , cool looking panel for sure

22. 33HEMI

33HEMI

I put the photos of the van on another site and got this back.
    Paul.
    This is still sitting on that farm in Ohio were this pic was taken I imagine..it was owned by Terry Thompson who is now known world wide for the exotic animal tragedy..it is rumored that his widow is going to have an auction spring/summer of 2013..there are a couple hundred cars and also a few Harleys,drag boats and airplains

23. bowler

bowler

heres the original "catch me if you can" 1972, and here is a 1934 willys woody wagon that i built and raced, it is in Sweden now!!!

Attached Files:

24. FORDFREAK05

FORDFREAK05

heres mine just brought home from denver trying to figure out whos body it is thought scotts rods emailed him with no reply....

trying to get the doors to line up with body lines. what a joke passenger side hangs down a inch in rear. .. drivers not as bad cut out the floor and rocker still no deal oh what fun..

and it has a 33 willys van title!! got that going for it. lol

but hey its mine..

tn (2).jpg

tn.jpg

WILLYS.jpg

2013-02-27_15-06-30_315.jpg

25. abone1930

abone1930

That would be cool to go too :)

26. abone1930

abone1930

Hey in this pick , does it look he is running n50's ?
    I didn't think you could pull the wheels on a pair of these or is it just the way the car is set up ?
    My kind Of Willys :)

Attached Files:

27. bowler

bowler

the rear tires were dunlop road race tires, wheels were original mag. 15x12 halibrand wheels, it had a 4 speed in it and with ladder bars, this pic was in hot rod mag august 1972 and on the back cover of the 1972 hot rod year book

28. bowler

bowler

i think it is a Sheffler body (not sure of spelling?)

29. abone1930

abone1930

Bump for thread, any more out there :)

30. willyscoupe

willyscoupe

Hey Doug, " Catch me if you can " is one of the most iconic Willys Panel Vans out there ! Always has been for me ! You're one of my heroes with that perfect build ! Here's my 36 Panel , I also as you know have a 35 Panel skeleton that I will shelf for a few yrs ( along with the 41 willys woody ) but one of them will be inspired by you and your Panel !
    Ya know what blows me away about these Panel Deliveries ? The extremely low production numbers and how many have survived ! 88 in 35 and about 370 in 36 ! Wow ! One day these should be big dollar rides ! Sure love em !

Attached Files: