Register now to get rid of these ads!

1933-1934 Dodge/Plymouth models help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cubed, Jan 26, 2008.

1. cubed

cubed
    from Canada

Where can I find info on models and wheelbases for 33-34 Dodge and Plymouth cars and pickups? I know there is like PC, PD, PE or something like that but how do you tell them apart and how are those models different? Thanks!

PS- I scoured internet but nothing....

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The 1933 Plymouths were available in 2 series. PC had a wheelbase of 106" at introduction but was increased to 107" very early in production. When the PD with a wheelbase of 112" was introduced the PC was discontinued. All had 6 cylinder engines, hydraulic brakes and a solid axle front suspension.

The 1934 Plymouths(except the PG business series with an I-beam axle) have independent front suspension. It was a one-year only deal. The series were PE with a 114" wheelbase, the PF (and PFXX, a slightly more deluxe model than PF) on a 108" wheelbase and the PG business series at 108" as well.
    The PE series had a unique front door window setup with wing vent windows which could be operated separately from the door windows or, when locked in, can be lowered with the window.

The Dodges use the wavy tubular front axles in 1933-34 and later. The Plymouths began using the tubular axles in 1935 and later.

3. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I can help some. The 33 Plymouth PC was a completely restyled new car with a 108 inch wheelbase and it did not sell well in spite of it's low price of $495 or so. At mid year the decision was made to place the car on a longer 112 inch wheelbase Dodge chassis.the front sheet metal was restyled and the car just looked better. In 1934 the PE model had a bigger engine and sold even better while setting some new sales records for the times.

4. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Here is my late 33 Plymouth PD hot rod which is just a stripped down stock car with a homemade cowl and roadster body. You can see the long wheelbase here. I no longer own this car.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      67.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      64.4 KB
      Views:

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

1933 Dodges were available in 3 series, all with wavy tubular front axles.
    Early production DP six-cylinder with a 111 1/4" wheelbase.
    DO in-line eight-cylinder with a 122" wheelbase. The last year for 8-cylinder Dodge cars until the Hemi V8 in the 50s.
    Late production DP six-cylinder with a 115" wheelbase.

1934 Dodges were available in 3 series, all with independent front suspensions, a one year only production.
    The Deluxe Six DR series with a wheelbase of 117".
    The Special Six DS series with a wheelbase of 121".
    The Standard DRXX series with a wheelbase of 117". This was the business economy series,a mid-year addition to the line with less chrome, fewer accessories available.

Contrary to most popular opinion, Plymouth and Dodge did not share chassis. In 1935 Dodge returned to the wavy tubular front axle dual spring suspension through the late 30s.

6. cubed

cubed
    from Canada

Okay, sounds good, now - what about pickups? I saw one advertised as a KC. Were there others?

7. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

33 Dodge pickups were HC series and 34-35 were KC series. All 3 years looked similar with minor changes and all 3 had suicide doors as well. Very nice looking trucks. Hard to find now.

8. signalsteve

signalsteve
    from NH

type in "Plymouth the first years" this should put you on Todd's site all about Plymouths....good hunting.