Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1932 windshield frames 3 window vs 5/sedan whats the difference??

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by revkev6, Apr 27, 2014.

1. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Hey guys, just got back from the FItchburg swap meet and thought I picked up a 32 closed car frame to fit my 5 window.... but it's different! the bottom of the frame has less radius than the 5 window. can anyone spell out the differences between the two so I can figure out what I have?? I will take a few pictures later as my battery is on the charger at the moment....

basically, the frame itself is a bit thinner than the 5 window I have.....and flatter around the cowl.

2. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

just did a google search and came up with this side by side pic... going by this shot I think I got a 3 window frame..... I will have to get some pics of my two frames side by side and ask the experts opinions. I don't have or know of any 3 windows around me to compare.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455063

3. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

took a couple measurements.... the frame is 3/4" thick vs 1" thick that my current 5 window frame is (it's rough) inside to inside of the center of the frame 10 1/8"

4. F&J

F&J

There are a few cars/truck frames that look the same as Ford from a distance, but are not the same.

It sounds non-Ford to me. pics would help, of the hinges etc

5. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Thanks Frank I took a couple pics. I don't see the side mounts for the slide out lock on the one I just picked up... how's your car coming btw! Still want to meet up with you!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

6. clem

clem

Ditto toF&Js reply

7. clem

clem

Frame only looks like a 5 window. Possibly a repop. Don't think that the one with glass is a 3 window. Don't think it is a ford either. If it doesn't fit right it may have been tweaked to fit a certain car, as they probably weren't a great fit to start with. remember that the original cars were built in 30 different factories so not every thing fits right.

8. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

OK just got off the phone with my uncle... He said the 3 window he owned back in 79 had a crank out windshield not the knobs that the 5 window has... seems like this makes it match up more towards a 3 window again as the lower center of the frame has two holes for the crank

9. Andy

Andy

32 3W's did not use a crank. They had the slides but different brackets than the other closed cars. The sides of the frames were curved where the others were straight. The 3w slide arms bolted on where the others were spot welded and bolted.

10. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

It looks like the Plymouth windshield I have. 3/4" wide, and in the center it measures 11 5/8 in height. On the inside mine also has the 4 rivets on each mitered corner, which is not like Fords.

11. The no glass frame looks a lot smaller at the points than the other. Like if you placed them cowl sides together ? How much smaller is it ? Also

12. The "cowl curve" seems more extreme than a 32 would have..compare? Tim

13. F&J

F&J

Kev, there is not much you can do with that frame, except ID it and resell.

It will be impossible to recurve the top bends tighter to fit your car.

I went another route with my ex-5w; I built some new upper W/S posts, and then modded/recurved a supposed 28 Dodge truck frame to fit.

Attached Files:

14. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Frank... I built my posts around 5 window frame. I have one which would work..Just thought I found one a lot nicer.

Everyone sure the 3 window isn't crank out??

15. 3 Window is NOT a crank out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Uncle is wrong .

16. No way is a 32 Ford 3 window a crank out....

17. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

When it didn't fit my car the first thing I thought was plymouth.... I measured the inside of the frame at the center and got 10 1/8" and if we add 1 1/2" we get 11 5/8.... sounds like it might be what I have....

what year and model is your plymouth??

18. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I believe it was 33-34. I found it on a empty 4dr shell that was converted to a pickup for fuel rationing.

19. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Did some googling and it looks like it may be 33-4 dodge/plymouth?? it's too bad it doesn't fit my car because it's pretty damn usable as is... I think the chrome will polish up good.

probably through it up on the classifieds

20. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Windshield frame looks to be 33/34 Ford closed car not 32 3w

21. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Dick, I did some checking on the plymouth and it matches the meassurements I've seen. the windshield frame I have is 3/4" wide.... is the 33-34 ford that width?? my 32 5 window is 1" wide.

22. I don't think it's a Dodge or Plymouth either. They had slides also. The corners at the bottom aren't pulled in enough. They should run straight up and down like the 5w frame.

23. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I can offer more dimensions of the frame I have, I know mine is from 33-34 plymouth.

24. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

it's fairly straight up and down... I'm about 90% convinced this is 33-34 dodge or plymouth.

here's a shot of a 34 plymouth with a crank out windshield, no slides.

[​IMG]

25. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I am 100% sure now, the hood sides laying in the rotting leaves were identical to those of this picture when I found my windshield frame.

26. DAM Big Deuce you should have picked up those hood sides as they are cool.