Register now to get rid of these ads!

1932 VIN, could it start with "A"?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODSWE, Aug 2, 2011.

1. HOTRODSWE

HOTRODSWE

Anyone knows if there is 1932 Ford VIN, that starts with A and then digits? I know of AB, but on this its only A followed by digits

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Well, to start the inquiry, what is the actual number after the letter? If it is a USA '32, a four cylinder number would be 5,000,000 and up, a V8 one could be anything from 1 to somewhere in the 200,000 range.
    If the number is very low, like in the low thousands, it is more likely to be a state assigned number than an early production V8, but this could be checked somewhat by looking at specific frame changes.
    In the USA, regulation of titling cars is a state matter, not national, so there is currently a LOT of variation and over the last 80 years a lot more!
    Generally, if a car has no original title with it and the state decides you really own it, they assign a number and put that on the car...this number is whatever the state uses, usually a fairly low number. It is more commonly put on a rveted plate than stamped in frame.
    A serial number can only be legally put on a car by a state authority or the original manufacturer.
    Other low number stuff...if frame is Canadian, they made the '32's in small number batches with a letter prefix...
    I think if British or German, serials would be from USA or Canadian sources as the V8's were not actually cast in Europe untillater.

3. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

I think the model B's started with AB and the V8's started with 18-

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Early B's only...
    But remember there remains a possibility this is a real number, as theire are plenty of oddities out there and it could even be a slightly fragmented Canadian number. Start is to see if digits are within a reasonable range to be of Ford origin or whether number has to be of nonford origin.

5. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

I happen to have this chart on Canadian Vins.

Attached Files:

6. mj40's

mj40's

A, I though all Canadians started with an A!

7. HOTRODSWE

HOTRODSWE

The number has one letter and 7 digits: A16xxxxx

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

1,600,000 range would be too low to be a B number and too high for a '32 V8 number. Where is this...on your frame or on transmission??
    Not only the A but the number itself looks odd...the number seems more and more wrong for Ford origin, and too high to be like most of the state assigned numbers I have seen.
    A picture would be very useful as Ford used special shapes for some of the numbers... for privacy, just tape over a few digits but be sure to show first several

9. Bruce is right with his question. Where is the number? A possible answer, depending upon where the number is located, is that someone replaced the engine with a Model A engine (a bad idea but with a little work it can be done) with that number and the DMV ended up using it (if it is on the paperwork).

Charlie Stephens

10. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

Correct, mine is a model B and VIN is AB

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Only early B's were stamped AB, later were B only, number sequence did not change.
    Early truck B's were AAB.

12. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

Really? Great info

13. milner3268

milner3268
    from buffalo NY

i just inspected my 32 it has the orig frame and was off the road since 1954 i have the orig paperwork from 1954 but i cant recall any letters before the numbers ill check tonight and ill let you guys my info if that might help

14. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

My `32 V-8 is 18xxxxx. No prefix.

15. 32Gnu

32Gnu

My frame is *AB50##435* originally a 4 banger...

No chance the number after the A is actually a letter? Mine were so hard to read.. It wasnt until after I blasted the frame that I could verify the number on the other two frame stampings, however they only had the number.. The AB prefix was not there..

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Prefixes (AB, B, or 18) should always be on trans/bellhousing, the original number. The frame number was copied from powerplant at assembly time, and frequently lacks prefix.
    The numbers for the 2 engine series in 1932 (and also for the several engine groups used 1933-48) are different enough that there was no chance of confusion between the engine number groups.

17. Jay Yuskaitis

Jay Yuskaitis

I think, I think, I think! WOW. Jay Y.

18. The prefix for the V8 is "18".

Charlie Stephens

19. Dave50

Dave50

Would a vin starting with *19XXXXX be a V8 is I have just got a 32 frame with the star and numbers 19

20. No, that's Eh,,:D,,sorry guys I couldn't resist it. HRP

21. I have never heard of a number starting with 19. If you are looking at the numbers that were under the body they were stamped without a prefix but the number you show is too high for a '32 V8 and too low for a '32 four cylinder. Are you sure it is a '32 frame and where are the numbers located? Note '32 frames had "K" members for center crossmembers and the later ones had "X" center crossmembers.

Charlie Stephens

22. Dave50

Dave50

Its a 32 Frame and this number is the 2nd one back of the three the 1st number has the star and and the 1 missing and i can barely read the 9 and thats after i seen the 2nd set of numbers down the frame. Hope this helps you thanks for your reply charlie

23. What does the third number say and do the numbers look like they were stamped by Ford (size, shape)?

Charlie Stephens

24. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I think your barely readable 9 has to be a badly stamped 8.

25. Dave50

Dave50

The Numbers under the front of the firewall are where i can barely make out the 9 it is a 9 though after seeing the the 2nd set of numbers are definetly readable and the star is there with a *198XXX* It is a ford stamp from what i have seen and the other i have. It could be a badly stamped 8 i guess but it dont look it to me.

26. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Does the rest of the number fit into the '32 sequence, which would be from just "1" (the Ford museum has that one) to very low 200,000 area?
    The 9 has to be an assembly plant screwup if it is real, as no engines had a 9 in their prefix designation until 1939.
    The way it worked was that prefix indicated engine family, the 18 designating the 221 was used through 1942 in civilian production, and the number following it was just the sequential number of the engine production at the Rouge plant. The 18 series cumulated at least through '42 with the same series of numbers.

27. Dave50

Dave50

yes imo from what ik, Not counting the 18 right ?? The number would be 8,XXX*

28. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

So an 8,000 range deuce...that would be pretty early. Details of all the changes in deuce frames are in the resto book from V8 club...I think you would likely have a single-thickness frame at rear kickup, with no doubling plate on the inside covering kickup and rear crossmember area.

29. Dave50

Dave50

Its double plated there