Register now to get rid of these ads!

1932 truck body for 9 1/2 grand? WTF?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Sep 21, 2004.

1. here's a clue on starting an auction: start it low and keep the crowd around.

2. 00 MACK

00 MACK

i guess he paid too much for the 3 window body and needs some money [​IMG]

3. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

I don't belive it, three days left and no bids...

4. Muttley

Muttley

He really needs to stop.

[​IMG]

5. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

couple of years ago rapid motion in rapid city had a 32 truck i think it went for a few thousand done and mint , ibought modelt pickup restored and mint for 4500 [​IMG]

6. ok, I'm glad it aint just me. the prices have gone up but not that much!

the firewall is close to what it's worth but the rest of that shit..... what?

7. In five years we'll be saying how cheap it is...
    Sam.

8. actually, come to think of it, I think I know this dude. he was at my last party and drank too much. this is how we left him.

Attached Files:

9. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

Saw that...Hey, it is a three window, sorta

I'm glad he's not selling a 3W, it would be 200 grand.

10. manyolcars

manyolcars

Theres another guy on ebay who wants a starting bid of $599 for a pair of 1935-37 Ford pickup running boards!!! He admits to a "Couple small cracks where the front fenders bolt on that should be welded up. Each board has some pits where the leaves or whatever sat between the cab and the boards. May not even be noticable when on the truck. Lower outer flanges need some straightening yet" How odd that no one is bidding! [​IMG]

11. Muttley

Muttley

Did you guys see the "rare" Eelco pedal that was on E-bay for the last week? The guys opening bid was only $400 bucks! I wonder why noone bid? [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. I'm simply dumbfounded.

13. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

seems he thinks a 32 pickup is in the same price range as the rest 32's

14. his 3 window body is sweet!!i just picked up a nice chopped pick up chopped and shortened bed really nice much cheaper guess i am lucky

15. now I want to cry,if this is how these parts are going to be priced,I´ll guess I´ll have to ride around whithout hood,bed,grille etc.... [​IMG]
    I got my body on ebay,and it was rough,but it was mine for less then 500$

16. tred

tred

now i'm not the most wordly fella, but i think we are in and witnessing the next big 'inflation' in old cars and old car parts. now realize, i'm not taking sides with this guy, no way should a '32 truck bring '32 coupe money, but this is where it all starts. he asks more than it's worth, and gets close to what he's asking, (e-bay may not be the best place to ask that kind of money) and others structure their pricing based on his successful sale price. i've been saying (and it's obvious) that all these motorcycle and tv shows about 'rods' are making more people want to 'belong' and they are seeking out cars and parts, this demand of course drives up prices. think about it, not two years ago, my '51 chevy two door was a two thousand dollar car, now you see 'em on e-bay for four to five grand (and more) and they are moving. again, i think this is waaaay too much for this truck, but this is where it all starts... [​IMG]

tred.

17. lilbill

lilbill
    from arkansas

[ QUOTE ]
    now i'm not the most wordly fella, but i think we are in and witnessing the next big 'inflation' in old cars and old car parts. now realize, i'm not taking sides with this guy, no way should a '32 truck bring '32 coupe money, but this is where it all starts. he asks more than it's worth, and gets close to what he's asking, (e-bay may not be the best place to ask that kind of money) and others structure their pricing based on his successful sale price. i've been saying (and it's obvious) that all these motorcycle and tv shows about 'rods' are making more people want to 'belong' and they are seeking out cars and parts, this demand of course drives up prices. think about it, not two years ago, my '51 chevy two door was a two thousand dollar car, now you see 'em on e-bay for four to five grand (and more) and they are moving. again, i think this is waaaay too much for this truck, but this is where it all starts... [​IMG]

tred.

[/ QUOTE ]

i bought many a harley for $50 before they became a fashion statement. [​IMG]

18. Gooch saying a 32 is not worth what the owner wants??? I better check outside. It must be snowing!! [​IMG]

Just givin you a hard time Gooch.
    Clark

19. he emailed me back: I already like him.

Thanks for the heads up. I get the Jalopy Journal, but I'm not a HAMBr. I stopped reading it when I realized it's just abunch of guys with no money whining and belittling guys that do. Do me a favor and tell these guys that I got the cab for $800 + $300 shipping, the bed for $800 + $200 shipping, the firewall for $500, the hood for $550, the grille and insert for $550. That's a total of $3700. All the parts were in very good condition. That is the going rate for parts that aren't junk. Add $2000 in parts to replace all the bad pieces and buy all the little stuff that was missing and you're up to $5700. Add 270 hours labor at the Rod Shop at $30 per hour which is $8100 and you're up to $13,800. Sure it would be cheaper if I did it myself, but I don't have the time or the talent. I used to be poor, and did everything myself 'cause I had to. Now that I'm not poor, I pay to have it done. Doesn't make me any less of a rodder. Let 'em whine 'cause I've got 3 offers to stop the auctions already. There are others like me who don't have the time or talent and are willing to pay to play. Thanks. Larry.

20. [ QUOTE ]
    he emailed me back: I already like him.

it's just abunch of guys with no money whining and belittling guys that do.[ QUOTE ]

But Gooch- weren't you the first whiner for posting this? YES! We all know that Deuce parts on Ebay aren't cheap- we went through this with other people posting every '32 auction before you got your 3-Window. I could piss and moan about being able to pick through stacks of grille shells and firewalls for $100 each in 1990 but what does it prove? I can't afford a Deuce again right now- but there are still deals out there- THEY JUST ARE NOT ON EBAY. My day bought the SWEETEST '32 3-Window last year- a PERFECT 1970 Resto/Street Rod. All the original pieces are perfect, 34 year old paint and interior and a 327/400TH/9-inch driveline. It had been sitting in a garage for 30 years. He waxed it up, changed a few little parts and has been offered $70K for it (and it's NOT for sale- that's just what people have offered). He's happy because he loves the car and paid $26,000 for it.

But better than that I heard about a car that was found in Orange County a few weeks ago. '32 3-window, flathead, dropped axle, full fendered- nice car only missing piece was the hood. A guy came into a hot rod shop and says I got this old car to sell- I want $4,000- BEFORE it even got back to the shop it was sold for $30K- and sold again before the end of the week for $38K. And this car needs EVERYTHING.

So it just makes what you are building all the better investment, but to me it's not about money as much as I love these cars.

21. ray

ray
    from colorado

[ QUOTE ]
    he emailed me back: I already like him.

Thanks for the heads up. I get the Jalopy Journal, but I'm not a HAMBr. I stopped reading it when I realized it's just abunch of guys with no money whining and belittling guys that do. Do me a favor and tell these guys that I got the cab for $800 + $300 shipping, the bed for $800 + $200 shipping, the firewall for $500, the hood for $550, the grille and insert for $550. That's a total of $3700. All the parts were in very good condition. That is the going rate for parts that aren't junk. Add $2000 in parts to replace all the bad pieces and buy all the little stuff that was missing and you're up to $5700. Add 270 hours labor at the Rod Shop at $30 per hour which is $8100 and you're up to $13,800. Sure it would be cheaper if I did it myself, but I don't have the time or the talent. I used to be poor, and did everything myself 'cause I had to. Now that I'm not poor, I pay to have it done. Doesn't make me any less of a rodder. Let 'em whine 'cause I've got 3 offers to stop the auctions already. There are others like me who don't have the time or talent and are willing to pay to play. Thanks. Larry.

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty much sums it up. asshole who thinks everything is money, and he thinks you always get out what you put into a project, that don't work pal when you hire out all the work! hambers, with or without money, are the guys getting dirty, not writing checks. although i DO give him credit if he has a shop doing good work for 30 an hour. the shop's having the last laugh though, 270 hours of labor on what was supposed to be excellent parts, and it still isn't ready for paint, or even any modifications done?

22. jim, where did the second quote come from? how do you guys do that? I only know how to cut and paste and use cap locks.

anyway, I think his reply to me sending him a link to this thread is cool. I obviously think the high prices are stupid but because I own a few of them myself I have to defend the price gougers too [​IMG]
    It's a delicate balance

I look at myself as an advocate for the out of touch rich guys and the grease monkeys. Always looking for ways to unite rather than devide. [​IMG]

I'm not that hard to figure out. but lets face it, 32 trucks aint worth ten grand. If you read his email to me it's all the same shit I posted when Rudy started building my 32. That's the beautiful irony. He is a total idiot just like me!

although I am building another 34 because I'm bored. Having cars built really kinda sucks.

23. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

I gave away 4 of those cabs last year...

24. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I realized it's just abunch of guys with no money whining and belittling guys that do.

Sure it would be cheaper if I did it myself, but I don't have the time or the talent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he's just a guy with no talent trying to belittle the people who do? I kind of have to feel sorry for the guy if he doesn't see what really goes on here. Whatever. Hope he sells it for twenty grand.

25. Sorry Gooch, that second statement is mine- I screwed up the quotes. But it's no different than my dad's neighbor that has $20 grand invested in restoring a '38 Plymouth four door that's worth 6k tops. Labor is EXPENSIVE. I believe that guy has EVERY penny into it that he says he does, so it's not at all a bad deal if you want a cherry '32 Pickup and have ZERO skills. These cars will NEVER be cheap again- Deusenbergs were $25 in the fifties and NOBODY wanted them.

So for now the "Cheap Deuce" line forms right next to the "Free Beach Property" line and the "Guilt Free Meaningless Hot Sex" line [​IMG]

26. haring

haring

[ QUOTE ]
    Add 270 hours labor at the Rod Shop at $30 per hour which is $8100 and you're up to $13,800. Sure it would be cheaper if I did it myself, but I don't have the time or the talent.

[/ QUOTE ]

His greatest mistake was farming out the work for a total of 270 hours of labor. That's his own decision, and to expect to recoup the expense is offensive to me.

Sad thing is, he'll probably get it. [​IMG]

Everything is escalating in price. Get your parts now, boys. We're being priced out.

27. Muttley

Muttley

[ QUOTE ]
    He emailed me back: I already like him.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That figures.

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for the heads up. I get the Jalopy Journal, but I'm not a HAMBr. I stopped reading it when I realized it's just abunch of guys with no money whining and belittling guys that do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most likely he drives something that looks like this:
    [​IMG]

[ QUOTE ]
    I got the cab for $800 + $300 shipping, the bed for $800 + $200 shipping, the firewall for $500, the hood for $550, the grille and insert for $550. That's a total of $3700. All the parts were in very good condition.

[/ QUOTE ]

He payed way to much.

[ QUOTE ]
    That is the going rate for parts that aren't junk.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ones mans junk is another mans treasure.

[ QUOTE ]
    I used to be poor, and did everything myself 'cause I had to. Now that I'm not poor, I pay to have it done. Doesn't make me any less of a rodder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it kind of does. I have much more respect for poeple who build rather then buy their car.

[ QUOTE ]
    Let 'em whine 'cause I've got 3 offers to stop the auctions already.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are alot of people out there with more money than brains.

[ QUOTE ]
    There are others like me who don't have the time or talent and are willing to pay to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are the same guys who "invested" muscle cars 15 years ago and have cry baby dolls at the Nats.

28. You know I don't know why you guys always are busting the gooch's ass. When he talks about prices of this and that. It is true prices are going trough the roof on 32 shit .In some parts of the country parts are cheaper in others high dollar it's only worth what some asshole will pay for it .Or how long you want to hold on to it till you get the money you are asking.So some guys build there cars some guys don't every guy does what he thinks is right fror him time ' money or talent wise.Just to bust some stones 1982-32 5 window coupe body 356 dollars with a frame and axle.1930 chevy roadster body 500 bucks .Same cars today you know the story big bucks.And gooch I didn't see any thing wrong with you last car. [​IMG]