Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1932 Studebaker gas gauge

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Archie31, Jul 27, 2014.

1. image.jpg Hi fellow HAMBers, I am using a 1932 Studebaker gauge panel and having a problem with hooking up the gas gauge. I am running 6v on my roadster and I am using a universal 6v/12v gas sending unit for a Ford in a 32 Ford gas tank. I grounded the the black wire to the frame and the power wire to one end of the gas gauge terminal and the other gas gauge terminal I connected the wire to the ignition. When I turn the ignition on the gauge marks full and the gas tank is a 1/4 full. I already took the out of sending unit out to see if it was stuck and it was not. Is there something I am missing, has anyone ran into this problem with a 32 Studebaker gauge panel with there gas gauge? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

2. Sounds like the Gauge and Sender are not compatable. I opened this thread being I'm a 32 Studebaker owner but my car is not stock and wasn't when I bought it. I do know Ford was positive ground. I do not know if Studebaker was also or not. If not that alone could be the issue. Could be the amount of Ohms is different between Ford and Studebaker. A little time on Google search should answer both those questions.
    The Wizzard

3. 5brown1

5brown1

The Stude was a positive ground. There is a recent thread on the Studebaker section of the AACA forum dealing with this issue and as far as I know no solution. No one seems to know the correct ohms. I have a 41 chevy (0-30 ohms IIRC) sender in a 37 stude (12 volt neg. ground) but it reads backwards. Can you find a Ford compatible gauge that will match the others?

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

There was an excellent tech post about a month ago on how to set up a gauge with battery and simple rheostat to test it and figure out ohms needed to make it function. I'm having trouble searching it out right now...does anyone have a link?

(Also...is the maker known? Most are resistance based, King-Seeley as used on Fords is entirely different!)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014