Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1932 Roadster rubber questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wildwest, Mar 30, 2021.

1. wildwest

wildwest

Hello, I'm to the re-assembly after paint stage on my Brookville highboy project, and I'm wanting some opinions and know-how from people who have been through assembling one before ....

-Windshield frame-to-cowl rubber gasket, How do I get it in the channel? soapy water & patience ? windex and force?

-Cowl vent gasket, I need to get one, who makes a good one? are they self adhesive or do I need to glue it in? if so, with what?

-Cowl vent screen, yes, no, and which one is good?

-Door bumpers: just jam them in with a screwdriver? it seems the holes aren't exactly the same shape as the bumpers, should I try to trim the painted hole in the body, or trim the rubbers?

-Its a trunk car, do I need to run the round rubber bumpers on the top corners of the trunk opening frame where a rumble lid would rest if it had one, or just leave them out?

And finally. what are the big cut outs in the b pillar door jam that are between the rubber bumper cut outs, and lower than the stock-style door latches?

2. dwollam

dwollam

Hey Austin! Looks like I need to get by your new place and check out the roadster!

I'm still gathering parts for my '32 Fordor. Been thrashing on the '33 Plymouth Hemi Coupe to get it done before Bonneville.

Dave

3. wildwest

wildwest

Hi Dave ! stop by anytime !

4. alchemy

alchemy

Never done a roadster, but on the closed car windshield rubber I tilted it and put in one edge of the T strip, then poked the other edge with a smoothed off screwdriver or popsicle stick.

Cowl vent gaskets all seem to be too tall. All brands I've seen will need to be sanded thinner to keep from jamming the lid upward too much. Glue them in with black windshield urethane after confirming a good fit..

Vent screen for a 32? Never seen one. Sounds kinda goofy on a roadster.

Door bumpers might need to be sanded thinner to fine tune the door surface alignment. I just pop them in one tab first, then the other with a screwdriver.

No need for a rubber bumper up near the trunk hinge. Only needed at the bottom.

For the unknown cutout, are you talking about the place the dovetail goes?

X38 and dana barlow like this.

5. The door bumpers need lots of belt sander work. I ordered 4. Took 3 to get it done. The dove tails require some work also. I put four rubbers in the trunk area since they have four holes back there.
    Then you will have to fab a couple of hard nylon are plastic shims about a third of the way up from the bottom of the trunk to keep it from rattling side to side. Tried to shim the top hinge to do this but couldn’t get it to work for me. The cowl vent seal vent is too thick. Not figured a way to thin it it yet. Didn’t use a screen.

6. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Here in Missouri, there are too many bumble and honey bees coming through that cowl vent into your lap so I like a vent screen from Early Ford parts, the spot welds weren't the best but it keeps the bugs out.

7. wildwest

wildwest

Yea, wasps and yellowjackets in the cowl vent at speed was my concern with the screen question. Seems like they go up over the car in the slip stream, but when they get sucked in the cowl vent they end up dazed and pissed and on your lap !! I have had them come in the side cowl vents of a friends old FJ40 landcruiser and end up at your feet and angry in shorts season.....