Register now to get rid of these ads!

1932 Roadster Frame without reveal?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lucky Mike, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Lucky Mike

Lucky Mike

Here are some pictures of the inside of the frame rails. There is no evidence of any modification work.

Attached Files:

2. Lucky Mike

Lucky Mike

3. Are there VIN numbers stamped in the frame?

4. Lucky Mike

Lucky Mike

CTFuzz. Yes there are. It also has all of the proper rivets. Everything is right, just no reveal. I have a local friend who is a Hot Rod builder for 40 years. He went over it with a fine tooth comb, confirmed everything is right and original. He had never seen one without the reveal. He and I have been trying to figure it out since.

5. swbatt

swbatt

Apparently not, must be "dick measurers code" and we can't play.

To quote Hillary "What difference does it really make?".

6. Lucky Mike

Lucky Mike

Hillarious swbatt. :)

7. No,only seen the truck cowl hearse,,HRP

[​IMG]

8. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Were they Ford numbers, or just some DOT numbers? B-xxxxxx, or *18-xxxxx ? Wonder if its stamped in all three spots on the drivers frame.

9. Lucky Mike

Lucky Mike

Any other thoughts?

10. alchemy

alchemy

The "early production" no-reveal thing is an interesting theory I've never heard of before. I own a V8 chassis with a serial number of 18-5XXX that David Rehor, the guy who wrote the book on '32 Fords, said was an April 25th production car. Somewhere else I've read actual '32 production didn't begin until March. So, my chassis is a month and a half into production. It has a reveal.

My Dad owns an early production tudor with a chassis in the 50,xxx count of B production. It too has a reveal.

We should ask DavidG on the Fordbarn what he thinks of this. I'll send him a link.

11. Lucky Mike

Lucky Mike

Thank you Alchemy!

12. Lucky Mike

Lucky Mike

My Hot Rod friend who I mentioned earlier confirmed that this is NOT a LoBeck frame. So that potential solution is out.

13. alchemy

alchemy

Here's the word from the guy who knows the most about 1932 Fords in the whole world:

"Ford did not use the word "truck" in conjunction with "pickup" for its 1932 models. The word "truck" was reserved for use with the 131 1/2" and 157" chassis. The pickup was a commercial vehicle, along with the station wagon and panel delivery (and eventually the sedan delivery) which used the same 106" wheelbase chassis as the passenger cars with the only difference being in the number of leaves in the rear spring.

In the thread in question, Bruce Lancaster has tried to explain that.

As for the frame in question, as Ford did not produce any 106" wheelbase chassis frames without the reveals in the side rails, this frame is reproduction, at least to the extent of its side rails.

David"

So, we know it's not a Ford product, we just need to know where else it may have come from. I don't know what all the early repro guys were putting out, but I can't imagine why they would go to all the work to create a die to stamp the rails, and not put the reveal in the same die.

14. Lucky Mike

Lucky Mike

Thank you Alchemy.

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

All pickups are trucks, not all trucks are pickups. :p:p:p

Northern? The Yankee's do not accept Iowa as a northern state. :D:D:D

16. chrisp

chrisp

17. alchemy

alchemy

Chrisp, I think that frame in your pics is close, but no '32 cigar. Kinda looks like a '32 but the kick is way more than stock. The rails look straighter under the body as well. Doesn't look like a regular '32 floor would bolt to it without a kick in the back.

18. Lucky Mike

Lucky Mike

Alchemy, what are you refering to when you say "kick is way more than stock"?

19. alchemy

alchemy

The rear half of the Allard frame has a kick up over the rear axle that rises higher than a normal '32 Ford frame. If your body doesn't have a raised floor in the back, it can't fit over an Allard frame.

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'm not entirely sure that back when Deuce Factory was still stamping rails, at the tail end of that deal you couldn't order a pair with out the reveals...

21. Lucky Mike

Lucky Mike

Very interesting louverguyquinn! Thank you. While there are many opinions on this forum, I have had to 70+ year old hot rods builders look the frame over (on and off a rack) and state repeatedly "this is a 32 frame in every way and correct".

Alchemy or anyone else that could recomend an recognized expert in the area, I would gladly cover their expenses to come to Denver to check out my car and help me solve this mystery.

22. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

This.

23. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I have owned several sets of original deuce rails without the reveal. Lil John beat the reveal out using a torch and a garden hose. When he finished you could not tell there was ever a reveal. In the early 80's CSR, Chuck Lombardo, did the same thing for his roadster and metal finished the inside rail. It was a common practice to do this in the late 70's and 80's when smooth was in. I did my own but you could tell where I shrank the reveal but I boxed them and no one knew.

24. Lucky Mike

Lucky Mike

Pewsplace. Very interesting. Thank you.

25. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

A torch and a garden hose? Would love to hear more about that technique.

26. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

OK...grinder/wire wheel time??!? There should be lots of visible hot spots with paint offa there, I would think. Another area to examine is the little dip/divot in the framerail right ahead of the firewall for the cowl adjuster/tensioner... that shoul be there or show evidence of a lot of work. I think it has sharper downturn than reveals.
    Stripping the area should also show at least some evidence of a serial number.

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

That's what I touched on in an earlier post. There was a picture in either Hot Rod or maybe Rod Action of him doing just that.

28. metal man

metal man

Bruce, you can clearly see the cowl divot in one of Mikes pictures.

29. metal man

metal man

Do you remember the time frame of this?

30. Lucky Mike

Lucky Mike

Metal man, I had the exact same question.