Register now to get rid of these ads!

1932 Roadster Frame without reveal?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lucky Mike, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Steves31

Steves31
    from Minnesota

The first month of production didn't have the frame reveal. They added it the second month because of too much flex.

2. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Is that Dick M. Contest? ;):D

3. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

sooooooo funny! lol.

4. Lucky Mike

Lucky Mike

First thing I want to say to Porknbeaner is I don't have a bogus title. I have a VIN verification with the title. Colorado is very tough on title and VIN verification.

I want to find out more information on this frame.

To answer a few questions that were posted. The rails are stamped, one piece, no welding or otherwise fastening together in any way.

I would love to hear more from Steves31 who says the first month of Ford production on the frames did not include a reveal.

Alcemy and others - attached are many close up pictures. If you would like me to go get and post more, please let me know with specifics on what you would like to see. I am happy to accomidate.

Titus - what rivets should I look for?

Those who posted about "Just a Hobby" rails, are there any distinguishing marking or details I could look for?

MetalMan, I would love to hear more from you re. your post and I am not sure where "inside the front frame horn is":

I worked there, and was a close friend to both Dave Gale (founder) and Barry, who was Dave's biggest client, and purchased Just A Hobby from Dave in 1988.

I can't believe both of those guys are gone :(

We did build an occasional frame with no reveal,upon customer's request. Remember, in the 80's the trend chasers wanted everything smooth and without character. Most of our Deuce frames did have the reveal. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

On the truck vs. pickup. 32 pickups typically have the reveal. Trucks do not, but a truck frame would not accomidate the Roadster body.

Hotrobprimer - LoBeck. Are there features or marking I can look for to determine if it is a LoBeck?

OHVDeluxe - I have heard this as well. I just wish I knew how to tell.

Let's the discussions, dick measuring and pissing contest again commence! :)

Lucky Mike

5. Lucky Mike

Lucky Mike

Pics

Attached Files:

6. Lucky Mike

Lucky Mike

7. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

Why some one would build it without is because they want a smooth frame for their fender less car. Not probably what goes on in these circles ,but ppl do it .now I think he may have the early frame,I read in a book about Henry ford and his cars that all kinds of things like this happened.first juice braked car built was secretly done because he despised hydraulic brakes.the reveal is to accent the fenders ,other than trying to be traditional really doesn't make sense to have it.but it looks good.

8. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Good looking build, based on the pix. But what's with those shock dog bones? What are they?

9. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Boy you said a mouth full there! :rolleyes:

10. 117harv

117harv

They are model A I have a few.

11. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Interesting; so it was a functional feature and not just purely about aesthetics? Hmmm...

12. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Looks like a another HAMBitch with a side of drama!

13. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Interesting. Thanks again, Harv!

14. Funny man,,Dick Bales is the the guy I was referring to. HRP

15. so, we fought, we made up, we dicussed, we defined and we nancy graced each other. all to figure out for a fact some thing we already knew, awsome.

16. chrisp

chrisp

Allard used 32 Ford frames under their cars except they had no reveal...

17. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Allard made their own frames I believe. I seem to remember seeing photos. Here in the UK people used to hammer the reveal out of 32 frames back in the eighties.

David

18. Lucky Mike

Lucky Mike

Wow, thank you Slinginrods! Any idea what book you read about this in?

19. topperguy

topperguy
    from Minnesota

4 pages and I still haven't seen a picture of the REVEAL! The way the car was built wouldn't the running boards have covered the REVEAL? Then it wouldn't have been revealed except for the mechanic or really short people!

20. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Here's a pic of a frame that shows the "reveal".....see the turned out edge on the outside of the frame rail? That's the "reveal".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  21. topperguy

topperguy
    from Minnesota

Thank You VoodooTwin. Looks better with than without!

22. metal man

metal man

Mike, your first pic is the one I was asking for. it shows that you do indeed have stamped frame rails. That is interesting, because it means ......
    1. It is a rare original frame, that I have never heard of until now.
    2. The rails have been modified to remove the reveal.
    3. Someone stamped reproduction rails without the reveal.

I think it is either #1 or #2

I can tell you for certain that those are not "Just A Hobby" rails.

23. metal man

metal man

I just looked at the pictures again. It appears your frame is not boxed in the middle ( behind where the reveal would be). Can you go climb under it with a flashlight, and look for any evidence of the reveal being removed, or hammered flat ? Maybe if that is what happened, they didn't take the time to totally finish the inside.

It is also possible that someone just filled the reveal with body filler, although unlikely on such a nice car.

I really would like to know the rest of the story on this thing.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  24. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I was going to mention the bondo thing earlier, but wouldn't have thought anyone would have done such a thing on such a nice car.

25. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

prudes....:D

I have seen a multitude of sins under the smooth skin of some very beautiful vehicles more than a few times...;) I'm curious too as to what the inside view of those framerails will "reveal".... My bet is that someone hammered or filled them.

26. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I usually try to give people the benefit of the doubt....

27. 5Wcoupe

5Wcoupe
    from L.A., Ca.

Page 101 of Tony Thacker's book "32 Ford Deuce" explains "By the time world war two was over the 1932 chassis had all but dried up in England. In an attempt to continue production, Allard manufactured its own. The frame rails were very similar to '32 Ford rails with the exception of their distinctive side pressing"
    There is a whole chapter devoted to european manufacturing

28. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Now this is a revealing revalation! Thank you!

29. tinmann

tinmann

To further muddy the waters in this revealing discussion, allow me to share the following........

In the mid-80's, I was at a guy's farm in Saskatchewan picking up a '34 Tudor with a buddy. The farm owner asked us if we'd like to see the rarest of the rare '32 Fords? You can guess our response. While walking out to the windrow of cars out behind the graineries, my mind is weighing the options to B-400 versus sedan delivery. When he stops us, he points to a very unlikely looking hulk. As he begins to describe it, my jaw dropped. It's a '32 hearse. The cowl is roadster pick-up. The body forward is car stuff. Behind the cowl, it is all authentic coach-built panels. Dual opening doors on both sides and the rear. Long wheelbase chassis which had to be 1 1/2 ton. But here's the kicker...... it HAD the reveal!!! Anyone else ever see such a beast??

30. chrisp

chrisp

Again in England they had few long wheel base 32 with the reveal, could be such a frame for the hearse.
    As for that frame without the reveal if it wasn't hammered flat or bondoed the best bet to me is Allard.