Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1932 Indianapolis 500

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, May 24, 2013.

1. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

During practice for the 32 race, former Brit M/C racer Milton Jones dumps his Miller and was killed.

Attached Files:

2. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

You can google Popular Mechanics and view most of the issues online.

Ago

3. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Probably no real rhyme or reason. I suspect it was just Eddie R. drumming up P.R.

4. gilmore

gilmore
    from Missouri

FYI... William "Spider" Matlock died on Jan. 27, 1936, succumbing to injuries resulting from a crash at Legion Ascot Speedway, the previous day. He was riding mech. for Al Gordon, who also died.

I know, I know... the Wikipedia page for Arnold (where I assume you got that info) says Matlock died in the 1932 Indy crash, but it is wrong. Go figure, something on Wikipedia wrong.

5. Great line! Cool video..

6. cooger

cooger

try 111mph in one of those, through curves, heavy traffic, with no seat belt or roll-bar.
    cooger

7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Is Fred Frame, the winner, wearing a white shirt and tie?

8. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

Arnold did go over the northeast wall in 1932, but he went over the northwest wall in 31 and that accident killed the boy on Georgetown road. Man that early wall being verticule and not built at the same degree as the banking was DANGEROUS.

9. Shimmin

Shimmin
    from california

anyone have the photo of Edsel Ford in the pace car full side shot? I have the 3/4 view from front but there is a full side shot I have seen. Anyone seen this?

10. F-head

F-head

wow unreal
    those were some brave men
    scary to watch
    B

11. Weasel

Weasel

I was fortunate enough to get a few hot laps as a 'riding mechanic' around the Milwaukee Mile last July in Russ Snowberger's Hupp Comet that came fifth in the 1932 Indy 500. It was pretty spirited and yes you have to have big brass ones!

[​IMG]

12. greybeard360

greybeard360

A bit of Indy trivia (beside I was born there, Methodist Hospital to be exact)... When they bricked the track, all of the brick was made at a brick factory in Veedersburg Ind. This is where we lived when I first started school. I knew about the factory but didn't know until a while back that they made the bricks!

13. 2935ford

2935ford

and the drivers dressed for the occasion........sweater, white dress shirt and of course a tie! Step out of your car and you're ready for the ball!

14. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Wow, the winner was wearing a tie?