Register now to get rid of these ads!

1932 frame rear axle to frame minimum clearance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gear27, Aug 8, 2011.

1. gear27

gear27

I need some opinions from experience

1932 ford stock frame model a crossmember and spring ladder bar set up and I have 2 " of clearance with all the weight on do I need to do a c notch or is there anyone here that runs the same clearance with no issues .

Thanks

2. good question, but it will depend some on use, spring rates, roads, etc. I have less rear frame to axle clearance on my A PU (different setup than your question) and occasionally bottom out on a good bump, giving me a jolt; but it is rare and I can live with it.

3. Just be sure to run bump stops so you never have metal to metal contact if and when the suspension does bottom out. I find that stock 32 Ford rear bump stops work well but there are many different shapes and sizes available so choose one that works best for your particular set up. I have 2" of clearance on the rear of both my Hot Rods and have no issue of bottoming out under normal driving conditions and roads but the 2" is between the bump stop and the axle housings.

4. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Your springs are going to settle after you start driving the car as much as an inch, maybe more.