Register now to get rid of these ads!

1932 Ford top chopping question for the choppers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Willys, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

When you chop the top on a 32 Ford, do you install the wood before or after you chop the top? My old wood is bad and have a new kit for my tudor. I am going to install the roof wood first but what about the others?

2. tinmann

tinmann

What's the plan for the new wood not fitting the lengthened roof skin after the chop? There may be enough wood to just redrill the two holes in the upper A pillar area.

3. FINKSTR

FINKSTR

I removed all of the wood, chopped my top 3.2" then reinstalled the wood. My wood over the doors had to be repaired so I lengthened it the 3/4" the roof was stretched to allow the mate up in at the A & C posts. I had a new wood kit for aroubd the rear window and just shortened it the amount the car was chopped prior to installing it.

4. I chopped my 2 door and did not install wood. I built a 1" steel frame work over the doors and rear window - with wood bolted to it for upholstery - then ran bows across the top from this frame work with wood attached again for the headliner. I use foam to seal the bows to the roof. Works fine and looks right.

5. We chopped a Model A sedan and removed the wood,,fairly ease to shorten the wood. HRP

6. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

On the cars I've had chopped they always remove the wood and cut it down. Allows everything to be welded inside and out for a stronger top. My last couple of chops have been 2 doors with the front chopped 3.5, the center 3.25 and the back 3. Gives the top a nice wedge and the drip rail doesn't get humpy in the middle. They've leaned the front posts for a little racier look.

7. 5Wcoupe

5Wcoupe
    from L.A., Ca.

The wood in a '32 is not structural. It's only there for tacking upholstery.
    That said, I would mark the old wood along with the sheet metal, remove it, chop the top then use old wood as a template for the new wood.

8. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Thanks for the replies, as for the roof insert. I have not decided if I was going to lenthen the roof or lay the A post back. I do agree that it should be chopped more in the front than the rear.