Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1932 Ford Shed Find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dustyrelics, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Dustyrelics

Dustyrelics

Went to a garage sale at a modest older house and noticed a lot of "guy stuff' on the tables. As usual, I asked the older woman if there were any old cars or car parts around for sale and she said "no". A few minutes later I see an older gentleman come outside and put a few things on a table and start to walk back in so I ask him too. He hesitates and says well yes, I have an old car that may be for sale but it's buried under a lot of stuff and behind stuff and I can't get to it for a while, but it will be for sale early next year. Of course I ask what it is and he tells me it a 1956 Chevy pick-up. I tell him I would be interested in it and he starts talking about how he used to build cars, etc. I show him a quick photo of my last hot rod build and he says "I have another car back there too, a 1932 Ford".

Well you all know what goes through your mind at a moment like that. Me too.

Gently working my way around the subject I express an interest in both vehicles. He says that one is even more buried and then offers to go get me a pic of the car back when he used to drive it. Turns out to be a clean 1932 Tudor full fendered all steel hot rod. He also mentions a mint 1935 Ford grille he has and I express interest in that too when when he offers to bring me around back to the sheds he has to see the grille. Then he lets me see the car because we are just a few feet away from it, but not take the cover off of it. Well at least I know a) it's exists, b) its a real 32 and c) it is available. He is leaving town for a month and will not let me pick it up until January because he has tons of stuff in front of it and can't dig it out until then. So I must wait until then to dig it out. 2016 is already looking to be a good year. :)

But knowing about the "if there are no pics it didn't happen" rule.......

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  2. I will withhold comment until I see what is actually under the covers,you have photo's but they don't substantiate that there is indeed a 32 Ford or a 56 Chevy pickup hiding in that garage. HRP

3. Dustyrelics

Dustyrelics

You can see the 1932 front bumper in the one pic. You can also see the tudor roof curve in the other pic. Car is black. Another funny part of the story is that he told me there was a small crease in the right front fender. He wouldn't let me pull the cover off of it to see it, but he wanted me to feel the crease through the cover for some reason. lol

I didn't take photos of the 56 truck because it was all in pieces in three sheds.

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Maybe you can wait until 2016, the rest of us cannot.
    Nudge, nudge.

5. I'll believe it when I see it.

40fordtudor and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Wellll at one time in my life it was VERRY EXCITING to feel the crease!

7. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Haaaaaa! Thats funny as hell!!!!!!!!

8. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Oh and by the way good luck on the purchase!!!!!!!

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great find! You don't want to be a pest, but a few visits and a Christmas card would be in order. I think a lot of us have had cars slip away that we thought we had a lock on. Bob

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. So you just joined up today to tease the hell out of us didn't you?:rolleyes:;)

11. And go visit that old gent,offer to help with whatever you can.

12. I pity you. Its going to be rough not being able to sleep until January.

13. alchemy

alchemy

I'd recognize the shape of that drip rail anywhere. It is a 32 tudor, or fordor, or sedan delivery. And the fender pic confirms it's 32-ness.

So, you bought them? Sight unseen? Or you have the opportunity to buy them in January?

14. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

this story reads like the mailed-in sex stories found in old Penthouse magazines

15. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

You should have closed the deal on the spot and offered to move everything/remove the car. Did you establish a price?
    Hopefully you get the 32, however time is against you. Now that the owner has considered selling (after speaking with you), he may just appraise the car himself by doing some web research, etc. and the price may be current market value (or sold) once 2016 comes around. That may be why he is putting you off with the "wait until January" bit.

16. X2

lothiandon1940 and LOU WELLS like this.
  17. You read the stories?
    So you are the one. I bought it for the photos myself....:)

18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

But you knew they were real.:rolleyes:

19. Dustyrelics

Dustyrelics

Yes, we agreed on a price that I think is reasonable. We shook hands and he felt that his handshake was his bond. But he also realized that I have not been able to see it and considered asking me to pay for a car I had not been able to inspect was not right. As a courtesy to him we agreed to let him finish his garage sale and take his trip before he had to worry about it. I have scored my fair share of rare finds and it is a delicate dance. If you push too hard you can hit a wall. I've found that if you show you are taking their situation and circumstances into consideration you get farther along, especially when it is a car with a lot of emotional attachment as this car is. I also want the pickup because it is a solid, rust free big back window short bed. I also expressed interest in EVERYTHING he had in his garage which would save him a lot of time emptying the place out. There are tools, hardware, stainless, speed parts, etc. So I can wait and the car will still be there.

Stogy and LOU WELLS like this.
  20. indyjps

indyjps

That's a great looking car cover, you gonna restore it to original, or keep the patina?

Just messing with ya, good move on offering to buy it all, hope it all works out, could be a lot of other parts there. I prefer old tools, post some pics of the shop stuff as well.

21. Dustyrelics

Dustyrelics

OK, Time for an update. He finally got around to moving a few things out of the way after some cold weather and an illness and invited me over to see my new old car. But it's still too buried to get it out. It's way back behind the ladder in the first pic, and I'm standing in the only garage door taking that photo. So everything you see has to be moved out to pull it out. This is only one shed out of four.

It's a slow process because each box is taken off of the shelf, opened, and contains about four or five stories of the good old days before we move to the next box. It's been fun listening and learning. He puts away the stuff he wants and donates the rest to me, which I eagerly except. Nothing real valuable, just moving his shelf clutter to my shelves to clutter.

It turned out it was in nicer condition than I thought but it's all eat up with the eighties. Swimming in billet with Corvette independent rear suspension, Corvair style front, 4-wheel dis brakes, Western Mags and bright scallops. Car has tilt, CB radio, AM/FM Casette, Fuzz Buster, and other 80's items. The body is super nice, straight and solid with all Henry steel everything. He has the original hood sides too but has to dig them out. All in all though, I'm pretty excited. It will be a fun one to get cleaned up and roadworthy again.

To give you an idea of how long it has been in the shed, check out the photo of the dash showing the FussBuster stuck to the windshield. The plastic coating of the coiled cord literally fell off into a pile on the dash top!

8275083a-1cff-43fc-80c8-3952b623c401.jpg a569ca03-80ea-41de-a231-dc55f55b1234.jpg 71dee038-1de9-4b5a-b17f-ceb3850ea75c.jpg 78a48cb3-381e-45a2-a837-ae3a0563dcaf.jpg 7902e7e7-6c3d-4c56-bcc2-99ce22794cdf.jpg dc387ae6-5073-47ec-bb15-e614fa4daee8.jpg d39ef08b-b597-4027-83b8-f97e2a2132af.jpg

22. Dustyrelics

Dustyrelics

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ditto, when I saw the shape of the front fender under the cover, no doubt whatsoever, whatever is under there, it has '32 front fenders on it anyway. Nice SCORE.

Pinstriper40 likes this.
  24. You can fix that! You can enjoy it just the way it is while you change one thing at a time. I am stoked for you.

25. Got a lot to work with, great find!!

26. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D You lucky bugger.Awesome score.Keep us posted.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo.

27. mike bowling

mike bowling

How old was this guy, and when did the car get built? That scallop job looks 80's maybe? Pretty modern steering wheel too..... nice car though, congrats if it works out.
    ( just went back and noticed the NSRA sticker too- I was in that when I liked Chevelles! -35 years ago!)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  28. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

nice score, congrats