Register now to get rid of these ads!

1932 Ford Roadster Seat and Upholstery Advice Needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockfish, Sep 7, 2011.

1. rockfish

rockfish

I'm getting close to needing a seat in my '32 roadster project. Glass body with flat floor(no seat riser). I want to avoid buckets or a minivan seat. I'm really after a more original type of look only with the upper upholstery overstuffed and rolled over the edge of the cockpit.

Question is what should I start with? A stock set of bottom and back springs from one on the early Ford suppliers or just plywood and foam? I've also got a '46 Ford coupe seat I could possibly cut down too. I should mention I'm 6'3" tall and have a chopped windshield. Would a stock bottom spring directly on the floor be low enough? Don't want my big melon sticking up too far. :)

My dad learned sewing in the Air Force back in the early 1960's and has an industrial machine so we're ready to give something a try. Just looking to get steered in the right direction.

I'll take pictures and document the project as we do it. I'm sure it won't be perfect or the "best" way but maybe someone will get motivated enough to try it for themselves.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

2. wayne-o

wayne-o

I just finished one using a Lebaron Bonney kit. Bought the seat bottom complete with wood, springs, etc and mounted it directly to the floor. The seat back was one of their kits for a fibreglass car with the rolled back. I built a plywood back and used foam so as to keep it thinner than with springs. Moved everything back and down as much as I could. I have seen cars with the seat back actually into the trunk for more leg room. The kick panels, door panels and shoulder panels were L&B's stock stuff. I asked them to make the shoulder panels longer to accomodate the seat back being move back. Very happy with how it turned out. Their kit came with everything you need and they were great to work with. Upholstery.jpg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Really like the looks of the LB kit. On the package 32 Brookville roadsters I build for customers I've been installing the modified Glide seat from So-Cal (my upholstery guy hates them) the back is low enough to go under the back deck for leg room, you can sit low in the car and they have quite a bit of adjustment. Not the best choice but I have to build for many different sized customers.

4. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

What's the difference between the glide and the So-Cal glide?

5. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

The So-Cal Glide seat seems to modified to sit lower in the car. On one of the builds I ordered a 32 roadster seat from Glide and it was to tall to slide under the deck panel?

6. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After running a homemade angle iron framework & plywood insert covered with foam for 200,000 miles, I changed to a "Glide" seat assy. with fold down center arm rest, I couldn't be more satisfied with "Glides" good product!---Now with 76,000 "new miles", the springs sure make a big difference over the "Foam".---Don:D:D

Attached Files:

7. one thing to be aware of is the support for your thigh @ the knee joint. I carry a small pillow & when my leg starts to bother me I insert the pillow under the leg @ the joint to raise it up a bit. My seat is on a adjustable base but also very low. Just off the flat floor. I have a teas seat. I also have had both knees replaced.

8. CHOPPED THAT SEAT!

I put a 1980'S S-10 bench seat in mine. Had to chop several inches from the center so it would fit the width of the interior. Seat back rocks forward for trunk access too. Chopped the feet also to get it down about 1". Added a little extra foam and had it recovered with a "period" pleat pattern. And the seat and back are both adjustable! Works great for me!

But those little truck seats are not all that comfortable to begin with. One of the custom Glide jobs might be more comfortable over the long haul? But, my seat was free and that sure beats the high $$ price! I'd do it again this way but probably add more foam for lumbar support....

And like BURN OUT BOB says above, a small pillow under or next to your right knee helps to relax the leg as you work that tiny non ergonomic gas pedal...

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011