Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 Ford Roadster P-51

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by AULIZ, Nov 21, 2020.

1. dlw1932

dlw1932
    from Nebraska

Looks great! Let me know if you need a transmission cover for that thing.

Stogy likes this.
  2. Nice work....

Stogy likes this.
  3. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

I like your metal work and am following, thanks for sharing your build it’s 51 F. degrees here in Dallas , Texas

Stogy likes this.
  4. AULIZ

AULIZ

dash ready. First I was made magneto switch hole upside down.... 2hours more welding, drilling....

Aulis

stoker-318.jpg stoker-319.jpg stoker-320.jpg stoker-321.jpg stoker-322.jpg

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    brEad, fauj, bymanr and 8 others like this.
  5. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You Everybody. Your covers are very very nice. I think, I must make Aluminum trannycover and Aluminum panels around pedal holes , maybe some rivets.... Same "outlook set" than big "map pockets" to the doors.

Aulis

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    chryslerfan55, dlw1932 and Stogy like this.
  6. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Are you not running a speedometer? Not legally needed in Finland? Or am I not seeing it?

Stogy likes this.
  7. Love the aircraft seats... manufactured by Schick-Johnson.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. AULIZ

AULIZ

No speedo. Finland You do not need to have speedometer. Tachometer is good.
    DoYou know where can I get more info about those magnesium seats?

Aulis

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. This is going to look cool, especially with those artillery wheels. I had a set of 17 inch 1936 Chev artillery wheels that I regretfully got rid of.

Keep up the great work.

Glen.

10. AULIZ

AULIZ

Yes, You are correct. Chevy Artillery wheels. I just removed studs from 40s ford drums/hubs. This week I need to made new bolt circle and push bolts back. Chevy had then 5 x 4 1/4BC.

I know that this rod will not be so low than many think. Very high tires and I do not want to kick /drop frame or change original front support to A-model..... but if open Montgommery´s very good book " Hot Rod´s of the 40´s" ... rods were rather high. Not available aftermarket frame, spring etc stuff,... it was real hot rodding !

We have Year´s coldest season now. Last winter no snow at all. While little, very warm winter. Now cold and dry weather is come from Siperia (Russia). Only good thing what comes from Russia is cold in winter, Warm in Summer.
    OK, not so cold, but next 1-2week -10 - -20dec Celcius. No wind, just minus decrees, very good weather for kids, for me to built hot rod in +18dec garage.... Electric is not expensive here. My 1.5men (I and Oskar son) household all electric cost is 20 000kw = 2200euro /year (200euro/month). Mostly heating and 4-5 x every week sauna (6kw heater)..... 100y old house, not so warm than new ones, but garage keep warm in (and summer cold in) very good. I have there 4" / 100mm urethane wall insulations, 600mm blowed glass wool on top, very much insulation under floor, 1,5kw 155meter long heating cable ......

Both bottles empty (Mison = mig, Argon = tig). It will be 100euro / bottle to change those today full bottles.
    I have used very much argon last years. Used only tig when weld frame, bodyjobs.....

Aulis

11. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

Great job, digging the build!

Stogy likes this.
  12. The only thing I have would be a copy of the parts breakdown for the seats out of the P-51 manual... I can scan it and send you a copy if you're interested.

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  13. AULIZ

AULIZ

Please, do that. Im so interested in all that kind of parts, old aeroplanes.... my email addresses:
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

How old is that Delco/ Scintilla double magneto switch which I have bolted on to the dash?

Aulis

nb. Today I left 59a block to my friends place. Some day need to go there working. Must bore 3-4cylinder + install sleeves + bore and hone. Few cyliders have corrosion. Also need to made new 5 x 4 1/4" BC to drums and hubs.

Yesterday I turned 25x3mm hydraulic tubes. Seat frames need to made. This car I install seats as low as possible.
    Interior material (leatherette, puxx 2) has been ordered. Also bought 3 litre maincolour and 1litre for firewall, wheels...

stoker-323.jpg stoker-324.jpg stoker-325.jpg stoker-326.jpg stoker-327.jpg

brEad, Stogy, chryslerfan55 and 7 others like this.
  14. David Palacios

David Palacios

Excellent thread, keep up the good work!

Stogy likes this.
  15. saa

saa
    from Sweden

Hi from Sweden. You have always made great builds, curious to see the end results…

16. 55shoebox

55shoebox

Awesome thread!

Stogy likes this.
  17. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You Sirs
    This week I have been working in my friend´s machinery garage. I was made new bolt circle to my 40´s ford bakes.
    Next week I must bore and install 3pc sylinder sleeve and grind one 59A crank.

Today I welded together one seat frame. Tomorrow continue pass. side.
    Aulis

stoker-328.jpg stoker-329.jpg stoker-330.jpg stoker-331.jpg stoker-332.jpg stoker-333.jpg

brEad, Stogy, ct1932ford and 3 others like this.
  18. Ziggster

Ziggster

Just went through the entire thread. Awesome work! Always impressed how so many Europeans take the time and money to build incredible traditional rods considering all the barriers you must face. Are you thinking of a checkered white and black paint scheme somewhere on the body? For sure you should get some authentic WWII vintage pilot goggles or even the leather helmet! Haha! That would be too cool!

19. ChoppySTX

ChoppySTX

Amazing craftsmanship! I am a sucker for a vintage aircraft themed build.

Stogy likes this.
  20. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks Sirs.
    You know we have here in North very much time to built cars (race, hot rod, muscle,...) because we have long dark autumn, real winter (December - March).... That is good time to built car or just spend time on sofa.... I like both. Evenings on sofa. I have 2 x adult leather helmet and 1 x kids size.... I have so big head, not look good (even without that).

Today welded both seatframes ,drilled floorpanels and bolted on. Now Im sure that I need to cut and short column shaft and cover. Steering wheel is high when I was sit there very deep.

Tomorrow -20dec Celcius outside. Oskar can´t play there, so he need to come help me. Tomorrow need to drill and weld rear fewnder mounting nuts inside of innerfenders. Also start to drill and weld on those adapters between 1932 spindle and lincoln brakes.

Sunday we install plastic from top to floor. I made 3meters x 6meters sanding and painting "professional room" inside of my garage. If You remember which kind of painting "tent" I had when I built my ex B-17 bomper hot rod 3-4years ago. That was very extream to paint outside, warm that 3 x 6meter tent..... stoker-337.jpg stoker-338.jpg stoker-339.jpg stoker-340.jpg stoker-341.jpg stoker-342.jpg stoker-343.jpg

Aulis

brEad, Stogy, ct1932ford and 6 others like this.
  21. AULIZ

AULIZ

Tomorrow hubs and drums are ready. Takes time to make new 5 x 4.25" bolt circle. Also must made 2mm spacers between drums and wheels.

While I have fix body, drill rear fender holes and tig weld there threadnuts.
    Today today I drilled adapters which are needed when used 1932 ford original spindles 40´s lincoln brakes.
    Tomorrow I need to take trip to South. Some stuff from CA arrived, must pick up from customs.
    Later this week I remove body from frame.

Body: epoxy, sanding,...
    Frame: rear framesupport modification, brake lines, exhaust tubes,....

I made deal with MIRKA , which is one of worlds biggest sandpaper manufacturer. They deliver me new electric sanding machine + dust extractor. I have had 10years Mirka basic sander. Air Compersor is running all the time.....this new Deros is electic. dust extractor takes 90% of all dust.

https://www.mirka.com/tools/
    https://www.mirka.com/DEROS/
    This set:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  22. Willows

Willows

Auliz, your style and skills are great to me, and i enjoy reading your posts very much. Thank you for sharing.

Stogy likes this.
  23. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks! I try my best.
    Hot rods are made for hard use, not for garage or trailer queens.
    AULIS

stoker-344.jpg stoker-346.jpg stoker-347.jpg stoker-348.jpg stoker-349.jpg stoker-350.jpg Aulis

stoker-344.jpg stoker-346.jpg stoker-347.jpg stoker-348.jpg stoker-349.jpg stoker-350.jpg

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Great thread and build, Auliz. I'm also a studier of WWII aircraft, had a chance to assist famous engine builder Dave Zeuschel on the belly damage of his P51 Reno air racer in 1968.
    I was curious about the blisters on the cowl, (at first thought 'Center cowl steering'??) but then it was explained. Yes, no 'ordinary sheep'!
    This is a great education for Oskar, glad you have him helping.
    296" flathead, I've built a few. Go easy on that transmission...

Stogy, warbird1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. AULIZ

AULIZ

Hello
    Thank You. Yes, blisters are made real aeroplane feeling and outlook. Let´s see how all aluminum parts fit when body is painted... Tomorrow I continue

aulis

Stogy and TagMan like this.
  26. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thursday I made ready both front backingplate installations. Also cut brass nets to rear "vents". Tomorrow morning I drive to my friends place and made drums/hubs ready. He has helped me hundred times. He has good machines there. We can grind cranks, bore&hone cylinders,....

Next week will arrive Harman Collins 40s magneto. I need to open it, send coil to magnetoman. He is recoil it. I have learn that 40s harman collings magnetos can work but mostly they "leak" or start to leak and then I have big troubles on the road. When recoiled , works like old train.

Last friday I called to Ross pistons. 2 week before that I was send many email to Hastings piston rings and Grant piston rings. I need piston rings to my 3.375" bore Ross pistons. Both ring companies dont answered me.... too small business to sell one set piston rings? Ross sold me those rings, 90.00usd and now those are on the way to Finland. Want to balance engine parts before I start to work with engine. Good thing is that block is bored and honed in USA, I save time to do all. Runners are also made big and seat rings are also made big for 1.60" IN and EX valves. I bought this engine project from HamBer "Frames , NC". Mike Herman (HH Flatheads) send me H-beam rods, stud set, SU1 hot rod cam, lifters, navarro intake etc.....

Still need to fit hoods before I lift body off . I welded 15y ago this body rack. Good to paint, sand, paint 2k....
    Today start to bolt on hoods. Tops need to sandblast and driver side too. Just sand so much Drv side that I shrink it with pullmax. Pas side hood I sandblasted and shrink too. sandblast cabin I have made 16y ago. Not used years, but good when needed. small parts I use glass, now I changed there sand.

Aulis

stoker-351.jpg stoker-352.jpg stoker-353.jpg stoker-354.jpg stoker-355.jpg stoker-357.jpg stoker-358.jpg stoker-359.jpg
    stoker-360.jpg stoker-351.jpg stoker-361.jpg stoker-362.jpg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    brEad, Maicobreako, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  27. tom feland

tom feland
    from Norman, OK

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  28. tom feland

tom feland
    from Norman, OK

Another real Hot Rod by AULIZ......really impressive. Really like the creative details. Nice to see a real traditional Hot Rod in the making.

nunattax likes this.
  29. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks.
    Today everything goes wrong... ... not good day. Saturday need to continue sandblasting....

Aulis

stoker-363.jpg stoker-364.jpg stoker-365.jpg stoker-366.jpg stoker-367.jpg

30. AULIZ

AULIZ

Hood tops are ready. Hood sides I sandplasted, welded cracks, hammered, shrink .... Many times I wonder 30´s steel. very good to weld, but very strange when need to shrink it. Pullmax not work with that 30´s sheetmetal...
    New 1mm sheetmetal is so easy to shrink and strech.

Also made brackets for hood rear latches. Drilled fr and rr latches holes and made threads too.
    I found old cowl and rad.shell lacing. I bought it +10y ago from CW moss old man.
    Made cowl and shell laces too (band) and installed those. Latches are original 1932 ford. Looks so much better than aftermarket stuff.

Tomorrow need to sandblast backing plates and few other small part.

It was long day in garage. Just eat hot wings with beer. Sauna is nearly 100 dec. celsius, Now go to laying around benches there. stoker-368.jpg stoker-368b.jpg stoker-369.jpg stoker-370.jpg stoker-371.jpg stoker-372.jpg stoker-373.jpg stoker-374.jpg stoker-375.jpg

Aulis

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    brEad, Stogy, ct1932ford and 4 others like this.