Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 Ford Roadster P-51

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by AULIZ, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Looks fantastic.

Did I mention that I love the wheels o_O… I think I did.

Here’s what I did to 2 of the 5 I had before I stupidly sold them…

[​IMG]

:rolleyes:

Glen.

Stogy, fauj, j hansen and 1 other person like this.
  2. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If i saw that colour on a chart i would not give it a second glance, on your 32 its perfect ,stunning!!!
    Ha I got told off for having a beer in our sauna , simple stopped having a sauna , got my priorities right..... I think i would be sweating at 100 degrees C though.

AULIZ
    from North-Finland

Friday is over. Just come in and wait until sauna is 90-100dec Celcius.
    This was so hard and long day, Sauna is good place to relax with one cold beer

Stogy, j hansen and AULIZ like this.
  3. AULIZ

AULIZ

This is 100% hot rod bike !!!!
    ah

100dec Celcius in sauna is normal. 80 is "half cold". and of course we throw water on stones. Clean boy after 10min sauna and cold beer there feels goooooood.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  4. AndersF

AndersF

At my work we have a sauna and usally we are 3 that sit there and bullshitting after work.
    One from Finland, me from Sweden and one from Norway.
    The guy from Norway allways give up first with me a while after him.
    It seems we tend to be weaker the more west we come from.:D

The hotrod really turned out great.
    Hope to see it in real like the one you had at Power big meet last time.

Stogy likes this.
  5. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

New Yorkers tend to think that about everyone else in the US. Louie Zamperini (of Unbroken) was from CA, just like a lot of Auliz' hot rod inspiration. West is best.

6. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks Anders and Paul.
    Today I installe 16" electric fan. Now its Street Rod... :oops:
    Walker Radiator is sailing on Atlantic sea. They told me, container arrive to Finland 7th of July.

Few sticker installed too. Engine sound is not good high Rpm,... Tomorrow I open carbs and check that both are OK and maybe change bigger jets. Feels that engine needs more fuel. Tune up is what I like. Yesterday I changed another magneto cap.

My friend owns Ahaa -advertising agency (www.ahaa.fi). I send them samples what I want and owner Mickey made some stickers to this car. Earlier he has made for example auliz stickers (trailer, small stickers) etc....

Stickers installed. If not good idea -> easy remove. Old US Airforce star, etc....

Aulis

stoker-779.jpg View attachment 5084361 stoker-782.jpg stoker-783.jpg stoker-785.jpg stoker-787.jpg View attachment 5084368 stoker-790.jpg stoker-786.jpg

7. AULIZ

AULIZ

Engine is now perfect. I didn´t find any reason why engine was not take Rpm smoothly. Sometimes it´s sum of many small things. I was check and fix magneto points, change another good magneto cap after fixed it, pieced carbs and washed those....

Yesterday tuned up engine, cut and installed door bumpers.

Today, Sunday, I continue doing small things. I found old round tool box, which I basted with glass and installed with homemade bracket on cabin floor.
    Also installed new USB output to battery bracket, if need to charge phone etc.
    Can leave phone in bag on trunk and charge there.

This week I take longer trip with this Roadster. I drive up to Oulu city (350km) see my friends.

stoker-791.JPG stoker-792.JPG

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  8. AULIZ

AULIZ

Sunday pics.
    Also made bushings for seat belt mounting. Belts are new. I have had so many very old WWII aircraft belts, decided to use this car new smooth belts.

I had there new Stromberg 2 x 2bbl carb linkage. Today replaced it using new race style brackets and old aircraft rod.

ah
    stoker-795.jpg stoker-796.jpg stoker-797.jpg stoker-798.jpg stoker-799.jpg stoker-800.jpg stoker-801.jpg stoker-802.jpg stoker-803.jpg stoker-805.jpg stoker-806.jpg

ct1932ford, Stogy, SPEC and 5 others like this.
  9. AmishMike

AmishMike

Been following your build, love the car. Surprised u have metal/tools laying on that newly painted cowl. Guess u believe in using your car, it is not a “mantel piece”. Trust my “slang” words not confusing

SilverJimmy likes this.
  10. AULIZ

AULIZ

Hahaaa.... Good note. Yes, Tools are on new paint. Hot Rods are only cars, not bigger than life.
    Never happen nothing damage... scratch etc etc. If happens, I can repaint.

Aulis

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Banger coming up!!

brady1929 and KiwiGlen like this.
  12. SPEC

SPEC

Great build!

nunattax likes this.
  13. Looks like you’re ready for take off!

Stogy likes this.
  14. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You all comments and following this project.

Oskar son has been two weeks in Estonia with his mother (Oskar has two passport).
    Tomorrow he is come back Seinajoki spend some time with me too.

I have been driving here in Seinäjoki area. Yesterday first longer trip. I have had very much problems with carbs, clutch release bearing, generator was nearly burn day before yesterday, old brass radiator is leak strongly.....
    Voltage regulator battery points were not opened after I was drive 20-30minute approx. 35-40km from here to my friends summer cottage. There we note suddenly that car is nearly fire.... points were not opened when I stop engine. Normally DC generator points are open when engine RPM is under 1000..... I was not adjust points becauce regulator is brand new and I trust that its ok. Few days ago I was adjust ARM points. I get it charge from 12.60V up to 13.50V which is enough for summer car.

OK, I do not need very much electric because I use Harman Collins magneto.

Now carbs are 85% OK. I still must open those, but not want to do it during summer. Little "empty area" between idler and driving areas. Ford carbs I normally change different power valves and find that way balance.

We still have here warm weather which comes from Siperia. Warm wind, +25dec everyday..... same kind of warm wind like they have in California when warm wind is from east (desert).

Yesterday +100km, today too. This car I have very much small problems.
    I have time to work with it. Sweden they have cancel all american car happenings (Power Big Meet, Wheels Nationals, European championship Drag Racing,.....) and here we have different problems. Govenment opened too late their rules and many meetings etc. have not enough time to arrange all many many things. Racetrack here near of me is closed because some "green" people has made their complaint...... Here its too easy to close this kind of rules. One or two person has too much power if they do like that.

So, I have time to do small things, drive, test and tune.
    Few pictures yesterday roadtrip to East from Seinajoki. I found nice small place there. Pizza nr. 9 = Hot Rod and cold beer..... made my day.

Aulis

stoker-808.jpg stoker-809.jpg stoker-810.jpg stoker-811.jpg
    stoker-814.jpg stoker-812.jpg stoker-813.jpg

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad you and the wheels are okay @AULIZ...1st endurance flight can be challenging...glad that is a memory now...glad your having an almost but not quite there yet summer...

brady1929 likes this.
  16. 47streetrodder

47streetrodder

Congrats on endurance run....and that's a very tasty looking pizza.

Stogy likes this.
  17. v-v

v-v
    from Finland

Coming to Seinäjoki this evening. Maybe i see sneak peek at that Roadster

Stogy likes this.
  18. AULIZ

AULIZ

Hello
    Thanks Sirs. I have not visit this topic last 3 weeks.

Rod is great. Finally engine is very very good. Today fuel is too dry and no lead. That is one problem. No problems if You run engine year-round. Normally I increase extra special fuel with lead before I drive rods to wintergarage. One problem is my 2nd garage. It´s too hot in winter. it´s only 24 square meters, but enough for my two hot rods. That garage was low price to buy and monthly costs are low. I do not want to invest bigger storage garage.
    Im not sure what is Autolite spark plug quality now a day. If somebody has better info, let me know. NGK is OK, but if once get too much fuel, You loose many sparkplugs forever. I like old Champions and new Motorcrafts. Now when I have tuned magneto, carbs..... those sparkplugs are not "die".

Radiator is still leak, but that is not big deal. Im wating for that Walker 491-2-FH radiator is arrive to Finland.

Now we have here "too hot for Northern whiteman" -weather. 25-30dec Celcius day after day. OK, nights are not so warm and yesterday it was rain too, but mostly dry and hot. Not good weather to work in garage. I have painted one wall there. Next week I paint top and another sidewall. Also washed toplights. Its 3-4years ago when i last time made this "facelift" there. Both engineprojects are now near of my working table. After done this garage cleaning, I start to built those engines. Im not sure if I put engine building pics under this topic or open own topic?

296cid big bore&long stroke engine
    255cid hot rod engine.

On September new project. You have seen that blue/orange 1936 ford pick up in my past pictures.
    That car has been waiting for rebuilding 1.5year. Owner, friend of mine, is living in South-Finland. I was promised him maybe 4-5y ago that I can built that car.

Aulis

This intake was disappeared Autumn 2020 in CA. Last week "lost cheep" arrived home.
    Now I have intake for both flathead projects..

I was visit (again) in Helsinki. FHRA (finnish hot rod association) cruising and saturday Malmi Street Race. Marvelous KERMA CC (car club) Rod & Custom garage is located there too. One of their member couple visit in my place earlier same week . I visit their garage and sleep in one of member couple´s house. Nice people everybody. Tommi is take "cold ride" in my Hot Rod.

stoker-816.jpg stoker-819.jpg stoker-820.jpg

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    warbird1, brEad, Runnin shine and 3 others like this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tommi looks like he's reading the Hotrod Manual...:D

Glad your getting the bugs out and having some fun doing it...Congrats Auliz and Hey!! The manifold showed up...Bonus!!

Look at that Flatty...if that doesn't get a rise out of the Hood nothing will...thanks for sharing the journey...Summers Here!!

brady1929 likes this.
  20. AULIZ

AULIZ

Rock´n´Roll.
    Nice warm summer is continue here upper part of Europe.
    Roadster is running very good. This week I will drive more than 1000km.
    I have rent my house from Thursday to Sunday. They have Finnish Championship Horse derby here in Seinäjoki. All hotels etc. are overbooked. Good time to rent house and spend that money on the road with roadster...

Cabriolet runs strong too, but now she has been more waiting for ride.

Garage is painted and lights washed. Next week I start to built engines.
    1) 296cid 59A Roadster engine. all ready balanced, runners are big, seats are big,.. just need to make valvejobs, wash and put together. Navarro heads, Navarro intake, Ross, Scat rods, 1.60" ss valves, G-185 valves, Harman collins magneto (just recoiled), Winfield SU1 cam, Schiefer alum. flywheel, Alum. oilpan, 2 x 97....

2) 239 +060 59A engine is for sale. 030 pistons, rings, 8BA rods and bearings. I have grinded crank over (010/010), L100 cam, 1.50 ss valves, G-185 springs, Edelbrock very high compression heads, polished china intake, 2 x 2bbl, Vertex or Cirello magneto which I will modify to 8BA style, steel oilpan.

Slowly looking for parts ready on tables.
    Aulis

stoker-822.jpg stoker-823.jpg stoker-824.jpg

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    Stogy, brEad, AndersF and 2 others like this.
  21. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

Auliz, thank you for letting us ride along. Your intensity and drive are commendable. Plus we get a slice of American Pie right there in Finland. And more than that sweet sweet flathead powered 32 roadster and your all American garage. I love the Converse shoes and the McIlhenney Tabasco brand hot sauce and all the other details.
    Really dig the "remove before flight" red Air Force tag on the key ring. My son has the American version of that on his key ring after a short stint at the USAFA.
    Interesting that your ex is in the Baltics and from Kajaani Estonia Estonia is 750km away. I live in Central CA and can drive north for 750km and still be in CA. Of course if you live way up in North Finland, your mileage may vary. Keep at it brother, those gremlins (nitpicky little problems) would have stymied most people.

CA vs Finland.jpg

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    Stogy likes this.
  22. AULIZ

AULIZ

Hello
    Thank You Sir ! I try my best.
    Last weekend we drive +1000km. Last 175-200km rain very heavily. That was good "test" (I and She have been together 4weeks). I think test was OK. She still liked spend time with me even we drive thru that big "water storm".

Rod works good. This week I washed car inside, trunk,...all over. There was everywhere sand....
    Changed new sparkplugs. Now found right ones. Very much colder Motorcraft sparkplugs are perfect. I was ordered those earlier from RockAuto.

Tomorrow arrive new radiator. I hear that Brassworks is now manufacture similar good brass radiators like Walker did. I bought that little used Walker from Winconsin 3 months ago. Original radiator is leak which means that I cant drive over 55mph on highway or engine is slowly going warmer and warmer. Next time need to buy new Brassworks radiator.

Last weekend in "Emolahti Meeting" one of best pinstipers in Finland, Marco "platu" Panting finished my Rod. He paint those aircraft logos and text. Nothing beat real hand made pinstriping.
    If You are in facebook, You can visit his page there:

https://www.facebook.com/PlatuKustomPinstriping

Aulis

stoker-825.jpg stoker-826.jpg stoker-827.jpg stoker-828.jpg

Aulis

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    34 5W Paul, brEad, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  23. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

tell us how comfortable were the seats?

Stogy likes this.
  24. AULIZ

AULIZ

Hmmm.... Comfortable.

I like those seats. If have problems with ass,.... I wouldn´t recommend long ride. I like more those seats than"too soft" sofas.
    If like more enjoy lie on sofa,.... can stay home and open TV.
    When drive hot rod, must have hot rod feeling. When drive Cadillac, feeling is like staying sofa in livingroom....

Not 100% comfortable like Finnish taxation or roads, but You adjust to it.
    I drive normally 200km part between have coffee break or fill tank. Not change position during ride.

I have there padding on seats. 4mm plywood + 2cm foam + strong leatherette.

AH

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  25. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

GOTYA

Stogy likes this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for sharing your day in Hotrods...Goodtimes Across the Pond I say...well deserved, you and Oskar work hard at it...;)

27. AULIZ

AULIZ

Hello
    Today Oskar was help me when I changed radiator. I bought it from USA (Wisconsin or Ohio) 4/2021.
    Finally arrived today.

Very very good condition. Looks like brand new. I remove electric fan and bolted radiator on frame.
    Testdrive: city cruising from trafic litghts to trafic lights = 170-175F. On Freeway +60mph = 160F.

Tomorrow morning I drive 200km south from here. Small Kustom & Hot Rod meeting. Too many meeting, show every weekend. Tomorrow (SAT) maybe 7 good american car happening here (South, East, North...)

Oskar is made Lego Racecar. stoker-829.jpg stoker-830.jpg stoker-831.jpg

Aulis

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    brEad, hotrodA, Maicobreako and 2 others like this.
  28. AULIZ

AULIZ

Cheers from Finland

Covid is strong again. Is it 3rd or 4rd "elimination" round going on,.... I have get both shot, so I can travel for example to Estonia, Sweden without any 2 week quarantine. This weekend they have bigger drag race competition in Tierp Arena in Sweden, but I pass it.

Last weekend we drive +600km (400miles) with my girlfriend. Nice meeting in Luvia, Fin. Rods, Am.cars, Harleys... Roadster works OK. Now can drive 60mph (100kmh) speed without problems, thanks top quality and not leak radiator. Still had small problem with two cylinder. Spark plugs are darker, even wet. Yesterday I made again compression testing. She push starter button and I used 50-60y old compression tester gauge. Result is not right, because I have superhcarger between intake runners and carburetors even I fasten trottles open. I was check that result between cylinders are nearly same.

Gauge show result 90-100 all cylinders. With open intake flow result is much more bigger, but I do not need that result. After testing I was sure that piston rings, valves are OK. I removed Harman & Collins magneto cap. I foud there two nearly 1" long crack. Those cracks were located bottom of cap (cylinders 4 and 8). cylinder 8 has not worked right and cylinder spark plug has been also darker. I found good old distributor cap and changed it. Now exhaust heat is OK also cylinder 8 which was all the time 50% of other cylinders. Infrared thermometer is very good tool when fire up race engine, test and tune old engine.... Now a days those are not expensive (+- 20usd/euro).

Yesterday I started to built 59A +030 engine. This engine I will sell when its ready. I have grinded crank to 010/010. Installed sleeve to 3cylinder. I will use 8BA rods, 59A pistons, new clevite bearings, F-100 hot rod cam, Johnson style lifters, SS valves, Edelbrock Hi-comp heads, Chinamade polished intake, Carb raisers, 2 x holley 94, BBC vertex magneto + 8ba front cover, steel oil pan (Industrial model -> long deep sump).

Yesterday I fixed 3 cylindersleeve top and removed steel/cast iron from seatrings and runners. New SS valves are bigger 1.55" size. Seat rings must make bigger approx 0.10" (2.5mm). 5hours and I get ready another side of engine. Runners, valvejobs. I make 3 angle (60dec / 46dec / 15dec).

Aulis

stoker-832.jpg stoker-833.jpg stoker-835.jpg stoker-836.jpg stoker-837.jpg stoker-838.jpg stoker-839.jpg stoker-840.jpg stoker-842.jpg stoker-843.jpg stoker-844.jpg

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    Stogy, charleyw, AndersF and 2 others like this.
  29. ruppi1932

ruppi1932
    from Germany

Do you have an aluminium oilpan for sale?

regards
    Matthias

30. AULIZ

AULIZ

Sorry, not now. Maybe before Christmas.
    Aulis

Stogy likes this.