Register now to get rid of these ads!

1932 Ford Roadster find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod36, Feb 18, 2013.

1. hotrod36

hotrod36

Recently a posting came up here on the Hamb with a deuce roadster for sale. I'm sure most people though it wasn't for real because of the low price and no phone number, and so did I. I decided I would send a message anyways and keep my fingers crossed. About two weeks later I received a phone call from an older gentleman Bill, with regards to a 32 Ford roadster he had for sale. I couldn't believe this was happening; I might have a chance to buy a deuce roadster which has been in storage for over 50 years. Anyways the story was true and this gentleman bought a channeled 32 Ford roadster in 1961. Around the same time he bought a 2 Tudor Sedan and cut it all apart so he could bring the roadster back up on the rails. He was going to restore it back to original.
    <O:p
    Bill has no internet skills and his neighbour was doing all the posting for him. Apparently leaving my phone number and name is why I was contacted first. He told me that a few people have been telling him that he had the price way to low and he should put this car on the auction site. <O:p
    Bill wanted to know where the car was going and wanted it to go to someone that he thought would build it for themselves. He also wanted to be a part of the building process but didn’t care if it was going to be original.
    I left work early with the excuse of being sick, pick up my Dad and meet up with Bill and his Roadster. We looked over the car for hours and could not come up with a deal. Having a small child, a mortgage, car payments etc., buying this car wasn’t really wasn’t in my budget. Lucky for me I have a father who is addicted to Hot Rods as much as I am. My father agreed to pay for the car as long as I will pay him back. His thinking was if I don’t pay for it, he will have a deuce Roadster, a win/win. We then went for a coffee where Bill began to tell stories of his past and he enjoyed stories of ours. At the end of the day we were a few thousand dollars away from each other and no deal was struck. <O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:p

That night I never slept more than two minutes and thought what was a 2g’s and how many times do you get the chance to buy a real Roadster. I called my dad on the way to work in the morning and mentioned about the mistake I think we made. He agreed and told me to make the deal happen. I called Bill and before I could give him a price, he told me he wanted me to have the car. We meet in the middle with the price and now I have a deuce Roadster. Bill mentioned that another guy was coming by to look at the car but insured me it was mine. That day at work was ruff; because no money was exchanged I was worried that the deal might fall through.
    Bill was a man of his word and that night in a snow storm my father (Monarch) our good friend Brad (upcanhr) and I picked up the Roadster. We joyed a few cold ones and homemade chilly that Bill brought for us. We all shared more stories snapped a bunch of pictures of the event. I am now a very proud owner of a Real 1932 Ford Roadster. <O:p</O:p
    The car is in real good condition except the subfloors and braces were removed back in the day when it was channeled. I believe I have all the pieces to bring the Roadster back to original from pieces cut from a 5 window and a 2 door Sedan that Bill acuminated over the years. The car came with several extra parts that I know I won’t be using and I will post those parts here for sale in the future. I have lots of plans for the car but until its paid for, its stored in the attic of my garage. What I do know is it will be Y block powered, with a five speed and a quick change. <O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:p

Thanks Pops, greatly appreciated <O:p</O:p

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. hotrod36

hotrod36

Here are more pic's

Attached Files:

3. Idaho/Dave

Idaho/Dave
    from Idaho

Congrats,great deal on a great project !

4. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Lucky you! Build it with your Dad if you can.

5. Nice score!!!
    Great story

6. Where was the car? HRP

7. hotrod36

hotrod36

The car was in Toronto, Canada and no car guys around here even knew it existed. It was stored for over fifty years. I'm very lucky and thankful

8. You lucky dude Jamie, now I have another reason to stop by for a visit.

Congrats to you and your old man! Glad your keeping it ford in ford!

9. hotrod36

hotrod36

Lol Eric, I still can't believe it happened. Again it wouldn't of happened if it wasn't for Pops.

10. hotrod36

hotrod36

The car also came with a real nice passenger side rear quarter for a five window coupe.

11. Al Napier

Al Napier
    from Central CT

Good on ya - Congrats!

Al in TN

12. Retro61

Retro61

Good job Pops!

13. Bart78

Bart78

Your lucky you have a dad that likes cars. Mine has allways told me to buy more cows. And that cars were a waste of money. Good luck with it.

14. b-bob

b-bob

A once in a lifetime find, congrats.

15. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

good story---that waiting makes for a long day at work

16. hamz52

hamz52
    from so cal

Thats a great story. Sounds like you have two guys you need to have in it with you when you take it out on its first spin around the block!

17. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Congrats! Can't wait for the build thread!!

18. MBog

MBog

Only in Canada eh! Good for you...

19. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

note to self...send Jamie a Lucky Basturd card...

20. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

I have to remember that sudden illness next time somethig pops up on CL that wont still be around till 5:30.

21. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Great story and you will always have the memory of the search, purchase and build. Keep us posted.

22. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Oh man, good for you! I messaged the seller 23 mins after it was listed but didn't leave a full name and phone number...live and learn. I'd be interested in any roadster only parts you might have left over. Have fun with it. JohnnyA

23. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Damn... I hate it when this happens close to home!

Just kidding, congrats, looks like a GREAT start!

24. I PM'd the guy as well...Great to hear it was a legit deal!

25. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

26. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Shit. I PM'd him right away and was willing to drive up that day to get that thing but he never returned my PM's!!!! Damn it!!!! Great score man!!!

27. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Since he never responded I thought it was probably bullshit or a scam. Glad someone on here hot it.

28. Glad the right guy got it. I recall seeing it for sale. Enjoy, knowing we all envy you.

29. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

Good for you man.

Congrats on a great score!!!

Dve