Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1932 ford roadster/coupe where is your battery?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ct1932ford, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Stuck mine in trunk behind passenger seat. Built pine box with barn door handles and used sealed battery. Ratchet strap to tie it all down...

2. Managed to finish off the wiring and the battery cranks the engine :D
    Great small compact battery.

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

This is an old one... at my limited level of experience, I'd recomend that:

- mount it where you can use jumper cables easily without worry of shorts on the body, etc.

- avoid those big remote jumper terminals if your battery is hidden away. Just too easy to get them shorted when you are using them (unless you have a glass car!). Instead get a RV-sized plug set and create special jumper cables you carry that just plugs into your car, and has standard alligator camps on the other end.

- put a cut-off switch in the line, again in a convenient spot, for maintenance, anti-theft, or other power related problems. It doesn't have to be on the battery.

- if you put the battery in a box, make sure the lid comes of easily (ie fast!) and without need of special tools. Don't forget the vent hose.

- don't cover it in upholstery or, worst yet, upholstery over a sealed box - emergency access is way too difficult

- don't put it in the trunk way back where it will get burried in coolers, luggage, chairs, irons, parts, tents, etc. and you have to unload the entire trunk to charge or jump the battery. More than likely it will also be raining.

I'm thinking of putting the battery in my next build in some kind of sunken storage box in the floor behind one of the seats. The lid would have to have a good seal and some sort of simple, wing-nutted latch to hold the lid closed. Gary

4. Mine was in the truck on my roadster. HRP

5. Your Roadster has a TRUCK:eek:

6. Lawson Cox

Lawson Cox

Now that is NEAT.

7. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

Here's mine.

Attached Files:

8. The battery in my roadster was in the trunk. HRP

9. 2935ford

2935ford

Here's what the Early V8 Garage offers......with the very thin Odyssey pc925 battery and their battery mount it fits between the frame rails and allows for the exhaust to be run underneath as they use thick steel for the bottom battery shelf.
    Pretty much right were it originally was.

Attached Files:

10. ericjustus

ericjustus
    from Chino, CA

I know this is an old thread but I just came across this. I think I'm going to have to copy this! I have this battery in my other car, too. Nice piece, too bad you don't make them.

11. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg image.jpeg In the trunk, vented cooler /w shut off.

ct1932ford and LOU WELLS like this.
  12. Thanks! My roadster has been on the road five years with this battery. No problems at all! That mount is not that difficult to make. Good luck and keep us posted.

ericjustus likes this.