Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1932 Ford Pickup Gas tank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Michael_e, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Michael_e

Michael_e

I'm just starting to gather parts for my 32 pickup build and was wondering if any one is using the original fuel tank. Maybe I should explain my situation, My 32 cab originally was on a large (1 1/2 ton) truck chassis, I don't know if the pickup trucks had a different gas tank or not, but what I've got is a original tank that goes across the sub rails and is approximately 44x15x7. This is roughly a 20 gal tank. I'm thinking about using it but there are a couple of problems with that; the fill opening is right on top under where the passenger seat will be, and then the tank is 7 inches tall and I'm 6' 1". So, to use the original fill I will need to have some form of flip forward passenger seat. Also with this plan there comes the issue of filling the tank inside of the cab, possible spillage and fumes. I could possibly fab a fill tube to route outside the cab, but where to locate it with the top higher than the top of the tank.
    And there is the issue of my height and the height of the tank. I really like the look of a 32 with a 2 inch chop, and things are already snug in there to begin with. So, what do you guys think? What have you done?
    Mike

2. Why not get a tank to mount outside the cab. Might have to fill it from inside the bed. Tanks makes one that will work with just a little fab work. Just my opinion.

3. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Put it at the back under the bed where a passenger car one goes. That's what I'm doing. You'll have to either cut a door in the bed floor to fill up, or make a neck that comes out under the side like a 33-34 pickup.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

On the last 3 deuce pus I've built I cut the top out of the stock tank and used it for a seat riser/electrical/battery and tool storage. Put the tank on the back frame horns like a car and filled it thru a door in the bed floor. Starting deuce pu number 4 and doing the same thing. By the way I'm 6.2/240 and managed to fit in all 3 with chopped tops.

5. I am having the same dilema after a bit of garage driving in mine. 6`1" and with the stock seat, have to crouch to see out the windshield.
    My thoughts were to modify the seats by removing the springs and going with a denser foam. I like the tank in the rear but not the filling options.

6. All the 32 pickups had the gas tank under the seat.

I chose to remove the tank because I disliked the idea of sitting on a gas tank and smelling gas inside the cab.

I fabricated a lower profile seat frame mimicking the style of the gas tank and used the area for wiring and the heat & air unit beneath the seat.

[​IMG]

I used a passenger car gas tank with access to the filler through the bed. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bct likes this.
  7. Michael_e

Michael_e

Thanks for the ideas. I had not thought about using the area for storage, battery, wiring, ac and other things. And I now remember NealinCa had his tank in the rear with the fill neck mounted like a 33/34 mentioned above. And it's good to hear that up big guys can fit into one of these trucks. The tank in my cab was a mouse hotel and brothel for many years. I doubt I could have ever got it clean enough to use without removing the top anyway.
    Thanks,
    Mike