Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1932 Ford Kingpin Question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Airborne34, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

Working on a 1932 Ford with stock dropped axle and 1940 Ford spindles. Seems the axle king pin boss was reamed to .814 at some point in the past. I have rebuilt spindles with .812 king pins. Well they obviously don’t fit right and seem loose on the axle.

Do they make larger kingpins that I could use to make up the difference. All the vendors seem to have the .812

2. TCTND

TCTND

You could bore and sleeve the axle then ream it to the correct size.

3. Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

I haven’t put it together all the way to include the cross bolt. My .814 ream fits right thru the axle boss, bearings and king pins are nice and tight at .812

I’ll put it together all the way and see if things tighten up, but the .002 slop in the axle boss had me concerned.

5. speedshifter

speedshifter

How about machining new .814 king pins from quality steel such as 4140? an easy project on a lathe. Then ream the bushings to fit. The dropped axle I used on my roadster had the same problem. The home machined k pins now have 47,000 miles on them. An easy solution. Greg

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  6. King pin doesn't fit tight to axle. Only fits tight to spindle.
    Wedge bolt holds kingpin in place in relation to axle.
    Note the flat side on king pin about in middle of length. This is where lock wedge pin grabs king pin.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

you could have the kingpins hard chromed to .814 & ream the spindles to match .

big duece and HemiDeuce like this.
  8. adam401

adam401

Ive used axles with worn kingpin bosses but my experience is when assembled its worn bushings in the spindle that have caused me issues. I know thats not what you were asking but id assemble it and feel it. I think its just gonna be fine

pprather likes this.
  9. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

I had the same problem with the dropped original axle under my '37 1/2 ton, the king pin was loose in the bore. I took the axle out and took it to "nostalgia sid" in Oklahoma(i live in st. louis). He said he could shrink the bore, ream it, and align the axle. I saw the equipment he has and the quality of the work that he does, i feel 100% confident in recommending him. I think the king pin bores get stretched sometimes during the axle dropping process.
    Tom

10. Couple thou doesn't sound like much. The lock pin wedges the kingpin in place. If you feel it is too loose to do so; you can easily tune up the eye using a torch, hammer and an old kingpin.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    dirty old man likes this.
  11. What happened when you assembled it with the wedge bolts?
    @Airborne34
    Phil

12. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

It appears that it will be snug with no problems.

pprather likes this.